Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Costume vs. natural

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Bonnie & Clyde

Some observations from Manolo the Shoeblogger about the real Bonnie & Clyde vs. the actors who portrayed them:

bonnie1-243x300.jpg
faye1-236x300.jpg

Bonnie_and_Clyde-241x300.jpg

Faye_and_Warren-245x300.jpg

These photos are also striking because the take us beyond the differences in clothing and physical beauty, (Faye Dunaway is indisputably beautiful, and dressed by the famous professional, and yet Bonnie outshines her) into the realm of attitude and posture and pose.

The pose is superficially the same, but while Bonnie is all sinuous s-curves (hips, bosom, arms, legs), Dunaway is angular and erect. Faye leans away from us, Bonnie leans in. Dunaway is imperious and haughty; Bonnie frank, direct, and exceedingly dangerous.

It is one of the most fascinating feminine comparisons the Manolo has ever seen.

As for the men, Clyde Barrow is wearing clothing. Warren Beatty is wearing the costume.

The giveaway is Warren Beatty’s spectator shoes and narrow legged pants; he is dressed in the 1960s Hollywood version of what the 1930s suiting should look like. As the result, Beatty, the famously relaxed actor, looks stiff and false in his well-tailored costume, while Barrow, the stone killer, is relaxed and natural in his round-shouldered suit and full-legged pants.
However, the thing that really jumps out at the Manolo is Bonnie and Clyde’s attitudes, as expressed in the way they hold themselves and interact with each other and the camera.

Bonnie is the real deal, as authentic and as noticeable as the grizzly bear standing in your kitchen. Her attitude leaps from the photo and accosts you. (It is amazing what can be done with the low-tech Kodak Brownie, no?)

You cannot get that way, that attitude, through acting classes and regression therapy. This is why so many modern actors, even the good ones, are so unsatisfying, because some things cannot be acquired without difficult life experiences. Or, to put it differently, Leonardo Di Caprio will never be Lee Marvin.

Here are the few more photos of Bonnie.

http://texashideout.tripod.com/casual.html

read the rest here:

http://shoeblogs.com/2009/10/15/bonnie-and-clyde-style/#more-5557

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Well said: Know yourself and be comfortable

Those who said know yourself and be comfortable are exactly right.

As other Loungers said, it's also about learning what works for you, as well as what doesn't.

As much as I adore the 1920's look in theory, the majority of the clothing and hairstyles from that period just don't look "right" on me. After much experimentation, the era that works best for me is circa 1937-1944. Being both hopeful and stubborn, I still experiment with other looks but, with a few exceptions in makeup, always end up going back to good ol' '37-'44.

Not so coincidentally, that look is also the most comfortable for me, and on a good day, putting it together feels almost effortless...whereas other Loungers may have the same experience in reverse, with my coveted 1920's look being perfect for them, and '37-'44 not so much.

How do you know when it's "right"? You feel it, and the comments from your non-vintage friends sound more like, "You look great!" than "I love the [insert decade here] look!" For me, it was when I wore a Kate Hepburn Woman of the Year-style suit to my trend-conscious job and no one realized it was vintage, yet wanted to know where to buy it...despite '40's style being "out" at the time.

When it's right, you know. In fact, when you get the hang of your style, things that work for you will suddenly start appearing on the racks out of nowhere, as if they've been waiting for you. But the main thing is to have fun with it all and not worry what anyone else thinks [she said, typing with nails painted circa 1932 black].

Antje

One Too Many
I never ever feel I'm wearing a costume when wearing vintage or vintage style,
I don't wear it much because of work and my work at home with the dogs, but I always do my hair in a vintage way so it wil look a little retro.
And I am more confident with wavy pincurled hair then with my natural hair.
That goes also with skirts, I prefer them over jeans.
I will always change in vintage wear when I go out on the streets

Panache

A-List Customer
Rathko said:
Clothing you wear when you're playing yourself. Costume you wear when you're playing somebody else.

I like this a lot! :eusa_clap

As someone who sports highland attire on a regular basis (thus I might be seen as one of those sporting a costume in the "What are you wearing thread") I have found the more I wore highland attire, the more natural and comfortable I felt in it and the less noticeable I was in it. I still get people who will mention it (most simply think I'm Scot visiting! lol ) but it's not a big deal. My lovely wife says it is because I wear the kilt with confidence and it is a natural thing on me.

Save for the elementary children at my school, I seldom get the question "why are you wearing a tie" (I thought it was funny that my ties and bow ties seem just as unusual to these kids as my kilt. Then again I'm only one of three Dads I have ever seen there wear one) because I wear ties and it is part of who I am.

I like highland attire

I like jackets

I like hats

I like ties

And I like to dress well

This might be unusual here in the Bay Area of California in 2009, but it sure isn't a costume. It is how I dress and who I am.

Cheers

Jamie

Paisley said:
Some observations from Manolo the Shoeblogger about the real Bonnie & Clyde vs. the actors who portrayed them:

These photos are also striking because the take us beyond the differences in clothing and physical beauty, (Faye Dunaway is indisputably beautiful, and dressed by the famous professional, and yet Bonnie outshines her) into the realm of attitude and posture and pose.

The pose is superficially the same, but while Bonnie is all sinuous s-curves (hips, bosom, arms, legs), Dunaway is angular and erect. Faye leans away from us, Bonnie leans in. Dunaway is imperious and haughty; Bonnie frank, direct, and exceedingly dangerous.

It is one of the most fascinating feminine comparisons the Manolo has ever seen.

As for the men, Clyde Barrow is wearing clothing. Warren Beatty is wearing the costume.

The giveaway is Warren Beatty’s spectator shoes and narrow legged pants; he is dressed in the 1960s Hollywood version of what the 1930s suiting should look like. As the result, Beatty, the famously relaxed actor, looks stiff and false in his well-tailored costume, while Barrow, the stone killer, is relaxed and natural in his round-shouldered suit and full-legged pants.
However, the thing that really jumps out at the Manolo is Bonnie and Clyde’s attitudes, as expressed in the way they hold themselves and interact with each other and the camera.

Bonnie is the real deal, as authentic and as noticeable as the grizzly bear standing in your kitchen. Her attitude leaps from the photo and accosts you. (It is amazing what can be done with the low-tech Kodak Brownie, no?)

You cannot get that way, that attitude, through acting classes and regression therapy. This is why so many modern actors, even the good ones, are so unsatisfying, because some things cannot be acquired without difficult life experiences. Or, to put it differently, Leonardo Di Caprio will never be Lee Marvin.

Oh, thank you, thank you. Great observations clearly and compellingly articulated.

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Until WW2 or the "Golden Era" it was the social status which determined the dresscode of a person. One could clearly read from what layer of society, what profession, what countryside region, what marital status the person was coming from by simply looking at the clothes. Unmarried girls, married women, widows had different robes. Urban guys wore urban clothes and rural people their own costumes. Ageing was accepted. 1 set of workgear and festive gear each were the norm in many men's wardrobe; people were too poor to afford "costumes". The wallet decided what fabrics to choose and there were tailors for the every day guy and also for the high flyers. Clothings were rather repaired than changed. The social etiquette was anyhow there, and not mastering the correct forms of it quickly disqualified those who did not match the class projected by their clothes.

Living standards did rise, clothing became much cheaper, and throw away quality thus visible social differences were abolished together with dresscodes, a general chaos is the result: "Anything goes". It does not. Classic style became a tiny rock in the ocean of fashion waves - however it gives the chance to develop durable and stylish wardrobe where the investment clearly shows a return. For those who are lost in fashion, there will be a constant change of costumes dictated by others.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HungaryTom said:
... a general chaos is the result: "Anything goes". It does not. Classic style became a tiny rock in the ocean of fashion waves - however it gives the chance to develop durable and stylish wardrobe where the investment clearly shows a return. For those who are lost in fashion, there will be a constant change of costumes dictated by others.

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Maguire

Practically Family
I agree that its important to watch that line, its good to balance the flashy with the subdued so that one never looks too overdone. If i'm wearing a shirt that is colorful or more "busy" than the average business wear, i'll couple it with subdued colors on everything else. The point is to never go overboard i guess. For me, a pocket watch isn't really that gaudy or out of whack (i've actually seen people walk into my store with pocket watches and chains). I think as a rule, if one is going for a chain or things like that, the shirt and tie and the like shouldn't be too loud. Thats my two cents.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Low key

Viola said:
The thing is the same woman could wear a different, equally '50s outfit and it wouldn't look like a costume at all. I don't think its the era, its whether you just go down the hallmarks/cliche list or mix it up and are willing to go lowkey with a piece or two in each outfit.

+1

I think using one or two period pieces with the rest of your outfit is the key. However, it also depends on the occasion. I would wear a flat cap, jeans, workshirt, and vintage work boots (or reops thereof) just out and a bout in my daily work. I would also roll up my jeans to finish it off. Now, not every piece if vintage or repo, but the look gives off the 30's or 40's or whatever "air" or style.

As one gets more confident and knows how to put it all together, then you can add or take away more based on your mood.

Vintage*Vixen

New in Town
I think it only qualifies as a costume if your playing a part..

Other wise if you're wearing vintage clothes it just means you have style. I wear vintage styles from day to day. My favorites are the 30's ,40's, and 50's. I try to incorporate my inspiration from these era's in to my daily wardrobe. weather it's my hairstyle or skirt... as long as I DON'T look like a modern day girl.. I'm Happy:)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Nothing wrong with being "costumey" anyway :rolleyes:

Wear what you like and what you're comfortable in. I've loved whacky fabrics/designs ever since I was a kid. Now I make my own vintage dresses in whacky fabrics. I wear these dresses every single day -- not just for photos or events. People would ask if I was ok if I wore something "normal." lol Anyone who doesn't like it can look the other way!!!

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
Vintage*Vixen said:
Other wise if you're wearing vintage clothes it just means you have style. I wear vintage styles from day to day. My favorites are the 30's ,40's, and 50's. I try to incorporate my inspiration from these era's in to my daily wardrobe. weather it's my hairstyle or skirt... as long as I DON'T look like a modern day girl.. I'm Happy:)

I have to agree with Vintage*Vixen. I feel happiest in vintage or vintage inspired hair and clothing,It feels natural to me. I style my hair vintage everyday even though I have a uniform for work. I have always preferred wearing dresses. I am happiest with long hair. I feel as I didn't pick the 40's style but rather it picked me. I have always preferred the 30's and 40's from clothing to movies and even houses. When other kids were out getting drunk behind their parents backs I was at home watching Fred Astaire and Gingers Rogers movies.

GreyBadger

New in Town
Interesting comments. I have certainly always followed the 'dress to please yourself' line. Although, I did grow my hair at school as it annoyed the senior management. Ah, the joys of youth!

mrfish

New in Town
benstephens said:
I am a very self concious person, and am much happier blending in than standing out. I enjoy the golden era, and to me, to spend a weekend once in a while away is a fantastic release from work etc. I have many great friends, and have travelled all over the world to vintage events. When i am at an event, I feel very at ease in all the clothing, more so than I feel if I just wear it out and about etc. I certainly could not wear more than the odd vintage Item for work.

Kindest regards

Ben

Well said Sir. I am afraid that I fall into a similar camp. I simply lack the self-confidence to appear comfortable in vintage clothing in a modern setting: work, et al. I do have a lovely double breasted suit coat from 1946 that I will sometimes wear at more formal events, but I would feel very conscious wearing a fedora, for example, to work.

My failing entirely. I do admire the appearance of the FL membership.

mrfish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy