Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

jonesy, that link sent me directly to vigilink, which happens a lot these days. No biggie. In regards to your Berkshire Hathaway reference, those jackasses wouldn't even be in the boot business if Justin hadn't been in the brick business, because that's what they really wanted and couldn't get one without the other. Hurricane Jack knows more about this than I do. It's still amazing to me that the big three remained so closely tied together after so many years.

Lots of incest and inbreeding in the early years of the cowboy boot business. At the least a lot of infighting and backbiting.

Who Knew?
Suggest you read:

IMG_3586.jpg

I am looking to pull the pin on a pair of Lucchese ropers in goat (okay, I know they are not real cowboy boots but for this city kid they fit the bill). Anyone have an opinion on Lucchese quality and value? New they run upwards of $700 so a much higher price point than my Justins. Opinions???

Got it coming from Amazon.
John Justin wrote his own book which is long ago out of print but you see them on eBay once in a while. Either book will give you a background on the Justin sons & sister Enid & her husbands. You will better understand how the Big 3 came about & how they came to be together.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
You are right it is bullhide. Should be pretty tough for work boots, no? Don't see those around much.

Thanks.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You are right it is bullhide. Should be pretty tough for work boots, no? Don't see those around much.

Thanks.
Very tough. I've had bullhides take a lot of abuse and still polish up nice. I used to have a pair of Justin lace up ropers in cowhide. Liked them a lot.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well, I decided the best way to discern quality is to do a hands on survey. Just closed deals on 3 pair of boots, a Tony Lama lizard, a Lucchese roper in goat and a Dan Post lizard. All look to be in great shape and negotiated real good pricing. Keeping my eyes open for a decent pair of ostrich but the ones I came across so far are too new and too expensive.

Well, I decided the best way to discern quality is to do a hands on survey. Just closed deals on 3 pair of boots, a Tony Lama lizard, a Lucchese roper in goat and a Dan Post lizard. All look to be in great shape and negotiated real good pricing. Keeping my eyes open for a decent pair of ostrich but the ones I came across so far are too new and too expensive.

What size do you wear. You looking for smooth or full quill?

What size do you wear. You looking for smooth or full quill?
I am 10EE in Justins, they fit me perfectly. I am hoping that sizing translates into these other brands. Wear a non labelled pair of python skinned boots in a 10D and they are tight but make em work with really thin socks.
Open to either smooth or not too flashy full quill.
Am I okay with using Lexol on the reptile or is the Saphir reptile milk a better choice?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou