Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Stringmaster -- nice work and dress boots! I would have a hard time deciding on a design (then again, I'm pretty new at this).
Yes Bob I agonized over the design as there are unlimited choices. I decided I most likely wanted an exotic--was thinking lizard as I've had some nice ones in the past--but ultimately wanted something "fancier". Full gator was out of my price range. I ended up actually getting a lot of gator skin for the money when it was all said and done :) Believe it or not my boot is basically this boot, but all black and with a lower heal/shorter top--but same overlay pattern/stitching. Unfortunately my pics don't do them any justice--they are really quite striking!

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
Hi guys/gals - I own around 12 pairs of cowboy boots all in the cheap to cheaper range - but I love them all nevertheless. I am not an expert on cowboy boots by any means but would love to treat myself to a really good pair of custom boots - I saw this Dave Little pair on the bay and wondering if they are worth the asking price? $599 - they are 12E which is the size of most of my boots although I can squeeze into 11.5E in some brands.
DaveLittle12.jpg

Not sure if I like red but in a way I think these look pretty sweet. Any other suggestions on a nice pair of custom boots - what brands to look for?
Cheers!

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Hi guys/gals - I own around 12 pairs of cowboy boots all in the cheap to cheaper range - but I love them all nevertheless. I am not an expert on cowboy boots by any means but would love to treat myself to a really good pair of custom boots - I saw this Dave Little pair on the bay and wondering if they are worth the asking price? $599 - they are 12E which is the size of most of my boots although I can squeeze into 11.5E in some brands.
View attachment 63062

Not sure if I like red but in a way I think these look pretty sweet. Any other suggestions on a nice pair of custom boots - what brands to look for?
Cheers!
Nice boot and seems to be a fair price (about 1/2 of a new pair of custom boots) but.....If they don't fit you are out a lot of money, and I think they would be a hard re-sell, given the size and color. I'd be more tempted to save up a few more bucks and order something made-to-measure, or at least something with a return option. You might also cruise Paul Bond's "in stock" boots, which are odds and ends that didn't work out for a customer for whatever reason, and sold at a discount. I think you can send in measurements and they can help to see if something would fit. They were having a holiday sale on in stock and custom order boots, but it may have expired.

View attachment 63062

Cheers!

Glad to see some new folks posting here. I don't own any of Little's boots but he has a great reputation and the ones I've seen are as good as any out there. I've seen the listing on those boots and I really like them. Every boot wearer needs some red. If you buy second hand customs be sure to ask a lot of questions, especially for fit measurements and compare those against your boots that fit you well. Measurements like length, heel to toe with the boot against the wall. Internal measurements heel to toe and width at the widest part of the ball of the foot taking into consideration the welt will add close to 1/4"-1/2" to the width. Littles boots base price are around $2,000. Don't know where you are in the Great NW but I know of some makers in that area.

Measurements like length, heel to toe with the boot against the wall. Internal measurements heel to toe and width at the widest part of the ball of the foot taking into consideration the welt will add close to 1/4"-1/2" to the width.
Be sure to ask about & measure the throat of the boot where the top & the vamp meet, & the calf circumference for a proper fit to you.

Back in the day I had a pair of these Tony Lama Firewalkers with the red heel counters that I wore a lot. Darryl Hall of Hall & Oates had a pair & they were quite popular. I wore them to the point the lizard was looking pretty ratty.

2m5c8x2.jpg

egzv43.jpg

Today I have these custom Paul Bonds. I don't wear them as much as I did the Firewalkers back then. I hold them back to wear on special dress occasions.

e8ms6v.jpg

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Back in the day I had a pair of these Tony Lama Firewalkers with the red heel counters that I wore a lot. Darryl Hall of Hall & Oates had a pair & they were quite popular. I wore them to the point the lizard was looking pretty ratty.

2m5c8x2.jpg

egzv43.jpg

Today I have these custom Paul Bonds. I don't wear them as much as I did the Firewalkers back then. I hold them back to wear on special dress occasions.

e8ms6v.jpg
I used to sell those TL Flame boots!

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Where did you work? Retail or for TL?
I had a small retail department store in Tehachapi, Ca in the early '80s and carried Nocona, Justin, Tony Lama, Dan Post, Acme, Red Wing boots (amongst other things). Later I managed several of the Boot World stores in San Diego County--when Western boots were selling--that's where we carried the flame boots. Interesting that the retail price on Nocona, Justin, TL, etc is about the same today as it was when I had my store--shows how they quality has been compromised to sell at a "price point."

Interesting that the retail price on Nocona, Justin, TL, etc is about the same today as it was when I had my store--shows how they quality has been compromised to sell at a "price point."
You can see that in a lot of products today. Statistically a family has less take home pay, less spendable income, etc today then they did in the 1970's. Therefore inflation has to be held in check. It's the same principle as selling smaller packaging in food & other products for the same money. The problem will come when no more costs cuts can be made. How can Berkshire Hathaway continue to cut costs/maintain selling prices on Justin, Tony Lama & Nocona boots?

Those red Dave Littles are sweet boots, JacketAddict!

Jack I've still got a well worn set of those TLs. Long since outgrown, but just kept around for nostalgia's sake, I guess. I doubt I could sell them for what the memories are worth. Maybe one of my kids can fit 'em one of these days.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
My custom Dave Viers (Montana Boot Co) buckaroo style boots. We arranged a vacation to Montana and I had an opportunity to visit his shop for a personal fitting. They took a long time to get but were worth it! He was mostly known for his "old west" styles popular with the Single Action Shooters--these have a little bit of that vibe, but I wanted something more of a 30's/40's buckaroo style. The vamps are water buffalo calf, and calfskin tops (I believe).

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
Okay I may get bashed for this but one pair of boots I bought came with "boot chains" with little silver conches on the front and a leather strap around the back and a chain that wraps around under the sole. I think these are the cat's meow and dress up the boot (these are one-color plain janes) without being too ostentatious. I did a cursory search on the net and saw some that look pretty cool - anyone care to share their favorites?

Okay I may get bashed for this but one pair of boots I bought came with "boot chains" with little silver conches on the front and a leather strap around the back and a chain that wraps around under the sole. I think these are the cat's meow and dress up the boot (these are one-color plain janes) without being too ostentatious. I did a cursory search on the net and saw some that look pretty cool - anyone care to share their favorites?

I'll reserve my comments on boots with faux stirrup chains but if you just want to see some pics of favorite cowboy boots I can do that and I'm sure some others will as well.

JacketAddict

One of the Regulars
I'll reserve my comments on boots with faux stirrup chains but if you just want to see some pics of favorite cowboy boots I can do that and I'm sure some others will as well.
"A real cowboy has mud on his boots, smells like horses and a sweat rim on his hat. A drug store or dime store cowboy has probably never even been on a horse."
I guess you real cowboys call guys like me a "drugstore cowboy" although I do ride horses occasionally :) I have never really had a need to wear cowboy boots but have loved the look of them from when I was a boy - but not trying to actually look like or be a cowboy. I was particularly asking about interesting boot chains as I believe this thread already has lots of great pics of some awesome boots. Cheers!

"A real cowboy has mud on his boots, smells like horses and a sweat rim on his hat. A drug store or dime store cowboy has probably never even been on a horse."
I guess you real cowboys call guys like me a "drugstore cowboy" although I do ride horses occasionally :) I have never really had a need to wear cowboy boots but have loved the look of them from when I was a boy - but not trying to actually look like or be a cowboy. I was particularly asking about interesting boot chains as I believe this thread already has lots of great pics of some awesome boots. Cheers!

JacketAddict, I meant no offense and I apologize, it's just I've never seen any posted here with chains though I've seen plenty before. I said what I did with tounge in cheek and if you read on these posts around here you'll see a lot of us poking fun at one another.

I don't think any around here would use the term "drugstore cowboy" with the exception of hatophile, but he's a doctor. There are a few of us around with horse and cowboying experience but many more just enjoy western dress. I got my first cowboy boots at 8 yoa and have been wearing them ever since. I was buying them long before I ever got on a horse for the first time. I'm sure you're boots look great and if you like them, what I think doesn't mean a damn thing. Once again, please accept my apologies if I offended you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner