Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan bleed has never diminished...

wdw

One Too Many
Over the last 3 years I've bought 4 cordovan jackets and only experienced a small amount of bleed on one, which disappeared after a few rubs with a cloth.

I can well understand @zebedee's frustration, but I wouldn't be put off ordering one, as these cases seem pretty isolated.

How about a dose of HWT, followed up with a good rubbing when dry? That way you get the knackered look, plus hopefully less bleed.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I have a similar issue with my horween no.8 boots, the inner side of my jeans and my socks get a nice aubergine colour every time I put these boots on.

zebedee

One Too Many
I might try the HWT followed by rubbing with a cloth. Will update if it works, but it's been out in the rain many times...

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
I don't recommend cordovan to people because of this issue- it seems a gamble whether you get 'territory marking' cordovan or not. I am hoping that with enough wear it'll stop, but it's hard accruing the wear unless I want to wear dark colours every time I put the thing on. What would either seal the leather or quickly take off excess dye?

If I recall I have used Leather CPR on my 1950's HB (Black FQHH) and it did diminish the rub off/marking a good bit when wearing lighter colored shirts. It seems to coat the leather somewhat but doesn't affect it's appearance and makes the hide feel softer to the touch. As my Cordovan LHB doesn't have this issue I have not used it on that jacket.

You can buy Leather CPR online for about $15.00 or so. It's worth a try and would allow you to wear your Cordovan jacket as you wish with lessened concern for marking.

Edward

Bartender
Had a small amount of this with my cordo Bootlegger when I first got it, though I don't think i recall it being a thnig for a long time. Never did anything more than leave a few marks on a shirt collar, which always washed off easily, so I never gave it much thought. I believe it's consdiered a risk with any of those hides, but that's the only one I've had it on.

cuchulain

Familiar Face
Maybe a good soak in water and let dry to get the excess dye out? Do that a few times and see if it's at least moving towards being resolved.

I have a CXL cordovan HH 1930's HB and I haven't noticed any bleed. The risk is worth it because the CXL HH cordovan hide is just incredible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner