Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan Chromexcel Steerhide Bootlegger - fit opinions and random thoughts wanted

rockandrollrabbit

One of the Regulars
Ah ha!!! Man I thought I recognized you! You were at the Lincoln square trick or treat thing in that jacket. I was wearing my iron heart trucker, I believe you asked if it was IH in a coffee shop. LOL. Small world!
We are in the same hood. I’m at Ravenswood and Lawrence.
Oh my God THAT WAS YOU!!!!

Hell yeah! I'll definitely be coming back to this thread with more thoughts on the fit of this 'Legger. Right now getting ready for the babysitter to come over. We're going to see Star Wars at the Davis.
I love that theater. Going to try and do the same myself this weekend.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So just to confuse matters...
DSC_0019 - Copy.JPG

DSC_0013 - Copy.JPG

And even more interesting is that I have a close friend living less than 2 miles from the area you all described. Next visit up there, I would like to try and meet up with some of you there!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
First of all: I believe your BL looks perfectly fine. That said, if you feel uncomfortable, that’s really the only thing that counts.

As others have said, the BL is quite a boxy pattern to begin with. I ordered mine in the „Premier“ pattern or „STF“. While usually wearing a 42, I sized up to a 44. works well for me, and still is NOT a trim jacket.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
0A977656-16F9-46A4-806D-E172F98A127A.jpeg

layered with an IH UHF Shirt.

Hard to judge the length on that pic, but I specified it on the shortish side. Used it as a winter car for my roadster, so I couldn’t have it riding up when seated. It covers 3/4 of my belt when standing up.

rockandrollrabbit

One of the Regulars
So I think I've got 4 options.

A) Keep it and live happily ever after. Those of you who suggested this, I thank you.

Or after selling it-

B) Stay with a 42, but most definitely don't add width to the side panels. Also shorten the body a tad. I think I'd prefer it shorter.

C) Size down to a 40, but specify the waist to be close to this. Maybe a smidge narrower even.

Or
D) Go with the Premier fit. This is becoming an increasingly attractive option to me. In which case, I may want to go up to a 44. The thing that kept me away from that in the first place, was higher armholes. On that Bronco A-2 of mine, the armholes are quite high, and are not my favorite thing about the jacket. The roominess of this Bootlegger makes it nothing if not comfortable. But I'm trying to strike a balance. So I guess the million dollar question is: What do Premier fit Bootlegger owners think of the armholes? Maybe Tom71 can chime in here. Can anyone speak to how they compare to a Bronco? Thanks everybody.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Looks great bro. Horse or steer?

So this is Tony's Bootlegger III. I bought it from him when he decided to move in a different direction. It was ordered as steer-hide, but in fact has the smoother, tighter grain and slightly more distinctive grain of FQHH. It's broken in quite nicely and is nearly a daily driver for me now. Thanks for the comments.

As for you, I'd keep it a few more months, keep wearing it (it certainly does not look bad) and see what you think around late winter/early springtime. It's true that these horse & steer jackets can be a bit tight if correctly fitted initially, but they soon loosen up to be a lot more comfortable with wear. I currently have on (Formerly Tony's) FQHH Navy Blue Premier Fit Highwayman (Size 44, I am generally a Size 40 in a standard Highwayman) and it was snug indeed at first. It has softened up and is very nice now even with a mid=weight sweatshirt under it.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

A) Keep it and live happily ever after. Those of you who suggested this, I thank you.

Or after selling it-

B) Stay with a 42, but most definitely don't add width to the side panels. Also shorten the body a tad. I think I'd prefer it shorter.

C) Size down to a 40, but specify the waist to be close to this. Maybe a smidge narrower even.

Or
D) Go with the Premier fit. This is becoming an increasingly attractive option to me. In which case, I may want to go up to a 44. The thing that kept me away from that in the first place, was higher armholes. On that Bronco A-2 of mine, the armholes are quite high, and are not my favorite thing about the jacket. The roominess of this Bootlegger makes it nothing if not comfortable. But I'm trying to strike a balance. So I guess the million dollar question is: What do Premier fit Bootlegger owners think of the armholes? Maybe Tom71 can chime in here. Can anyone speak to how they compare to a Bronco? Thanks everybody.

Personally, I find the armholes not a problem. I tried the “Premier Fit” with the BL as well as the HWM and the HalfBelt. All work well, even with some layering.
I totally see your point, though. My Board Racer fits great, but due to the high armholes I can’t layer even a light jumper. It’s just that the BL is cut more generous, even in the “premier” patten.

Hope this helps.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
This is a solid fit, especially considering you only wear a t-shirt. The moment you hop onto the "but it could be better in parts"-train, you'll spend thousands of dollars on ordering similar jacket because one inch longer, shorter, wider and every time you'll find another spot that could be just a little bit better. Just wear this one, it's a solid fit noone will give you shit for.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up

Or after selling it-

Or

Let me add a fifth option...
My bootleggers posted above are a combo of premier fit and regular, they are the regular bootlegger body but with premier fit arms.
So you don't get the high arm holes, but you get the skinnier arms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran