Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cotton Drill Parkas from the 1940s and 50s

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
While browsing Canadian catalogs from the 1940s and 50s, I noticed that most of the parkas were made out of cotton drill (c. 9 oz/yd²) and equipped with coyote fur. Has anyone got an actual example? Nowadays drill is used mostly in linings, does it hold well in that use?

From Eaton's Fall and Winter 1948-49, pg. 240.
Cotton_Drill_Parka.jpg

ando.thun

New in Town
I've got a Woolrich Woolen Mills hunting parka made from cotton drill and it is really tough. It's not a light jacket but even after 3 years of constant wearing there are no visible signs of use.

Also my Highwayman has cotton drill lining and it hold well till now. The main reason I choosed cotton drill was the fact that it is the least insulating lining Aero offers. More weartime...

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
The most expensive, about 1/3 more than cotton drill, parkas seems to have been made out of cotton poplin or sateen. Army & Navy Fall and Winter 1958-59 advertises single model of nylon parka as an alternative for cotton and it is priced between the drill and poplin/sateen. The U.S. Army tests have shown sateen to be a bit more wear resistance than the drill/twill.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot