Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I've got a pair of Rocketbusters.
View attachment 66731

These are 23 years old. The fit is about the same as Justin boots. The leather is thick compared to cheaper boots and it takes a while to break them in. They are not the most comfortable boots I own and I wouldn't recommend them for everyday wear. But when you want to stand out they answer the call. It was about 2 weeks from the time I ordered them until they arrived to the best of my recollection.

Thank you for your reply, and thank you for posting the photo! 23 years old? They are looking pretty good to me! Colors still very vivid! They look great. I am certainly looking for a pair of boots that stand out- I'm no shrinking violet! Two weeks seems really fast for bespoke anything, never mind order made boots, that's pretty good! Was the design your original idea, or did you choose from a selection that had they already prepared?

1955mercury

One of the Regulars
Thank you for your reply, and thank you for posting the photo! 23 years old? They are looking pretty good to me! Colors still very vivid! They look great. I am certainly looking for a pair of boots that stand out- I'm no shrinking violet! Two weeks seems really fast for bespoke anything, never mind order made boots, that's pretty good! Was the design your original idea, or did you choose from a selection that had they already prepared?
Those were from their catalog.

Big J, there was a time that Rocketbuster had stock sizes made up and even offered some in higher end dept./western stores, kinda the way Stallion does now. I don know if they still do that.

I am curious about what design you have in mind and what you're thinking about for leather choices. Also, is this your first foray into custom boots or do you have experience with them?

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Bamaboots, this is my first foray into custom boots, and I thought that if I was going to do it, I should just go for broke, and get a top-class pair of boots.
So, if members have any advice at all about ordering made to measure boots, I'd be highly appreciative!

As for my design idea, I was thinking of something with Asian style dragons, tigers, and pinups. Not to everyones tastes, but should be great for weddings, picnics and BBQs. I haven't got a clue what kind of leather to use. I would like something along the lines of Horweens CXL horse, but I'll have to consult with the folks at Rocketbuster as to their recommendation. I want boots that will last for the rest of my life and develop character.

Big J, your design ideas sound great. I'd wear them. There are a few bootmakers around that could probably make what you're after, but considering where you are, Rocketbuster is probably the way to go without flying to the states and visiting with a bootmaker. Follow their measurement and tracing instructions closely. There are even a few YouTube videos on measuring for custom boots. Have someone else do the measuring and tracing for you and do it several times to make sure the numbers are consistent. Horse may be available and if so it makes a good boot. If not, kangaroo is a good one to consider as bootmakers love to work with it due to its lightweight and toughness. It's also great for inlay work.

TPD166

One Too Many
Thanks! I have another "identical pair," but those show far more wear and the stitching also slightly varies between the two pair. The "worn" pair are my go-to boots and have been brought back from the dead several times.

Like those, Robert. Great colors and stitch pattern. I can even see some wavering in the stitching that shows those were stitched by hand. Hard to beat the old Noconas.

Jesse Bogle
CIMG2746.JPG

Big J

Call Me a Cab
How do you all feel about shark skin boots? I like the idea of it; it sounds exotic.
But is it actually a good choice?

I like shark because of its toughness and the grain of the leather is pretty unique. It's not as flexible as some leathers. Some bootmakers don't like to work with it and some makers, like Paul Bond, don't reccomend it for the first custom pair because they want to ensure the fit is right. There is very little give in shark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner