Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Boot trees are more for the sole of the boot to keep them from curling upwards and beginning to resemble sultan or genie slippers.

Isn't that desirable?

f258b5ae148a0edf160f738244a163f3--hysterically-funny-mexican-humor.jpg

[Qw="Hurricane Jack, post: 2356510, member: 37000"]I know what boot trees do. I have 15-20 pair of cedar boot trees.[/QUOTE]
I was (am) curious as to what diff the shark skin would make on the trees utility??

Stringmaster

One of the Regulars
Boot trees won't do a thing for sharkskin. You won't find many bootmakers today who will work with it because it breaks needles & is tough to work with. But absolutely beautiful leather & one of the few exotics I would be interested in today.

Here's a pair of mine made by Steve Osuna:

View attachment 101892

View attachment 101893
Nice! How do you think the Osuna's compare to Bonds?

[Qw="Hurricane Jack, post: 2356510, member: 37000"]I know what boot trees do. I have 15-20 pair of cedar boot trees.
I was (am) curious as to what diff the shark skin would make on the trees utility??[/QUOTE]
Sharkskin & Stingray are tough leathers & need to move to keep from drying out & cracking especially in climates with very low humidity or moisture. Boot trees are not recommended. You can actually split lizard skin by using boot trees.

The soles of well designed cowboy boots are made to turn up on the toe.

Last edited:
The soles of well designed cowboy boots are made to turn up on the toe.[/QUOTE]

Jack, I have shoe trees bust seldom use them. I've got boots of all different kinds of leather, some close to 50 yrs old that have never had trees in them and the toes have never turned "up" any more than the built in "toe spring". I suppose left to dry out the leather would begin to shrink, causing the toes to curl.

Last edited:
These don't pop up on the bay very often, especially in this condition. I'm not sure re who made these but Charlie Garrison used to make boots for Nudie while Garrison was in CA.

Sharkskin & Stingray are tough leathers & need to move to keep from drying out & cracking especially in climates with very low humidity or moisture. Boot trees are not recommended. You can actually split lizard skin by using boot trees.

The soles of well designed cowboy boots are made to turn up on the toe.

Jack, I have shoe trees bust seldom use them. I've got boots of all different kinds of leather, some close to 50 yrs old that have never had trees in them and the toes have never turned "up" any more than the built in "toe spring". I suppose left to dry out the leather would begin to shrink, causing the toes to curl.[/QUOTE]

Boot trees are cut differently than shoe trees; mainly the top of the foot opposite the arch is cut higher to support the tongue area of the boot (another reason trees are not just for the sole). The boot toe is usually different also than a shoe toe. And if you have cheap trees with just spring tension as opposed to the break-over, then there isn't enough tension to keep the sole from curling anyway.

Back when I wore more reptile exotics I never used boot trees in them. For a time I did use them in cowhide, kangaroo & elephant but I don't even do that anymore.

These don't often turn up on the bay, especially in this condition. I don't know who made these but I believe Charlie Garrison, when he was in CA, used to make boots for Nudie.
View attachment 102047
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nudies-Rod...479736?hash=item2395e21f78:g:v1kAAOSwOA1aPWQJ
Seller has a pair of Paul Bond's with blue collars & a brand on the front. I know those boots from somewhere but can't place them. Take a look & maybe you can. He says they belonged to a Tucson doctor.

He also has an expensive BIN 10X OR listed.

@Hurricane Jack Yeah, I used the generic 'shoe trees'. I actually have boot trees. I will occasionally use them for polishing purposes but haven't used any in awhile.

In regards to Osuna boots, I've admired them since I saw my first pair and yours are no exception. Is this the same Osuna boots and repair shop in AZ? Not much of an online presence and does he require a personal visit?

Seller has a pair of Paul Bond's with blue collars & a brand on the front. I know those boots from somewhere but can't place them. Take a look & maybe you can. He says they belonged to a Tucson doctor.

He also has an expensive BIN 10X OR listed.

Looked at those boots. Seems I've seen them but don't recall where. Unusual size for the measurements given.

@Hurricane Jack Yeah, I used the generic 'shoe trees'. I actually have boot trees. I will occasionally use them for polishing purposes but haven't used any in awhile.

In regards to Osuna boots, I've admired them since I saw my first pair and yours are no exception. Is this the same Osuna boots and repair shop in AZ? Not much of an online presence and does he require a personal visit?
Same one. He does (or he did) make some boots in standard sizes for store stock. If inquiring about a particular stock pair just inquire if they were built on American lasts or Mexican lasts. Mexican lasts per size tend to run a little bit wider. Otherwise it would take a visit the first time for customs. After I placed my order Reitzel was down there enough that he would kind of check on the order & walked them thru, kept me advised. I sure miss his boot knowledge & advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm