Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

kyboots

Practically Family
Those boots are beautiful. Really enjoyed seeing them, I have an older Lucchese anteater from around 1995 that I love. They are a gorgeous golden/brown in color and they were not cheap. Those anteaters sure are pretty!! Anteaters vs ostrich: the anteaters just do not have the give and stretch that I get with ostrich boots. I still pull out ostrich when I know it will be a long day. They are so much softer and feel "broken in" when you buy them. I would purchase my boots direct form the manager of Boot City in Lubbock, Texas. His name was "Guy" and I would call him direct and have most anything shipped. We had a good working relationship, and just shipped boots back and forth. Sure hurt the Am EX. in those days, especially after he sent me the Lucchese catalog. OMG I never dreamed of some of those style of boots. Eventually I sold many of them, but kept the top 25 pair. Then broke my leg in a sporting accident, so I cannot wear some of them now due to the fit and lift. But I can wear most. There are many 12 D exotic Lucchese boots that may be for sale someday if anyone desires them. I have to say that when you wear boots, you want to wear them all the time. There is a feel that really makes me feel in control. One of the other threads talks about wearing boots for his wedding, I say go for it. We really do understand. Thanks for listening now I will return to "boots anonymous".

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
Great looking boots there TipTop. Here are mine from Alberta Boot co.

a5c0888f.jpg

Oldest on the left youngest on the right. The yellow ones are due for re soling. Now I can't decide what pair I want to break in next. The short brown ones or the tall grey ones. Decisions decisions.
Johnny

Thx for steering me back over there Johnny; I hadn't visited that page since just before you posted these. All look handsome, but I have to ask you: What's with gray boots? I have a couple pairs of European sort of riding/street boots that I bought on sale (one suede, the other elephant) and never wear them. I think it is just that they are pale-looking down there, and I am accustomed to dark browns and a few blacks. Do you wear yours much?

TipTop

Practically Family
I`d be interested in your opinion who are the top bootmakers you would recommend and a few links to their sites for the record would be a great addition to this thread.

Nice collection!

As with any "art" form, a lot of the opinion about their work is just that. FWIW, here is my perosnal list developed through purchaseing, visits, measuring and direct contact.

I personally think that the highest quality hand made boot right now comes from Pedro Munoz at Stallion Boot Co. in El Paso. He will tell you directly that he continues to build boots the way Lucchese did in the "old" days of San Antonio--that is the best examples in the world. And they are as gorgeous as expensive. His wares are found in the finest western specialty stores (e.g. Axel's, Vail, etc.) Of note however, is that his lasts are of the old school and you may need upsize a half, especially if you have a high instep, as I do.
STALLION Boots Classic Stallion Cowboy Boots

A
nother old line top-end manufacturer is T.O. Stanley; I don't have any, but their stuff is renowned, and you can spot the S stitiched into the instep of the boot TO Stanley Boots

Dave Little's in San Antonio is great. I have a (vintage) pair of their alligators that are magnificent Dave Little's Boot Company

I
am very fond of J.B. Hill, ElPaso, but that's because I know him from the horse racing scene at Saratoga, just north of here. I have several pairs of his work and it is first class. Many are sold at high-end retailers. Diana, his top gal actually flew into ABQ to measure my foot, right at the airport, when I was there last spring. (Dr. Hill stitches his Texas Star trademark into the instep, where Stanley stitches their S.) They also have a Monthly boot special at 20% off. Custom Western Boots by J. B. Hill - World's Finest Handmade, Custom Cowboy Boots for Men and Women

I
am also very fond of Falconhead-Tres Outlaws. The store is in LA, but the boot works are in El Paso (across Cotton St from Stallion) and offered at other retailers. I find their 12D last to be very comfortable on my 12 E foot and have several pairs of their exotics. Chawne is a very helpful young man there. Get on their mailing list to receive exclusive discount offerings. Falconhead: Custom Western Boots, Our Boots, Handmade by Artisans.

A
nother of my favorites for high-style good-humor designs is Rocketbuster Boots in ElPaso. My partiality may be due to Nevena's wonderfully warm personality, as much as her creativity in styles. Great fun to visit there for ideas and measurement. Rocketbuster Boots!

Back at the Ranch, a high-end store in Santa Fe has beautiful boots, especially hand-tooled models. I would be hard-pressed to choose between their tooling and that of Tres Outlaws; but fit-wise, Tres Outlaws wins for me. Back at the Ranch Boots

Then, we get down to the more mass-produced boots and the arguably biggest name there, Lucchese. They have several outlet stores in ElPaso, right near the airport, so when in town....jump a cab just outside the airport grounds, but you should call to see which stores carries more of your desired models. The one nearer El Paso (off main airport road) carries more Classics, while the one up near the military base tends to have more of the street boots lines (1889, cowboy, etc) The store managers are very helpful and will ship for you; Google the stores for details, but here's their main site: Lucchese Boot Co. - Official Site

The largest RETAILER of Lucchese is Massachussetts-based Grapvinehill.com. They have a great shipping and return policy and also run huge email-based sales, as well as have a big presence on eBay. Grapevinehill.com: Ralph Lauren Shoes | Lucchese Boots | John Varvatos Shoes | Frye Boots | Ariat | Kenneth Cole Shoes | Timberland Boots | Brand name shoes, boots, and sandals

I have a pair of Champion Attitude Boots (aka Caboots) knee-high riding boots; they tend to be a specialty manufacturer (civil war re-enactors, movie styles, pirates boots, etc.) I bought my high boots at a high discount for motorcycle riding and had them change out the soles for rubber. Seems like a small operation, as the owner seems to answer the phone. Champion Attitude Boot Company Cowboy boots, custom made in El Paso Texas, the very best you can own. Cowboy Boots to Wear, Cowboy Boots to Admire.

Don't know anything about these guys, but they have a good local reputation:About Stewart Custom Boots of Tucson, AZ

That's about all that I am familiar with; I am sure you will be able to add more. Also, I'm going to post this separately for easy reference and additions.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Ray
To answer your first question; I just thought they were neat. Good eye catchers and great conversation starters. Particularly with the finer sex when I was young and single. Helps you stand out in a crowd.

Do I wear them? Yes I do. Now I only wear them outside of winter. But I usually choose one pair and wear them to the re-soling point. I don't usually mix and match threw out the week/year. This year I am going to break in the short brown ones.

Johnny

TipTop

Practically Family
Thanks Ray
To answer your first question; I just thought they were neat. Good eye catchers and great conversation starters. Particularly with the finer sex when I was young and single. Helps you stand out in a crowd.

Do I wear them? Yes I do. Now I only wear them outside of winter. But I usually choose one pair and wear them to the re-soling point. I don't usually mix and match threw out the week/year. This year I am going to break in the short brown ones.

Johnny

That's quite a plan, but daily wear has to be tough on them. Hope you have good boot trees--they have a more pronounced instep shape than shoe trees. Lucchese sells some as does their manufacturer, whose name I can't recall right now. Definitely worth looking for.

WineGuy

A-List Customer
44870c48.jpg

45253043.jpg

f0050609.jpg

I haven't the slightest clue why, but recently I've had a desire to purchase a pair of cowboy boots.

It really doesn't fit with my style, which is exclusively khakis, collared shirt, fedora, but it is one of those itches... :kick:

I am just lucky I haven't happened across my size yet. How bad an idea is it? I was hoping I could depend on The Fedora Lounge to finally convince me not to go through with it and drop the idea all together.

028927rg4_000.jpg
038360rb1_000.jpg

Hey JS...same happened to me! Actually my daughter had me watch the remake of Footloose with her and I got totally turned on to the line dancing, boots, hats and gals of course. A month later my wife and I are the proud owners of some nice boots, I just got a great Stetson Straw and we're both taking line dancing lessons. Anyway, my downfall is when I get into something it becomes an obsession so I researched the hell out of western boots and came across an under the radar boutique producer called "Botas Cuadra" from Mexico. The word Cuadra, among other things, means a stable but is actually the last name of Fernando Cuadra a famous race car driver who started a luxury leather goods line positioned between Coach and Louis Vuitton...his boots are hand made and are on par with Luchesse Classics(if not superior). My boots are black stingray with the classic "white pearls" on the vamps. Super comfortable and dressy enough for jeans to chino's...we'll see in the fall if I can pull off a suit with them on.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I just bought a pair of ropers (Ariat), which as far as I can tell from reading are a kinda gateway drug into western boots. I like them a lot, and they will be getting a lot of wear.

Only boots I've bought in five years are Luchesse and Rios of Mercedes. I like 'em pointy too - J or X toes. I'll be shopping later this summer in Colorado and Wyoming for a new pair.

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Greetings, Folks,

Well, born and raised in Texas, "way back when", I grew up wearing western hats and boots, jeans, and proper long-sleeved shirts. Moved to California in the mid-'60's, and gradually changed my style. Part of this had to do with not having a horse anymore, and part of it because my instep became too high for comfort in the boots I'd always worn.

Fast forward to a desire to once again be able to dress as was comfortable when I was growing up in Texas, and enter El Dorado Boot Company, from my home State! As surprising as it was, boots from that company fit me very well, indeed, and were quite comfortable. So, I bought a "selection" of their boots, and am I glad I did! They are now long out of business, and I've never again found another company that makes a boot that fits me as well!! So, my half dozen pairs of El Dorado Boots, from work boots to fairly fancy, still keep me in good stead when I wish to wear them, and my wife simply loves them! I can take and post a photo of my small stable of El Dorado Boots, if anyone might like to see them. Suffice it to say, I'm a happy man with boots from that now defunct company, and am glad I have enough to keep me in good boots for years to come. Hand-made, and very comfortable, not to mention great looking, what's not to like?! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Good Morning, Gentlemen,

Thank you for the interest in seeing my small stable of boots. I will take and post photos next week, when I get back from a job. My boots will not be quite as fancy as some of the stunners I've seen in this thread, but I love them, and as mentioned, so does my wife. So, they work for me. Thanks to one and all who have already shared their boots here, and I will join you next week! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

P.S. For some reason, CircuitRider's post came through as being in yellow, and at least on my computer, I can't read it at all until I highlight it. Is that intentional on his part? Just asking....

Good Morning, P.S. For some reason, CircuitRider's post came through as being in yellow, and at least on my computer, I can't read it at all until I highlight it. Is that intentional on his part? Just asking....
Drives me nuts too. There's a few folks that insist on the yellow text thing and I have learned to just skip those posts. Not sure why it's necessary...Not a personal slam fellas - but it is really annoying :)

Mercer

One of the Regulars
Just thought I'd share my latest boot purchase -- I was in Oklahoma last week, and I ended up buying a pair of Red Wing 2231s:

redwing2231_big.jpg

They replaced the Red Wing 1155s that I had once upon a time. I made the mistake of selling the 1155s on eBay because I had other boots, but then I regretted it, as I realized I still wanted/needed a pair of boots that would serve as sh**-kickers. The store I went in in OK had the above style, which I liked even better, so I bought 'em.

Oh, I forgot to add that since I first posted in this thread a while back, I said I had a pair of the following Lucchese 1883 boots (tan mad dog goat):
products23_big.jpg

And at the time I also said I wanted to get this style of Lucchese Classics, which I've since obtained (thanks to eBay and for a great deal):
L1535.jpg

Finallly, I got another pair of Lucchese 1883s -- this time chocolate mad dog goat:
products24_big.jpg

But while I'm for sure gonna stick with the Red Wings and Lucchese Classics, at this time, with the 2 pairs of Lucchese 1883s, I sorta feel like I could take 'em or leave 'em (in part because a boot store opened not too far from my house, and they specialize in Justin, Tony Lama, Nocona, and Chippewa boots -- and there are some Justin and Tony Lama styles that tempt me -- including exotic skin styles like ostrich).

Last edited:

DougC

Practically Family
If you want a good knock around boot, take a look at the Justin Bent Rails. I wasn't really sold on square toed boots, but I tried on a pair and they are awesome! I have a pair of Lucchese, Tony Lama, and Red Wings:but, the Justins are much more comfortable.

Mercer

One of the Regulars
Unfortunately, I wear an 11. Sorry to disappoint you. :(

I'd like to add that one reason I'm not so sure whether or not I really like my Lucchese 1883s is because IMO they look better in the pics. The tan mad dogs look to be an almost golden tan color in the photo, but they look duller in person -- more distressed, if you will, than the photo depicts. Ditto for the chocolate mad dogs. Man, I hate it when boots look a certain way in a photo but different once they arrive at my house!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt