Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Country Music Awards...

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
I like Country Music...or rather, I like real Country Music. I grew up listening to Hank Snow, Hank Williams Sr. and Jr., Johnny Cash, Patsy Kline, and Buck Owens, Porter Waggoner, etc...I do like some of the newer artist that are traditional, like Alan Jackson. I wached the Awards show last night, and there were few that dressed for the ocassion. Tee shirts and ragged (yes ragged) jeans ruled the day. What a bunch of bums. I can remember when a nominee would wear a tux or gown to an Award show. Barbara Mandrell was like a breath of fresh air. She wore a classy gown. What ever happened to Nudie suits? I like the suits that Chris Issacs wears.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I was saying the exact same thing to my wife this morning as we watched the highlights on the news! We oculdn't believe all the tee-shirts and crap that they were wearing. It wasn't that long ago that they used to wear Western tuxes to the awards.

We grew up on the same country music, and stopped listening to new artists a long time ago, as the newer stuff is not anywhere near country music. It's all the same cookie-cutter groups and "artists." I've gotten to the point where I don't really listen to any newer music than Sinatra's Capitol years.

Brad

Pyroxene

One of the Regulars
Americana Music...

I can't promise you anything in the wardrobe department but if you want to listen to something more than the cookie cutter stuff, look at the Americana Music scene. We just had the 9th annual Americana Music Jam here in New Braunfels, TX http://www.lonestarmusic.com/americanajam.asp
Even though it's over, there's a good list of performers to check out. I like Ray Wylie Hubbard and Cross Canadian Ragweed. Jerry Jeff Walker is good too. (Not featured at the A.M.J.)

Even though these performers are mainly Central Texas based, their music does get out and about. Each one is different and have their own flavor. Some pull from a folk influence others may be rock or country swing.

Another good group is Two Tons of Steel. http://www.twotons.com/ "The Two Tons of Steel sound has been influenced by the musical styles of Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, Chris Isaac, and Johnny Cash..." They absolutely pack the house every Tuesaday night at Gruene Hall (Pronounced Green). Their new album "Vegas" will be coming out May 2005.

Pyr.

El Jefe

New in Town
This is interesting, firstly because I front and play rhythm guitar in an Americana/Alt. Country band, and secondly because I've recently been trying to locate a source for some of those Nudie/Nudie-inspired short jackets.
Gram Parsons brought the Nudie suit to rock and roll when he was with The Flying Burrito Brothers in the late 60's, and then during the so-called "New Traditionalist" movement in the late 80's, there was a renewed interest in these so-cool styles.
Dwight Yoakum for several years wore the Nudie short jacket over a singlet with bolo tie, ripped jeans, cowboy boots, and cowboy hat.
Slightly less popular but way cooler was The Desert Rose Band, pictured here rather poorly on Austin City Limits:
Desert Rose Band
They all wore different Nudie jackets with shirts and bolo ties with jeans and boots.
Both Dwight and the DRB revitalized The Bakersfield Sound, a style that had frequently been associated with Mr. Nudie and his fine work.
And yeah, I'd kill to have one of the short Nudie jackets...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany