Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cordovan Chromexcel Steerhide Bootlegger - fit opinions and random thoughts wanted

rockandrollrabbit

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone. About a month ago I received my custom Bootlegger in cordovan chromexcel Steerhide. I'd like fit opinions. I specified to Carrie at Thurston Brothers that I wanted the fit roomy enough to layer under it, but now I'm rethinking that and have already started considering selling it on.

I'm including shots of me wearing it over a T-shirt, to see if cinching the straps all the way is enough to make it work over just a shirt. The thing is, I get this major crease on the right side, opposite the exterior chest pocket. I think the culprit is the extra .75 inch on each side panel. Or is this something other Bootlegger owners have encountered?

I'd also like to hear opinions on the length. How far below the belt is the Bootlegger typically meant to go? It feels long to me, as evidenced by the bunching up, and the way it rides up when I'm driving. But I'm having a hard time deciding how much. If anyone would like to post pics of themselves in their Bootlegger, to show off what they feel is a good fit, by all means. Any opinions on mine are welcome. Thanks guys.
Screenshot_20191112-012515_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191112-012525_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191220-110842_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191220-111034_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191220-111735_Gallery.jpg

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hey, welcome.

To me it looks too big in the lats/chest area, gives you a bit of a flying squirrel look, but it looks good in the waist.
The Bootlegger is already a large jacket for its tag size (24.5" pit to pit on a size 40!) so if you ordered your regular size and added width on top of that i am not surprised it feels huge.
Getting a custom fit where you go a size down but ask for the bottom hem to be similar to this one might be your best option.
Length looks good, IMO riding is more to do with how Aero cuts their patterns than length, mine are short and they ride more than average when raising arms or driving.

Saying all that it is not a bad fit by any means, it could be tighter IMO, but it does not look bad.

Here are pics of mine, definitely not a fitted jacket, but not as big as yours, the straps are halfway tight (personally if i had to tighten the straps all the way in i would consider the jacket too large for me):

They are both size 40, i am a 42 in Aero cafe racer and a 42 in 95% of brands

cB0PQ9q.jpg

L0qPbJQ.jpg

eH9xppV.jpg

TXU6w0f.jpg

@ton312 has been elected "King of the Bootlegger" and he got an even better fit than mine...

Last edited:
@ton312 has been elected "King of the Bootlegger" and he got an even better fit than mine...
I was removed by force from office! @rockandrollrabbit I think the fit through the chest/shoulders & lengths look good. The problem is the excess material at the gut, which you really don't need. Adding 1.5" total to the torso is quite a bit. That said I don't think it looks bad by any means. Pulling the half belt all the way in will have the opposite effect and will actually exacerbate the extra material "look" as opposed to minimizing it.
no additional body width:
img_7353-jpg.100057

Adding 1/2" to each side panel:
2b4cd1e3-3d76-457e-8a77-59a0269d59f7-jpeg.155085

rockandrollrabbit

One of the Regulars
Interesting. I had been thinking the shoulders were good at least; the seams are about where I thought they should be. Maybe sizing down is the obvious starting point to the solution. I did the fit jacket with Thurston, and the 42 Highwayman looked good in the shoulders I thought. I should be clear- a roomy fit was exactly what I specified, and Carrie delivered. It's just, shall we say, a bit more than I was expecting.

Last edited:

rockandrollrabbit

One of the Regulars
As for the length, it comes down almost to my hips. I think I could maybe go down as much as an inch. But I don't know how much the extra inch and a half is affecting that.

Interesting. I had been thinking the shoulders were good at least; the seams are about where I thought they should be. Maybe sizing down is the obvious starting point to the solution. I did the fit jacket with Thurston, and the 42 Highwayman looked good in the shoulders I thought. I should be clear- a roomy fit was exactly what I specified, amd Carrie delivered. It's just, shall we say, a bit more than I was expecting.
What size did you order? 42"?

Psant25

One Too Many
I sized down for my highwayman. Size 40 chest got 38 highwayman and still plenty room to layer. I Think the same holds true for the bootlegger pattern sizing down one.

I would flip it and try again if you are questioning it. Just order from aero send them an email. Drop a size from chest and add a little length if needed.

If you need to make numerous adjustments to a pattern and you have pretty normal proportions just consider a different pattern.
brad

Yep, 42. Extra .75 inch on each side, extra length in the sleeves and body. When I get home I can post specifics for those. The sleeves are perfect.
I think the lengths and the chest and shoulders look good. It's a little blousey in the gut..The thing about the BL is that, while it does taper, it's not nearly as severe as the CR or M/C jackets. It is more tapered by default than the 50's & 30's HB'S. You likely didn't need to add the additional width. If you ask me it is not worth starting over on...but only you can know for sure.

Mich486

One Too Many
The hooch hauler imho is a more flattering pattern for a regular body shape.

There seems to be a lot of extra material around the armpit area, especially from the back, even if getting the size right, like on Carlos pictures. Maybe it’s the low armholes/the way the sleeves are set, I don’t know, but it seems to me a problem with several Aero patterns.

Ton looks good because he is very muscular so he fills up the top part nicely.

Just my 2 cents. Actually I don’t think it looks too bad on you that jacket just I’m not sure how much better you could do with this pattern. Sizing down won’t solve all of your issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
I think it looks fine, particularly considering you are only wearing a tshirt. However, if you’re posting here it is too late. Deep in your mind you’ve already decided. It’s the $400 try on. All part of the game.

I just checked your handle. You’re in Chicago. Get a warm vest and wear the jacket from now until St Pats.

Btw, did you previously post a great pic of an A2 (possibly overlooking Western ave? If so, i spent some time looking for that.)

rockandrollrabbit

One of the Regulars
I think it looks fine, particularly considering you are only wearing a tshirt. However, if you’re posting here it is too late. Deep in your mind you’ve already decided. It’s the $400 try on. All part of the game.

I just checked your handle. You’re in Chicago. Get a warm vest and wear the jacket from now until St Pats.

Btw, did you previously post a great pic of an A2 (possibly overlooking Western ave? If so, i spent some time looking for that.)
Screenshot_20191220-160733_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20191220-160733_Gallery.jpg
Sure did, last summer. That's our old place at Western and Leland. Thanks!

Edit: It wasn't last summer, it was August of 2018.

Last edited:
View attachment 201694 View attachment 201694 Sure did, last summer. That's our old place at Western and Leland. Thanks!
Ah ha!!! Man I thought I recognized you! You were at the Lincoln square trick or treat thing in that jacket. I was wearing my iron heart trucker, I believe you asked if it was IH in a coffee shop. LOL. Small world!
We are in the same hood. I’m at Ravenswood and Lawrence.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo