Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Also very nice! The tops of those are incredible. That stitching really glows against the black cherry leather.

Thanks again. They are a favorite pair. They wear like French calf but are tough as ******. Can't hardly scratch them. I have a pair of his boots in full quill ostritch I'll post later.

TipTop

Practically Family
A Butch Dorer, very nice! May I ask which of his selections you have/had? I saw where he made a hat for a "Dallas" cast member. From what I have been able to see Dorer has some great quality craftsmanship.

Hi Western, It's a Pure Beaver from ML Leddy's and is stamped 7 3/8 Dorer. It feels like the correct size today, but has felt large in the past. I love the hat, but the brim is just too wide for upstate NY.

TipTop

Practically Family
I see the 3 pictures...

Tip Top never replied to me so the hat must be with him.
Sorry Joao, I rely on the web site to alert me to new postings, and today, I got a flood of them, including yours and Western's. As I recall, I paid about $450 for it from its original owner in South Carolina.

TipTop

Practically Family
Thank you. Jesse Bogle black cherry elephant with kangaroo tops and a star? stitch pattern.
View attachment 26139
Those dark cherry elephants are wonderful, and the stitching is great too. ; My fav elephants are "distressed" grey Lucchese Classics with an orangish trim on the shaft. Sounds hideous but really very distinctive. Very comfortable and as they are already distressed, I don't worry about wearing them hiking out into the bush for photography.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Sorry Joao, I rely on the web site to alert me to new postings, and today, I got a flood of them, including yours and Western's. As I recall, I paid about $450 for it from its original owner in South Carolina.

wow way too much! But it must be really nice.

Those dark cherry elephants are wonderful, and the stitching is great too. ; My fav elephants are "distressed" grey Lucchese Classics with an orangish trim on the shaft. Sounds hideous but really very distinctive. Very comfortable and as they are already distressed, I don't worry about wearing them hiking out into the bush for photography.
Thanks, TipTop, image.jpg
I'm pretty sure I've seen Lucchese elephants in the colors you describe, sounds odd but with cowboy boots, unusual often works. These are my only Lucchese's, NIB 2002 half/half, smooth and full quill, cognac ostrich with smooth ostrich inlays on a darker goatskin shaft with Kennedy pulls and ostrich overlays. Never worn except on the sales room floor and around the house.

Jesse Bogle cognac full quill ostrich cowboy boots with calfskin shafts. These boots have brogueing around the collar as well as smooth ostrich inlays. Ostrich overlays on the pulls. Same stitch pattern as the elephant pair.
image.jpg

Nice elephants. That gray works with just about everything and nice toe. Blackjack makes a nice boot. I have a pair in black smooth ostrich.

O'Sully

Familiar Face
Awesome boots in this thread. My daily wear consists of an old pair of Justin's and a new pair of ariats. Nothing quite as nice as some of y'alls though.

I really like Black Jack boots.

I own both Black Jack and Lucchese classics. Put them next to each other and the quality of construction is about equal. The finish and the details are probably a little finer on the Lucchese's but not enough to justify the price difference, IMO. Black Jack puts on the heaviest sole of any factory boot I've come across. I believe former Lucchese employees started Black Jack.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!! Textboox classic late 50s /early 60s style. Those are awesome!

I'm very partial to those pointy toes, y'know.

Thanks, again. I'm partial to them myself but like all styles except for the wide square toes that have gained popularity in recent years. These boots have the original soles and what I believe are the original heels. They were made when Leddy only had the one shop in San Angelo. I showed them to a bootmaker once who said he believed, due to interior markings, that they were made by Leddy himself. Never contacted Leddy's to find out if they could tell me for sure. Sometimes it's better to think so and be happy than to find out for sure and be disappointed.

Thanks, again. I'm partial to them myself but like all styles except for the wide square toes that have gained popularity in recent years. These boots have the original soles and what I believe are the original heels. They were made when Leddy only had the one shop in San Angelo. I showed them to a bootmaker once who said he believed, due to interior markings, that they were made by Leddy himself. Never contacted Leddy's to find out if they could tell me for sure. Sometimes it's better to think so and be happy than to find out for sure and be disappointed.

I'm with you. To say that I don't much care for that style would be a gross understatement.
I've seen tons of vintage square toe boots from the 40s and 50s (and even some from the 60s and 70s) that look great, but the newer super wide, flattened out style just isn't for me at all.

I'll say it again, though, those M.L. Leddy's are top shelf boots. Would you mind posting a shot of the toe, showing the stitching?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner