Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

CIMG3791.JPG
CIMG3792.JPG
CIMG3793.JPG
CIMG3794.JPG
CIMG3796.JPG
Tony Lama El Rey's in French calf and goat. My understanding is when TL made this run of boots in the early 80's they were made by an individual master craftsmen who handmade the boot from start to finish. The inconsistency in the shaft stitching shows they were done one row at a time. These boots have three rows of pegging and I still have the original inserts and the protective covers that came with them. If you're a TL fan, these were their best offerings after the late 70's and on. JMO.

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 92119 View attachment 92120 View attachment 92121 View attachment 92122 View attachment 92123 Tony Lama El Rey's in French calf and goat. My understanding is when TL made this run of boots in the early 80's they were made by an individual master craftsmen who handmade the boot from start to finish. The inconsistency in the shaft stitching shows they were done one row at a time. These boots have three rows of pegging and I still have the original inserts and the protective covers that came with them. If you're a TL fan, these were their best offerings after the late 70's and on. JMO.
Those are beautiful. I was not aware of this model, obviously high end. Nice that you have the original inserts and covers. Those are a piece of boot history that were not likely to see again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AlexTheApache

Familiar Face
Hey there everyone, seeing some nice boots on here. My favorite are Anderson Bean, Rios of Mercedes and Olathe boots (the newer Texas variety, also love the Kansas made) these factories are in my home town down the road from where I️ grew up. I️ own several pairs but here are some saddle tan full quill ostrich I️ picked up a week ago.
2d0a01066a677db945b6fef2ea783de9.jpg
0482d759f2be75229763e0747be52a53.jpg
190c37928e79ad46bff659338fe8becf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert dog

I ran across these made by Utah boot maker, Shane Deeter. He made these for the Utah Heritage Museum. Look closely and you'll see the vamp and heel counter are all one piece, as well as the shaft. He does all his own leather carving.
View attachment 92608
These are amazing! The leather tooling is exceptional. The tooling shows almost no accent cuts, but extensive use of bevel and various pear shaders. Very much work and detail in the tooling alone. Beautiful pattern also. The one piece vamp and heel counter are so clean and unique. Thanks for posting these.

These are amazing! The leather tooling is exceptional. The tooling shows almost no accent cuts, but extensive use of bevel and various pear shaders. Very much work and detail in the tooling alone. Beautiful pattern also. The one piece vamp and heel counter are so clean and unique. Thanks for posting these.

You being a leather worker, thought you might appreciate these. First two piece boots I've ever seen done this way. Thanks for the terminology education as well!

Desert dog

You being a leather worker, thought you might appreciate these. First two piece boots I've ever seen done this way. Thanks for the terminology education as well!
All of the design had to first be cut with a swivel knife before the bevelling could begin. Consider how many hours just in cutting in the design. Then it all had to be beveled from the background, and the background stamped. All of this before more bevel to the actual design. And finally all of the pear shader work. Sorry if I rambled, but these boots are just so cool!

Those are beautiful. I was not aware of this model, obviously high end. Nice that you have the original inserts and covers. Those are a piece of boot history that were not likely to see again.

Dd, I meant to post this the other day. I don't know what size you wear but these things show up online fairly frequently, sometimes at a good price in good shape. If you're ever interested in a pair, always look for this label.
image.jpeg

All of the design had to first be cut with a swivel knife before the bevelling could begin. Consider how many hours just in cutting in the design. Then it all had to be beveled from the background, and the background stamped. All of this before more bevel to the actual design. And finally all of the pear shader work. Sorry if I rambled, but these boots are just so cool!

Enjoyed it. Education and conversation is the best part of this place.

AlexTheApache

Familiar Face
I ran across these made by Utah boot maker, Shane Deeter. He made these for the Utah Heritage Museum. Look closely and you'll see the vamp and heel counter are all one piece, as well as the shaft. He does all his own leather carving.
View attachment 92608

Beautiful, I️ have a book about classic boot makers and there was a pair that was made similarly. These boots remind me of a pair my boss owns. They are M.L. Leddy’s with hand carved and tooled tops inlayed with black elephant and the vamps are also elephant. I️ wish I️ had a photo to show maybe sometime in the future.

AlexTheApache

Familiar Face
Anyone own any pre ban boots? Pictured are the two pair of Justin sea turtle boots I️ own. In 1990 the US banned the use and importation of sea turtle products. I️ believe these may be 70s-80s. The chocolate pair are from the Mexico factory, the burgundy and white are Fort Worth, Texas made.
8caf64647c7a3b5606f30fcb828ca5c1.jpg
8136426e284238ba310f6f7f8c156035.jpg
3a80139c1a5617b42b6a38a21d4180d1.jpg
64e7d85402b98a9ac47055c6e5b43e93.jpg
I’ve been looking for a pair of pre ban anteater to add to my collection almost picked up a pair of Lucchese’s in a black cherry color but the deal didn’t turn out.

Anyone own any pre ban boots? Pictured are the two pair of Justin sea turtle boots I️ own. In 1990 the US banned the use and importation of sea turtle products. I️ believe these may be 70s-80s. The chocolate pair are from the Mexico factory, the burgundy and white are Fort Worth, Texas made.
8caf64647c7a3b5606f30fcb828ca5c1.jpg
8136426e284238ba310f6f7f8c156035.jpg
3a80139c1a5617b42b6a38a21d4180d1.jpg
64e7d85402b98a9ac47055c6e5b43e93.jpg
I’ve been looking for a pair of pre ban anteater to add to my collection almost picked up a pair of Lucchese’s in a black cherry color but the deal didn’t turn out.

Glad you posted those, Alex. They're a good example of what is often listed as 'Sea Alligaator' or croc in the secondary market. Any transference other than inheritance is illegal but they are often sold on the bay. As far as the anteater, I see them occasionally but not much lately.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Man this thread is on fire. You guys are really teaching me a lot.

Sorry, but I'm not at your level, to say the least. Had some new heels put on my old Fry ropers the other day. Not bad since I've been wearing them since 1990.

Old Frys 1.JPG

Old Frys.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner