Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Colorado boot maker Dave "Hutch" Hutchings died on Nov. 06. Proud to own a pair of his boots. He mentored a number of boot makers. Here's a small article on a fellow he mentored and one of the few pics I could find of Hutch.

http://castlerocknewspress.net/stories/boot-makers-craft-art-friendship,63169

CIMG5476.JPG
CIMG5477.JPG

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
35135AEA-F4B5-4F1F-BE1D-50D3FDB2F34F.jpeg
Greetings All:
Was wearing these today so i thought i’d put em up. Been wearing them some and fairly surprised how they feel breaking in. Not bad.
Rios of Mercedes Stingrays. Stingray is some tough stuff. A man could skin a knuckle on these.
Have a reflective Veteran’s Day. It’s all because of them.
Be well. Bowen

Thank you for this. There is something about viewing a craftsman at the top of his game that gets me all misty eyed. His boots are things of beauty.

Thank you for this. There is something about viewing a craftsman at the top of his game that gets me all misty eyed. His boots are things of beauty.

bb, glad you enjoyed this. If you haven't, look up some info on Charlie Dunn. He built boots for Buck Steiner at Capitol Saddlery for $3.25 an hour back in the 70's. He has a pretty good Wikipedia page.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Has anyone here tried these Vibram rubber half soles on their boots? They say they glue on and trim and it's done. I just had a pair of Lucchese boots resoled and no matter how much I try to scuff them on concrete they are still slick. I take a blood thinner and already had to have holes drilled in my head to drain blood from a brain aneurysm. I don't need to bang my head again.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
@Winston Carter, I have one pair with them but the brand is Varese. Some call them sole savers. They work and don't change the profile of the boot nor the foot strike as you walk.
Thank You !! I will try them. I told the cobbler to put neoprene soles and heels on but after waiting 6 weeks for my boots when I went to pick them up they were leather. I was already pissed off so I paid him and left with them.:):)

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 144002 Greetings All:
Was wearing these today so i thought i’d put em up. Been wearing them some and fairly surprised how they feel breaking in. Not bad.
Rios of Mercedes Stingrays. Stingray is some tough stuff. A man could skin a knuckle on these.
Have a reflective Veteran’s Day. It’s all because of them.
Be well. Bowen
And thank you, to you, and all your brothers! Because of you guys we get to sit and BS about hats!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Hey folks!
So I've been in contact with a boot maker from Leon, Mexico, and am about to place an order for a pair of cowboy boots. These are my first pair of custom boots, and I want to make sure I am doing everything right. So what best place to come asking for advice, right?

These boots are going to be my "only" pair of cowboy boots. I'll be using them mostly for motorcycle riding, but I want to be able to go horseback riding in them comfortably, should I want to.
My choices so far are:
- Full-grain roughout leather (just because an old pair of crappy industrial boots I had were like this and I liked them), possibly waxed.
- Since the smooth side of the leather is going to be inside, I was thinking of going unlined. Yay or nay?
- 1"3/4 heel and 13" shaft.
- Decorative stitching only around the top opening.

Now, do you boot gurus have any suggestion about these specs, or about anything I should ask/tell the maker?

Now for some questions:
How do you call the "rolled" sole in the mid section? I know it's a given, but I want to make sure they make it this way and don't know how to refer to it.
I've read that a toe box is a feature added for protection in the event a horse should step on your toes. Is this true and should I ask for one?

Lastly, I'd like your comments on the soles in the below picture, taken from a listing on ebay of a pair of boots for sale made by this maker. I can't see the "pegs". Is that a bad sign?
Thanks to anyone that would like to chime in.

boots.jpg

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Hey folks!
So I've been in contact with a boot maker from Leon, Mexico, and am about to place an order for a pair of cowboy boots. These are my first pair of custom boots, and I want to make sure I am doing everything right. So what best place to come asking for advice, right?

These boots are going to be my "only" pair of cowboy boots. I'll be using them mostly for motorcycle riding, but I want to be able to go horseback riding in them comfortably, should I want to.
My choices so far are:
- Full-grain roughout leather (just because an old pair of crappy industrial boots I had were like this and I liked them), possibly waxed.
- Since the smooth side of the leather is going to be inside, I was thinking of going unlined. Yay or nay?
- 1"3/4 heel and 13" shaft.
- Decorative stitching only around the top opening.

Now, do you boot gurus have any suggestion about these specs, or about anything I should ask/tell the maker?

Now for some questions:
How do you call the "rolled" sole in the mid section? I know it's a given, but I want to make sure they make it this way and don't know how to refer to it.
I've read that a toe box is a feature added for protection in the event a horse should step on your toes. Is this true and should I ask for one?

Lastly, I'd like your comments on the soles in the below picture, taken from a listing on ebay of a pair of boots for sale made by this maker. I can't see the "pegs". Is that a bad sign?
Thanks to anyone that would like to chime in.

View attachment 144254
I'm no boot expert so all I can tell you what is comfortable to me. If you are going to wear them MC riding I would suggest Neoprene soles. As far as unlined inside foot that will be fine after break in. I would suggest custom cushioned insoles and light soft comfortable uppers that will more comfortable on your legs and ankles.

Has anyone here tried these Vibram rubber half soles on their boots? They say they glue on and trim and it's done. I just had a pair of Lucchese boots resoled and no matter how much I try to scuff them on concrete they are still slick. I take a blood thinner and already had to have holes drilled in my head to drain blood from a brain aneurysm. I don't need to bang my head again.
I live in a wet climate and have all my keeper boots and shoes with a Topy sole covering. It keeps the leather intact and when/if I wear the Topy out it is a cheap fix $40 or so, rather than an entire resole. There are two types a Topy and I think a thicker one called a Puma (or some cat like name). Both are thiin and do not enlarge the profile of the sole very much. They give slip resistance and greater wear for the $40 without altering the boot. LuvMyMan here on the Lounge buys knockoffs off Ebay and does it herself but I don't have the patience. Tried it once and it was a complete failure so I leave it to the professionals now.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I live in a wet climate and have all my keeper boots and shoes with a Topy sole covering. It keeps the leather intact and when/if I wear the Topy out it is a cheap fix $40 or so, rather than an entire resole. There are two types a Topy and I think a thicker one called a Puma (or some cat like name). Both are thiin and do not enlarge the profile of the sole very much. They give slip resistance and greater wear for the $40 without altering the boot. LuvMyMan here on the Lounge buys knockoffs off Ebay and does it herself but I don't have the patience. Tried it once and it was a complete failure so I leave it to the professionals now.
That's what I have to do to a pair of Lucchese boots I own. The resoled leather sole is so slick it feels like i'm on ice on hardwood floors. The heel has a rubber covering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner