Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordova Handmade Caps / Johnny J's work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
Johnny J, you've probably answered this already and i missed it: what do you use inside the peak / bill ?

I use a thin plastic sheet that I cover with thin interfacing. Has been working out just fine and is not stiff, but pretty flexible. I have to sew the interfacing on to the plastic so it doesnt move around and bunch up when you bend it.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
I use a thin plastic sheet that I cover with thin interfacing. Has been working out just fine and is not stiff, but pretty flexible. I have to sew the interfacing on to the plastic so it doesnt move around and bunch up when you bend it.

if you bent the peak down more at the sides would it spring back or stay put ?

also, have you ever take a 30s cap apart to see what material was used in the peak ?

thanks.

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
if you bent the peak down more at the sides would it spring back or stay put ?

also, have you ever take a 30s cap apart to see what material was used in the peak ?

thanks.

It springs back, but you can easily mold it and it will stay. I have a 1920s Malrov cap and the bill or brim does the exact same thing.
Also, I have never taken a 20s/30s cap apart, cause I haven't found one that is beat up enough to do that. I only have my Malrov and this one is way too nice to take apart.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Johnny I work with a woman who use to make cap's here in town. She told me they use to use cardboard inside the bill's of their cap's but changed to plastic as the will would get wet and then the get all messed up and could not be reshaped properly. I showed her your cap's and she said that they where very well made.:)

Paul Roerich

"A List" Customer
I've seen three materials inside the visors of vintage caps. The oldest was thick, saddle-grade leather. The most typical I've seen is cardboard. Occasionally, I've seen natural rubber (whose rubbery smell never goes away).

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
My Cordova Cap arrived today.
That is truly a masterpiece. I really enjoy it, Johnny. Long wait has now an end.
You are right it was to small. I stretched it a bit and now it sits perfect!
Thank you very much Johnny for this great Job. The wait was it worth.

wear156.jpg

Johnny J

Call Me a Cab
I've seen three materials inside the visors of vintage caps. The oldest was thick, saddle-grade leather. The most typical I've seen is cardboard. Occasionally, I've seen natural rubber (whose rubbery smell never goes away).

Yes, Paul is right. I did take apart a 1960s cap and it did have cardboard, also somewhere I did read on an old ad that some company's did start to use rubber and thats what it feels like on my Malrov.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
Chepstow
A Stunner my brother !
This is a time capsule cap .
i really like the 3 pictures they show the great profile very well.....
Simply Outstanding !
Enjoy it !
Johnny J, i am Proud of you.

TomS

One Too Many
Hi Folks:
Here is my contribution to the thread honoring Mr. Cordova's exceptional work. I have to say the the quality in my cap is exceptional. I decided on the black cherry wool, in the eight point style. I really do enjoy wearing it! Without a doubt, these hats make a statement! I have received several compliments on mine already. I have taken a few quickie pics, so you guys can get a feel for the color and look of the thiing.
Best,
Tom
IMG_1526_zps24f74092.jpg

IMG_1518.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL