Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could you tell me if this Fedora looks right on my head please?

Mr Blaine

New in Town
Hi all.

Sory if you do not know me; I have not had much time to visit here at all in the last year. I bought this lid last year and due to my lack of confidence, I have not worn it much at all.

Could some one tell if it looks ok on my head; my good wife has meantioned that it makes my face look fat. This lid is 57 and a half. That is the measurement I got a professional that measured my head.

Any help with this would be great; many thanks in advance.

The picture is my Avatar btw.

Kind regards,

Paul

PhilS

One of the Regulars
I think it looks great.

I have given up caring what other people think of my hats, anyway. If you like it, wear it. Like Henry Ford said (let's leave aside any of his failings, for this thread at least) "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right."

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Looks good to me, though a larger picture (multiple if possible, so we can see more of the hat!) would be good.

Looks like a pretty tall crown, too! :eusa_clap

Mr Blaine said:
Hi all.

Sory if you do not know me; I have not had much time to visit here at all in the last year. I bought this lid last year and due to my lack of confidence, I have not worn it much at all.

Could some one tell if it looks ok on my head; my good wife has meantioned that it makes my face look fat. This lid is 57 and a half. That is the measurement I got a professional that measured my head.

Any help with this would be great; many thanks in advance.

The picture is my Avatar btw.

Kind regards,

Paul

Leave it to women to say that a hat makes your face look fat. ;) :p
I say it looks fine. You could, of course, tilt it a bit to one side or the other to make it more rakish and maybe throw off the too straight brim kind of look but it looks fine either way.
My hat size is a 62. If it makes my head look big then how about that? My head is big. ;) :p

Stoney

Practically Family
Looks Great.

It's a great looking hat and looks very good on you. Just one word of advice and this is purely my opinion, so take it as you wish.

I always check that the distance between the brim edge and the top front of the crown is equal to or less than the distance from the brim edge to my chin in any tall hat. If the crown is taller than that it may look a little too tall. If I were you I would just lower the crown a bit until the measurements are in that ballpark. Then the hat would be perfect, at least in my opinion.

Keep wearing that lid!

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Can I see a larger picture from the front? I may have a tiny suggestion to appease the wife.

But really, it looks fine from what I can see.

Vintage Betty

PhilS

One of the Regulars
Crown-face ratio

Stoney said:
I always check that the distance between the brim edge and the top front of the crown is equal to or less than the distance from the brim edge to my chin in any tall hat.
I'm going to try this out and see if it works. Sounds promising!

Joan

New in Town
This is brilliant!

Stoney said:
I always check that the distance between the brim edge and the top front of the crown is equal to or less than the distance from the brim edge to my chin in any tall hat.
Every time I drop in here I learn something new. I'm going to try this, too, because I know I look terrible in a tall crown, but I never knew why.

Rick Blaine

I found this helpful:

From Miller Hats:

ff1.jpg

ff2.jpg

ff3.jpg

ff4.jpg

Stoney

Practically Family
Bolthead,

Its really about symmetry. If the length of the hat's crown is greater than the distance from the brim to the bottom of your chin then the hat has a larger profile as viewed from the front and visually overpowers your face. It Looks Weird. If the brim to crown height is less than the distance from the brim to your chin then your face is more visually prominent than the hat, It looks OK. If both distances are equal then you've achieved symmetry -visual balance between your face and the hat. Again it looks OK.

It's just my opinion that a hat that is taller, above the brim, than the length of your your face, below the brim, never really looks right.

Check out PhilS's Avatar. His crown is almost exactly the same length as his face. It looks wonderful on him.

bolthead

Stoney said:
Bolthead,

Its really about symmetry. If the length of the hat's crown is greater than the distance from the brim to the bottom of your chin then the hat has a larger profile as viewed from the front and visually overpowers your face. It Looks Weird. If the brim to crown height is less than the distance from the brim to your chin then your face is more visually prominent than the hat, It looks OK. If both distances are equal then you've achieved symmetry -visual balance between your face and the hat. Again it looks OK.

It's just my opinion that a hat that is taller, above the brim, than the length of your your face, below the brim, never really looks right.

Check out PhilS's Avatar. His crown is almost exactly the same length as his face. It looks wonderful on him.
Gotcha....;)

Stoney

Practically Family
Not to offend anyone.....

I'm talking fedoras here. Exceptions are made of course for 10 gallon hats, top hats, sombreros and others that are designed to be more prominent than the face. Those look fine to me, when taller than the face...when taller than the face....It's the way of the future....

Mr Blaine

New in Town
Hi all Sorry for the wait; I have had problems uploading these pictures. So here are more to help you decide if this hat is for me. My neighbour by the way thought I way wearing a cowboy hat when I was in the garden last weekend; it does not look that bad surely.
Image059.jpg

Image049.jpg

Forgive me for the suite; the suite was so it looked a bit closer to smart. If you look at my lid you will see a funny curve inwards and down on the front brim; how do I turn this lid into a Indy and sort that front brim out?

Kind regards,

Paul.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Looks fine :)

I started out with smaller brims until I got used to wearing a hat and then eventually went for wider brims as they seem to balance my face better. I actually think 'when you feel the time is right' that you would look 'even better' with a wider brim ;) Something to mull over :) But in the meanwhile...looking sharp :eusa_clap

Mr Blaine

New in Town
Hi all. thank you so much for all your replies; you guys are such a kind decent bunch. I think it is because my great Wife said she does not like the hat; I think that has made me feel uncofitable about wearing it now. But I actually like it. I know someone asked what make the hat is; this I do not know as it does not have a brand name inside the lid. I just states the size and that it was made in your great USA. I am hoping to obtain a Adventurebilt Indy lid one day, but at £200 I think I may be dreaming aloud.

Thanks again; anymore thoughts on my lid are welcome.

Paul

pils

New in Town
Paul, it's a great hat and it suits you well.

I have had some problems with pictures of myself that made my hats look huge. This was mainly because I was taking the pictures in a mirror or by holding the camera out at an arms length, which messed up the perspective. Once I set the camera up across the room and took the pictures with self-timer, the perspective problem was sorted and the hats suddenly looked nicely proportioned to my face. You might want to try that, if you are worried about the overall size of your hat.

/Niels

EDIT: Oh, and I have had the cowboy hat (and Tilley hat) comments as well. There's just no helping some people ... :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou