Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Costume vs. natural

Foofoogal

Banned
With men, a suit's pretty much a suit to the untrained eye.

I agree with Bella. It is a very rare person I believe that can look polished from head to toe whether wearing vintage or newer clothes. It is like an artist. You either have it or don't. I am not suggesting I do but do know when one does.
I try to mix and match vintage but for me mainly it is the quality of the product vs the look though that matters. A well made suit or dress just blows one away.
I have seen, sold and bought vintage clothing that should be hung up like art in restaurants. In fact I sold a jacket once that was framed and used for that purpose. :eek:fftopic:
Vintage cardigans are my big thing and I am hooked on sweater guards. I do wear them on a regular basis. If I was going to a vintage event I could and would go all out and would love it.
I so admire the photos of everyone here and wish the other threads were still here to see the different outfits more.
I am sure many of the FLers live vicariously thru some of the ones here.

just_me

Practically Family
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. It's something I've wondered about since joining this board.

I agree that dressing in vintage "fads" will seem like a costume.

How you wear an outfit (your attitude about yourself and the clothing) does make a difference.

LizzieMaine is right too. If it's the wrong era for your personality, it will not look natural.

Miss_Bella_Hell is also right on the money. A man dressed in a suit, shirt, and tie is going to look well dressed no matter what era the clothing comes from if they are quality garments and fit well. Most people won't know the different on whether it's vintage or not. Women's fashions have changed drastically and are a lot more obvious; especially hair, makeup, and accessories.

Skeet - good for you having the strength to be who you were at an already difficult age.

BTW, I have 8mm film somewhere of me walking around in Central Park (NYC) in about 1965 wearing a top hat.
lol

Sapphire

One of the Regulars
I think you have that in modern everyday clothing as well. I wear a suit at work every day for nearly 20 years and feel even more comfortable in it than with a pair of stiff jeans. Others, however, who are not used to wearing suits (because they don't have to, don't like them, find them to be not practical, etc, whatever) sometimes look a bit out of place when wearing one. On some wedding photos of friends of mine, the bride looks wonderful and charming while the bridegroom looks as if his arms were installed the wrong way round.

On vintage clothing I think it is a matter of not overdoing it by pulling all clichees at once. I also believe that it is a matter of age - we have a 1950s festival here in Germany where you see many ladies in their late 50s (to be gentle), wearing knee-length pink polka dot dresses with humongous petticoat layers, bobby socks and cat-eye glasses, which might be big fun for them but looks, well, like a carnival costume. Have not seen these extremes in here though...

Cheers,
Tom

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
chanteuseCarey said:
Thank you for sharing this. I so appreciate everything you are saying here. Our 7th grade son loves to wear his blazers, dress shirts, slacks and ties....Obviously, he doesn't follow the "herd" either....He doesn't care what his peers think of what he is wearing, he feels good about it and he's secure enough to know he is dressed well, and that that is a good thing.

Chere Chanteuse,

Well. You made my day. Your lad sounds like there's little doubt but that he will thrive and be all he can be. Good for him! And good for you; he'll have full support at home, something I didn't have. My parents (God bless them) didn't try to stop me doing what I was doing....but were clearly unhappy about it, feeling (quite correctly) that "I would make a mark of myself" and, being children of the Depression, that I "would never get a job, dressing like that" (which was not correct).

Again: the intention behind the clothes will shine through. If one is dressing "oddly" just to gain attention, people will see that and sense the superficiality of the gesture. If the clothes and demeanor express deeply the person behind them, that will be just as apparent. That's only half the battle, of course (because there are people out there who are incapable, or unwilling, to look beyond the superficial)...but it's the half we have control over.

I think, assuming your lad is willing, we need to see some photos of our next generation, carrying good style into the future! Thanks again,

"Skeet"

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
With men, a suit's pretty much a suit to the untrained eye.

Aside from the occasional "gangster pinstripe" (gaudy in any era) or very wide lapels, it's usually the accessories that transform a vintage suit into a costume. This balance is why I admire Kools' style of dress. He could easily go over the edge with some of his outfits with the wrong accessories, but keeps the look simple and masculine with perfect restraint.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
okay Skeet, PICS for ya

Thank you for the encouragement to myself, and for all of us who want to be true to ourselves and wear what makes us feel good, even if its different than the herd...
Below are some pics of young Daniel taken at the Heritage Holidays event at the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite the beginning of March.He made quite an impression there as he is a ballroom dancer and a good lead. He has worn the white tie and tails for several occasions since we bought it in early December and his regular single breasted tuxedo too. He loves this vintage authentic USN shirt and wears it often. After we got back home, he wore it to do a presentation for two of his classes telling about his trip and about the Art Deco era.

Daniel in his best Fred Astaire look. He wants a collapsible top hat of course! In black tie for the Gala Dinner in the Grand Dining Room. Its a rental, if there was vintage in his size we'd sure love to find it!
360023941.jpg

Taken after the vintage fashion show. Daniel in his authentic WWII Petty Officer third class gunner's mate USN shirt. He's even got the "ruptured duck" badge for an honorable discharge. Look who's with him- its FLer of the awesome avatars WingNut!
360023930.jpg

Taken with members of BAWMHRS (Bay Area Women's and Men's Historical Recreation Society). We have lots of pics like this, with Daniel saluting alongside the officers.
360023937.jpg

Daniel in white tie and tails (his own, not a rental) dressed for the Grand Ball the next and final night. It was a picture for all the guys there in their top hats, but they wanted Daniel to join in the pic, and the gentleman behind him loaned him his hat for the photo.
360023935.jpg

[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Chere Chanteuse,

Well. You made my day. Your lad sounds like there's little doubt but that he will thrive and be all he can be. Good for him! And good for you; he'll have full support at home, something I didn't have.

I think, assuming your lad is willing, we need to see some photos of our next generation, carrying good style into the future! Thanks again,

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

irb

Familiar Face
For me, I enjoy good hats and they just feel natural. I like to dress well, but every now and again, as someone up above mentioned, I do get a feeling of theatricality and decide to do something that I'll admit might be more of a costume. Sometimes, for example, I'll get out the vest and coat, pocket watch and all the other stuff, and just enjoy the feel of it all. I suppose it is playing a role of sorts, since it's deliberate, but it's not how I go about town normally.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
chanteuseCarey said:
Below are some pics of young Daniel taken at the Heritage Holidays event at the Ahwahnee Hotel in Yosemite the beginning of March.He made quite an impression there as he is a ballroom dancer and a good lead.

What a handsome lad! And he wears his clothes well. Thanks for sharing him with us...

"Skeet"

Kadri

Familiar Face
Gosh,chanteuseCarey-your kid is growing up to be a real gentleman!:)
Taking into account his generationm,it's the rarerst of rare things.

Oh-and he wears the clothes VERY naturally.Nothing costumey about it!

I applaud you for good parentship! :eusa_clap

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Kadri ...

Here are a couple of pics of his older sister! DD Sarah is 14-1/2yo and in 9th grade.

Here she is on New Year's Eve 2008 when we all went out formal on the USS Hornet in Alameda, CA. The new but vintage inspired black bias silk charmeuse with sequined bodice CK floor length dress also has a matching all sequined bolero jacket. She had an updo that started to fall out with dancing, but that made lots of long curly bits-looked even prettier that way. I put gold sparkle hairspray in her hair. Her makeup was done at Nordstrom.
360073201.jpg
This is the vintage fur she wore to her H.S. Sadie Hawkins dance in Feb.09 with the same dress. Makeup this time done by Mommy. The theme was "A Night in Hollywood". She took the fur and dress on our Art Deco Yosemite trip.
360073203.jpg

Kadri said:
Taking into account his generation,it's the rarerst of rare things.

Barbigirl

Practically Family
Comfortable Vintage Kids

ChanteuseCarey, it is fascinating to see some more kids that dig the vintage styles and look comfortable in them. My old baby Emily (17) always picks something vintage to wear to formals because she says, "vintage dresses go better with my fur coat."

That being said, on the few occasions she has worn something modern she works that too.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
thanks Barbigirl...

That's great your daughter's comment about the fur and vintage dresses. I'll tell my Sarah that she said that.

Barbigirl said:
ChanteuseCarey, it is fascinating to see some more kids that dig the vintage styles and look comfortable in them.
My old baby Emily (17) always picks something vintage to wear to formals because she says, "vintage dresses go better with my fur coat."

That being said, on the few occasions she has worn something modern she works that too.

Lotta Little

One of the Regulars
LizzieMaine said:
Context is everything, and so is the type of person you yourself are. Some vintage looks just don't work for some people -- for me, the "bombshell" look would be obviously "costume," because I don't have the personality to go with it. In terms of '40s iconography, I'm more like the stern lady from the rationing board than a Petty Girl, and I know my limits.
I think you're absolutely right. My day-to-day look is vintage-inspired, and leans toward the bombshell, I guess. Last summer I wore a black belted shirtdress from some mall store a couple of times and heard "Who are you trying to be, June Cleaver?" the first time and "You look like a flight attendant." the second time. Apparently it was too far out-of-character for me!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
young DS Daniel really enjoys the clothes, too

The vintage and vintage inspired look really seems to suit him. He is a Fred Astaire wannabe, he says Fred A. is his style role model. Daniel told me a few weeks back, "I think I need an Art Deco wardrobe now."

For years I've said that with Daniel, I'm raising the only romantic of his generation (at least out here in No Calif). He even knows how to ballroom dance, and is a good lead.

I had said for a long time to DH Chuck that we should wait to buy him a tux until he is 16, but it just worked out that he got one at almost 12-1/2...

Kadri said:
Taking into account his generationm,it's the rarerst of rare things.

Mojito

One Too Many
ChanteauseCarey, you have very handsome children!

I tend to wear vintage influenced outfits in my day to day wear - or at least with vintage influenced elements - but not exactly top to toe. My hair is bobbed and I love strands of beads and rich textiles, so there's often going to be a 20s vibe even if it's this season by Lee Mathews. When attending vintage events I'll do a range of 20s looks, from those that are near-contemporary (some of those soft floral chiffons, for example) to the downright theatrical. I can very consciously do the obvious 1920s looks - and will often call it "flappering it up" when it's a cliche - but I try to avoid the stagey, when every element popular culture associates with a particular era is worn all at the same time, as in some examples referred to above.

I'm afraid it's my personality to wear something a a bit out of synch with most around me because I enjoy it - my friends make good natured jokes at my expense when I trot up to a football game wearing a pretty frou-frou skirt and silver ballet slips (apparently, this does not pass as casual), but they just accept it as my personal style.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Dressing up in a suit w. tie is costume to me.
I feel akward and not "myself" in that, while I - on the other hand - easily grab my Irvin flying jacket and heavy 1936 Pattern RAF flying boots, when going to work. And I am NOT a pilot and it's NOT 1940.

I think it all depends on what you feel "at home" in.

Lillemor

One Too Many
I've thought of this in the context of the Hollywood movies I'm taking my inspiration from these days and what I've seen my family wear in photos from the 1940s-50s and the styles and standards are MILES appart! So even if the older generations that wore adult styles in the 1940s-50s had still been alive, they would've probably seen my style as costumey on any day where I decide to go to whole hog.

My choice of colors and combinations do get me strange looks from fellow Danes who generally suit different colors and hues than me or at least they the fellow Danes I see around me choose softer, more subdued shades than I do. If they wear anything bright, it's usually not on the scale and in the combinations I put together. I've always been theatrical and often wear stuff others reserve for special occasions. On the other hand I'm very conservative and not very glamorous so I probably don't induce envy in anyone. I'm very mumsy, just very colorful momsy or even gothic momsy.lol

In any modern context, I look costumey, at least in my rural area. I haven't been to CPH in 5 years and it's nearing a year since I've been to Århus. So I've no idea whether I'll blend in, disappear or look costumey there. I don't care either. I know that would've been my attitude in any era because that's the attitude women in my family have always had. We dress for ourselves and no one else!

Kadri

Familiar Face
chanteuseCarey said:
The vintage and vintage inspired look really seems to suit him. He is a Fred Astaire wannabe, he says Fred A. is his style role model. Daniel told me a few weeks back, "I think I need an Art Deco wardrobe now."

For years I've said that with Daniel, I'm raising the only romantic of his generation (at least out here in No Calif). He even knows how to ballroom dance, and is a good lead.

I had said for a long time to DH Chuck that we should wait to buy him a tux until he is 16, but it just worked out that he got one at almost 12-1/2...

That's funny,I've always told my friends,that if I ever have kids,I will raise them to be insufferable romantics.

It's wonderful and adorable that a boy your son's age says Fred Astaire is his style icon and wants an art deco wardrobe :D

Let's face it,most boys his age play mind-numbing video games,get into various escapades and throw rocks at girls.At least they did when I was that age about 9 years ago:eusa_doh:

Oh,and your daughter looks adorable,too!

Maybe you just have 'vintage genes' in your family lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran