Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is a pair of incoming RODNEY AMMONS 10.5E FRENCH TOE MENS COWBOY BOOTS SEVILLE CORD GOAT that I just purchased. The seller appears professional.

My first try with Rodney Ammons may be on the roomy side the real test is the instep

View attachment 408845 View attachment 408846 View attachment 408847

I financed the purchase with the sale of a pair of M. L. Leddy buckaroo style boots I just never seem to wear. They were in excellent shape original heel caps bearly showing wear

View attachment 408848 View attachment 408849

The trade or next from both transactions with eBay fees and sale tax and delivery was with in $1 of break even
unfortunately. I had to return the Ammons boots. The boots were listed 4 1/4" WIDEST POINT ACROSS THE SOLE.
I measured less than 4" across the soles

The same seller has the Justin lizard boots I asked about a couple of posts back. I have asked the seller for a picture showing tape across the soles. I am disappointed those Ammon boots were in stellar condition

IMG_0385.JPG

Last edited:

jonbuilder

I am looking at a pair of Justin boots and do not know how to date them or more important know the quality of the boots built. The label is stamped inside the boot with made in US. I never purchased a pair of Justin boots being turned off by what I saw in a boot store when I first became interested in wearing western boots. I have read through about 200 posts here during the past week and found a lot of good and interesting posts
The seller is a boot dealing with many high-end boots
View attachment 409435 View attachment 409436 View attachment 409439 View attachment 409440 View attachment 409441
Justin's reply
These boots were produced in March of 1988 and constructed of Sahara Lizard, color Peanut Brittle. The upper is of Brown Brush Off Goat. They have a J12 toe and an H heel.
Beautiful boots and appear to be in great condition.

So the boots were built 2 years prior to the sale of Justin Industries to Berkshire-Hathaway Corp.

Last edited:
Not very knowledgeable when it comes to Westerns but I have been looking at these hand tooled boots from Heritage Boots.

The one I'm most familiar with is the work put out by Little's cowboy boots in conjunction with leather worker Bob Dellis. Dave is no longer making boots but I think his son is running the shop. Not sure if Dellis is still alive. Liberty makes a tooled boot. Not a lot of info to be found.

red devil

The one I'm most familiar with is the work put out by Little's cowboy boots in conjunction with leather worker Bob Dellis. Dave is no longer making boots but I think his son is running the shop. Not sure if Dellis is still alive. Liberty makes a tooled boot. Not a lot of info to be found.

Thanks, Bob Dellis passed away. But I can always try to contact Little's Boot company to ask for some info. How are they in general as a maker?

Liberty is a big brand? Sorry still not finding out about who is who

red devil

How do you work out your fit? Do you always go to the premises or have you successfully ordered a good fitting pair online?

Missed this earlier.

There are makers that offer alternatives to on site measurement. Paul Bond, Rocketbuster and Legendary come to mind. I have never gone about it that way. A few small shops will do it but you'd have to contact them individually.

Here's a pair from Rocketbuster. $5320
1647630635273.png

red devil

Missed this earlier.

There are makers that offer alternatives to on site measurement. Paul Bond, Rocketbuster and Legendary come to mind. I have never gone about it that way. A few small shops will do it but you'd have to contact them individually.

Here's a pair from Rocketbuster. $5320
View attachment 411128

Wow! These look amazing! Price is beyond my budget though. Impressive how far it can go. I took a look at their website, they have so many interesting designs! There are even some form their "over the top" gallery I could see myself wearing such as

1647638059925.png

1647638091574.png

1647638168664.png

The pair you linked to is my favourite from their hand tooled ones, looks so good!

Getting back to getting a pair, it seems I really need to visit Texas or Arizona and get measured directly.

jonbuilder

unfortunately. I had to return the Ammons boots. The boots were listed 4 1/4" WIDEST POINT ACROSS THE SOLE.
I measured less than 4" across the soles

The same seller has the Justin lizard boots I asked about a couple of posts back. I have asked the seller for a picture showing tape across the soles. I am disappointed those Ammon boots were in stellar condition

View attachment 410138
I did not purchase the Justin boots from this seller. The seller never posted pictures of the boot sole with tape across the widest spot. I asked thee times he said he would get to it but never did. The seller reposted the Ammons boots I returned with the same 4 1/4" sole width contrary to the picture above. I asked the seller if he had re-measured the Ammons boots that I returned and he replied he has not had a chance. The Ammons boots were stamped with 510.5 on the interior so the 10.5 E posted size made sense. I have no experience with Justine boot fit and did want to proceed without the seller's communication regarding size measurements.

And that's a real good thing. Berkshire-Hathaway didnt want Justin Boots, they wanted the Acme Brick Co. but eventually the sale included Justin who also owned TL, Nocona and Chippewa boots.
I find it interesting how these buy outs play out across all industries. I am a vintage mountain bike collector and the same thing happened in this industry. A guy (or group of guys) with a passion for bikes starts a company making wonderful bikes.....they grow, too fast or reach a point where they need to get bigger or die and along comes a big company with a buyout offer. The brand's quality is either compromised so it has no meaning or is quickly merged into the mega brand's offerings and slowly fades into the sunset. Sad but it sure seems the way it plays out.

Anyone looking for a 12 D? These boots are made by Jesse Bogle or at the very least came out of his shop but it was always my understanding he had a one man shop. That doesnt mean anything as boot history is often hard to nail down. My dealings were at a rodeo. I have three pair of his boots and two pair have the same distinct stitch pattern as this boot and that I've only ever seen on his boots. The profile of his boots is rather distict as well. Maybe an early pair as his stamp is on the front of the shaft of all of mine and none have a size marking in them. Looks as if the shafts have been dyed as it bled through the stitching. $55

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider