Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could black go with anything? Why, or why not?

Edward

Bartender
Regarding a black hat, I finally ended up buying this very nice black Knox Twenty Homburg on ebay. When do you think it is dated, which decade? I decided against buying a modern Akubra Homburg, compared to this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121536130741

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Nice. I'd have guessed later 50s, maybe, but there will be folks on here will be able to tell you from the label. I do love my hombergs - a nice alternative to a fedora (I like wearing them with a pinch, too), and ideal for black tie.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I wear a black hat with any color. If another item in your attire has black wearing a black hat would accent or match that item(s).
I have also been told that my complexion lends me the ability to wear a black hat with any color. I am not knowledgable about the whole complexion topic, but I have received nothing but positive remarks about my black hat and what I wear with it.
The US Navy pairs black and Navy blue all the time, it can be done and it can be done well.
So take your black hat and wear it.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I wear a black hat with any color. If another item in your attire has black wearing a black hat would accent or match that item(s).
I have also been told that my complexion lends me the ability to wear a black hat with any color. I am not knowledgable about the whole complexion topic, but I have received nothing but positive remarks about my black hat and what I wear with it.
The US Navy pairs black and Navy blue all the time, it can be done and it can be done well.
So take your black hat and wear it.
I'm giving that a try today. Blue shirt, navy pants, black shoes and belt; brown tweed sport jacket; a black topcoat; and my black semi-stingy Emerson fedora.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, everyone. When the hat gets here, I may try it with both my charcoal grey jacket with maroon pinstripes, and a tan corduroy jacket with a faintly olive green color. I expect that it would look best with my grey suit or jacket, but since it's black, it should be OK with the second option. I'm not sure if I want to put a front pinch into it, yet. If I do crease, it will be gently, with a wide gap at the front, like I had done to my tan Akubra Federation and pale grey Stetson. I only have tighter pinch with my brown Federation, like the Indiana Jones style, and once I did that, I found out that it would stay, or be very difficult to remove.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
It sounds like it would go well as an ensemble. How did it go for you?
Well, no one ran screaming from the room. I liked it and felt comfortable in it. Of course, I work at a college. Somebody with a collared shirt, long pants, and dress shirt automatically gets addressed as "Professor," whether he is one or not; and a hat is something from another planet entirely!

There's been a popular perception in modern fashion that black may go with anything. In particular, could black hats work with any color in a suit, jacket, or coat, plus the pants and footwear? I know that black hats are more commonly worn with dark colors like black itself, and any shade of grey or blue, but what about earth tone colors like browns, tans, or greens? Do you think a black fedora could look good, or at least pass as decent with a taupe suit or sports jacket? I think it would be fine for a mid-grey suit, and I believe overcoats and rain coats could pass regardless of color, as they are usually worn on top of suits or jackets, so it doesn't matter as much if it is beige.

Black, as white, goes with everything.

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
Well, no one ran screaming from the room. I liked it and felt comfortable in it. Of course, I work at a college. Somebody with a collared shirt, long pants, and dress shirt automatically gets addressed as "Professor," whether he is one or not; and a hat is something from another planet entirely!

Sounds like success to me! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana