Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

country fedora

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eek:fftopic:

David Conwill said:
Excuse my ignorance - what's a polo coat and where can I get one? Is it like the horsey version of a car coat?

-Dave

This is what Bruce Boyer has to say in his chapter on the polo coat in Elegance, as he calls it "The Real Thing":

And the requirements of the genre are explicit and strict: an authentic polo coat is double-breasted, full-length, and full-cut camelhair cloth; it has patch pockets, set-in sleeves, cuffs, and a half-belt.

Pictured here on the left:

overcoatscopy1hb.jpg

Old photos:

3278257april1933fredperryhenry.jpg

33654011april1933bunnyaustin3k.jpg

As for where to get one, I got mine at a thrift store:

eldridgepolo14feb07kj4.jpg

The usual suspects carry them, Brooks Bros., J Press, probably Jos A Bank.

carldelo

One Too Many
David Conwill - thank you for posting that ad for the Playboy! I saw that ad somewhere ages ago, couldn't find it, and now here it is. This time I saved it to the 'old hat photo archive'.

Dr. Speed - no one has suggested a hat in green tones like the Playboy ad. I have a Stetson Chatham in sage which is a very nice medium green color. It goes well with browns, tans and tweeds, and looks especially nice in the daytime - I definitely think of it as a non-city hat. At night, the color tends to look gray, and it goes OK with my charcoal overcoat. It has a 2-3/8" raw brim with a 1" ribbon. It comes with a teardrop, which is pretty stiff, but HarpPlayer Gene reshaped his with steam without much trouble.

Maybe you don't want the Stetson, but green is an underused color - anyway, it sounds like you don't have anything in green yet. Just a thought....

I forgot to include a photo:

Hatshow023.jpg

Also: http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/carldelo/Misc hats/Hatshow026.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/carldelo/Misc hats/ChathamSage001.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
carldelo said:
Dr. Speed - no one has suggested a hat in green tones like the Playboy ad. I have a Stetson Chatham in sage which is a very nice medium green color. It goes well with browns, tans and tweeds, and looks especially nice in the daytime - I definitely think of it as a non-city hat. At night, the color tends to look gray, and it goes OK with my charcoal overcoat. It has a 2-3/8" raw brim with a 1" ribbon. It comes with a teardrop, which is pretty stiff, but HarpPlayer Gene reshaped his with steam without much trouble.

Maybe you don't want the Stetson, but green is an underused color - anyway, it sounds like you don't have anything in green yet. Just a thought....
Green is great!!

P3190004.jpg

MAB1

Suspended
Do you realize...

Green makes most people cringe?

If you are over 6 foot tall, maybe.

Otherwise you look like a leprechaun.

This thread is drifting...

carldelo

One Too Many
Nobody cringes when they see my sage Stetson, that's just silly. If you don't like green, that's perfectly fine.

And the thread is not drifting, I am suggesting to DrSpeed that he consider a green toned hat as complementary to his daytime wardrobe while doctoring about the countryside.

...oh yeah, don't call me a leprechaun or my Dad in the avatar there will fly over to Cool Town and unleash some mayhem from his P-47, so there.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
MAB1 said:
Do you realize...

Green makes most people cringe?

If you are over 6 foot tall, maybe.

Otherwise you look like a leprechaun.

This thread is drifting...
I like green! My uniform was green when I was a Deputy Sheriff so maybe in that aspect yes or just the fact that they did not want to see me!

I am over 6 foot tall! (by 1 inch;) )

I think leprechaun hats are black and their clothes are green!:p

and nope no drifting!

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
My choice should have been made easier instead of harder, though I should have known better of course ;). I thank you all for your counsel.
I can now do only one thing, save up and buy at least a couple of the suggested hats.
And I must have one of those coats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic