Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordova Handmade Caps / Johnny J's work

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Got a new cap from Johnny. I'd sent my original back because it was too big, my fault I might add, and Johnny said he'd take care of it. Once in his hands he decided it would be easier to make me a new one than alter the original. He was out of the original fabric but had some that was similar. I think I like the replacement better. Turn around was quick too. That's customer service gents. Tip of the cap to Johnny. Thought I'd post a pix of the original compared to the new one.

Original
IMG_0180.jpg

Replacement
IMG_0196_zps8cb34dda.jpg

Happy capper
P1000740_zps8938bc51.jpg

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Mike !!!!
Dressed to Kill !
with that cap & jacket nice man......
sorta reminded my wife Silvia of Al Capone as the young Driver on Boardwalk Empire.
Johnny J Excellent Work !

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Got a new cap from Johnny. I'd sent my original back because it was too big, my fault I might add, and Johnny said he'd take care of it. Once in his hands he decided it would be easier to make me a new one than alter the original. He was out of the original fabric but had some that was similar. I think I like the replacement better. Turn around was quick too. That's customer service gents. Tip of the cap to Johnny. Thought I'd post a pix of the original compared to the new one.
Happy capper
P1000740_zps8938bc51.jpg

Now that cap is SHARP!

Mike I agree, the replacement fabric has a rich look. Not better, just different. I can see with a richer felted fabric like your camel colored blazer the cap would work out well. I bet that the new hat would also go with a blue blazer with a complimentary colored tie. That would be something that I could get into wearing. Somehow, no matter what I intend, the blue blazer is always the choice for the evening out. I do not know if you make similar blazer choices. I do like the look of the balzer you are wearing. The weather is good for caps, according to Google weather in your area of the world.

From the pic, the amount of fabric is good. The amount of fabric in the dome of the cap is a difficult scenario, as the different fabrics all present different drapes. Mike did you ask for the brim width? (I am working out a new order for a JohnnyJ cap and have been toying with the brim width. )

Congrats Mike and JohnnyJ!

JohnnyJ my cap is tipped in your direction this evening. - You are a gentleman and due for good things in business.

Eric -

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Che, Thanks, you are my vintage inspiration and mentor but I don't even rate to your kool-kat look. In fact although these are vintage clothes they really don't look like it in the pix to me. But I'm try'n! I've found chasing the vintage look is a real challenge and I think it's turning into an OCD.

Eric, Thanks too, you are always looking swell in your posts. I haven't worn a blazer in ages and only since joining the Lounge have I decided too dress myself up a bit. I had 4 nice coats lost in a closet including blue which I used to wear often with jeans. All 4 no longer fit and 3 are off the Goodwill and 1 will end up in the classifieds here. I found the camel hair coat above recently at a thrift shop for $17 and the shirt is a 40's rayon off ebay that was still in the original package. It was like opening a time capsule! The shirt and Johnny's fine cap both arrived at the same time so I decided to just throw them on with the coat since the flecks in the cap match. That's what's nice about the cap, I think it will go with a lot of colors.

I didn't specify the brim width, which is 7 3/4. Although I don't have the original cap to compare it to, I think this one is just a wee bit smaller all around. It may be that or it may be the drape of the fabric, but this one looks better on me and I'm very happy with my very first vintage style cap. It's going to come in handy, the season is changing quickly here.

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Mike; Thanks for the reply. To my eye, the brim looks smaller - I like this brim width.

Dressing up more - good for you. I find that when I am wearing something I enjoy I feel better and the day is brighter. Glad you found a camel blazer. It should prove to get more wear in the cooler weather. I agree that the shirt and blazer look great together.

If you were channeling more of a Che' look - you chose a good target. I hope I can get an autograph from you when you are a Gawranteed, card carrying Kool-Kat!

Eric -

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Looks great on you Mike! So everyone knows, I changed the brim size on my caps a little while ago to be closer to an original 1920s size. They are now about 2 5/8 x 7 7/8 at the widest parts. Of course, if anyone wanted the brims smaller or larger that would be no problem.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Got this one in the mail last week, couldn't be more pleased. Original 1890's deadstock linen.

(Just recycling his pictures because I'm a terrible model haha)

IMG_0923_zpse6a2ffe8.jpg

IMG_0917_zps7dc1dc18.jpg

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Flute, you look just like Johnny!

Thanks Johnny and Manfred, need all the confidence I can muster. Johnny you are a prince for making this happen.

Eric, fat chance I'll ever reach Kool-Kat status! Just happy to play along for now :)

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Simonds and Tom, I appreciate your comments. Nothing like positive reinforcement when your not sure about something. Thanks!

Manfred, your new cap is worthy of your excitement, great looking vintage fabric. I can already picture it on your noggin! Prost!

Last edited:

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Diamond Tweed Fabric

Got this wonderful Diamond Tweed fabric from Scotland today. For now I have enough for 3 caps in the brown and 3 caps in the silver. If you would like another color, this fabric takes from 15 days to 1 month to arrive. PM me for prices:

IMG_1027.jpg

IMG_1028.jpg

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Johnny J !
Amazing Fabric's all 3 just beautiful !!!!!!
hey cap lovers,,,he's only got enough of the Brown Diamond Irish Tweed for 2 cap's now......
man i wish i had the bucks for 1 of each...........Man what a Vice this hat & cap craze is .....

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Johnny J !
Amazing Fabric's all 3 just beautiful !!!!!!
hey cap lovers,,,he's only got enough of the Brown Diamond Irish Tweed for 2 cap's now......
man i wish i had the bucks for 1 of each...........Man what a Vice this hat & cap craze is .....

Amen bro!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL