Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mark George said:
- By and large, you shouldn't ask boots to do something they weren't designed for. They are poor for hiking, walking long distances, in winter weather conditions, etc.
[...]
- Ropers are not really western boots at all, and have none of the benefits in style or comfort. They are not built on boot lasts, and are in fact, high-topped loafers.
I'm glad I didn't get educated before I bought my current pair of Justin ropers, then. I find them quite comfortable, even for moderately long walks (2-4 mi perhaps).
3714.jpg

Model 3714, Corona Tan.
High topped loafers, hmph. More like very short English riding boots.

metalforart

New in Town
Mark George said:
Metalforart,

The only one of those three I know anything about are Paul Bond boots - I have three pair. The ones I have are dress boots, and don't seem all that sturdy, but I know they do make work boots. Their stock work boots are waxed calf, but they have every other kind of leather, too. The craftsmen at Paul Bond's make some really beautiful boots.

If you get your boots custom-fitted, then whatever you get will have a superior fit compared to stock sizes. I am jealous of those people that can comfortably wear off-the-shelf boots.

The next boots I get will be made by Loveless in OKC. Their products are beautiful, and they make everything from fancy dress boots to lace-up hunting boots and packers. Not to mention their shoes! The older I get, the more I like the idea of having custom orthotics built in. Also, I bet they are less expensive than Bonds!

Anyway, good luck, and please post a picture once you get your boots.

Mark

Mark

I will post some pics of the boots. I hope in 2-3 months when the boots are finish, I will know how to work my new camera.

Thanks again,
Metalforart

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
I'm glad I didn't get educated before I bought my current pair of Justin ropers, then. I find them quite comfortable, even for moderately long walks (2-4 mi perhaps).

lol :eusa_clap lol Yep, I wonder if all them thar cowboys know their boots aren't good for walking long distances in. ;)

Mark George

New in Town
Oh, they know...

I did not mean to disparage ropers, or in any way insult anyone's "inner cowboy," however, cowboy boots and ropers are differerent animals. They are made differently, and on distinctly different lasts (ropers are built on shoe lasts). From your foot's perspective, ropers are shoes; short heel, flat arch, rounded toe. So, of course, they are more comfortable to walk in - just like loafers. They are also very popular because of the comfort, the generic looks (no toe bugs or wrinkles), and the price. After the movie "Urban Cowboy," came out, the popularity of ropers (and boots in general) skyrocketed.

On the other hand, traditional (20th century, USA) cowboy boots have higher heels, a high arch, and a rounded (often, pegged) shank. They may or may not have pointy toes or fancy embellishments. They are worlds apart in how they fit and how they feel as compared to ropers. As I said before, they are comfortable, due to the arch support, but not ideal for hiking or long walks. In general, the lower the heel, the better they are for walking, hence the name "walking heels," versus "riding heels." But, even walking heels are not as short as roper heels. Go to www.paulbondboots.com and click on "stock cowboy work boots." Those are good examples of traditional cowboy boots, but I would not recommend them for a long, brisk walk. Although, some people can do it. I would, however, recommend them for riding, or just standing around looking cool...

Again, I apologize if I offended anyone with my distinction between ropers and cowboy boots. In sum, get some ropers and go for a long walk; get cowboy boots and go for shorter walk! Or better yet, a ride!

Mark

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Not a big deal Mark - I'm just such a persnickety walker (as opposed to rider) that I'm having trouble seeing the advantage in a boot that's comfortable for riding but not walking. Cowpunching is an active lifestyle - or at least was. What changed?

Mark George

New in Town
Fletch,

You can walk around or ride in any boot. My point was that a cowboy boot would not be my first pick if I planned to walk a long way, plow a field, mow the yard, go hiking, etc. There are better choices out there. But, if you spend a lot of time on horseback, boots may be your best choice. I am a big proponent of choosing the correct footwear for the activity you intend to engage in. I admit, I have been damn near crippled trying to walk around all day in certain boots. The same boots are very comfortable for limited excursions.

Which reminds me of a Louis L'Amour book (Hombre, I think) where the main character gets waylaid by bandits out on the trail and loses his ride. Anticipating a long walk back, he changes out of his boots and into moccasins...

Mark

I mostly agree with Mark's assessment.
I now have at least a dozen pair of western boots. Mainly older style Lucchese...Justin...and Paul Bond. All traditional style "Cowboy" boots...although some with different style toe. My thicker leather pair of Justin work boots with pointed toe are definately the most uncomfortable for continuous walking. However...my older series Lucchese "black cherry" boots with rounded square toe...Cowboy heel(but not the taller Riding heel or flatter walking heel)...and soft leather(more of a dress boot) seem as comfortable as houseslippers for long walks. I don't know how they do it(or once made Lucchese's this comfortable)....but it does blow the others away!
HD

Mark George

New in Town
HoosierDaddy,

Some of those older Lucchese boots are really superb. The fit and finish, the stitching, the materials - all first rate. I can understand why they were considered the "Cadillac" of their day. One of the most gratifying things about collecting boots is when you run across that magic pair that fits like no other. Then, you really have something.

Mark

Western versus "Cowboy" boots

I have to agree with Mark. I tried to do Six Flags over Texas in Dallas one day (which is a hell of a lot of walkin') in a pair of buckaroos (high, slung under heel with 17" tops). Thought I was gonna DIE!! When I'm riding down on the farm (they don't "ranch" in Northern Virginia) I wear boots made for riding. When I'm wearing Dockers and a tie doing clinic at the Med. Center, I wear ropers. You wear what you need to do the job.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Ariat makes a good, durable and comfortable cowboy boot. I have never had a pair of custom boots but I've owned Dan Post, Tony Llama and several Justin pairs of boots. The Ariats are just as comfortable to me.

D

DeaconKC

My Grandpa bought me my first pair of cowboy boots when I was 2 years old and I've been in 'em every since. Good points about the differences of heel and shank styles for comfort. I have never owned a handmade pair because I am too cheap to pay for them. But, I have been served very well by Justin's, Frye's, Tony Llama's and several other good makers. Try them on, wear them around the house for a bit and let your feet get used to them before long walks. Also, if you have wide feet like I do, a more rounded toe will oftn feel better at the end of the day.

Mark George

New in Town
Lincsong,

Lucchese has used goatskin for some of their dress boots for many years. They look like a million bucks all shined up, but they scuff easily. In fact, I have had unfortunate encounters with steps that actually "barked" the finished surface of the leather. There may be a more durable goat skin out there, but my only experience has been with Luccheses. Are they worth the extra dough? Not in my opinion; you can get a helluva shine on French or Italian calf, and it is typically more durable. If you are looking for casual or work boots, there are almost certainly better hides out there.

Mark

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Tony Lama, Justin, and Nocona were all acquired by Tony Lama. Then Warren Buffet bought Tony Lama. They are all Berkshire-Hathaway companies now.

If you are interested in a dress cowboy boot that is mass produced, then Nocona or Tony Lama would be my choice. Luchesse is considered the premier of the mass produced boots and much more expensive. I had a pair of Nocona boots. Very nice goat skins. They were stolen out of my car while on a gas well job in Arkansas.

Here in Houston we have several boot makers, hence here in Texas you can still get quality boots made by hand.

More common in Texas for everyday boot wear are ropers. These are low heeled cowboy boots, very plain. I have a pair that I use when riding my motorcycle unless I am wearing my RedWing motorcycle boots. Typically these cheaper roper cowboy boots are made of thick cowhide. We use Neat's Foot oil or mink oil to break them in. They are bullitt-proof.

M8

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Mark George said:
Lincsong,

Lucchese has used goatskin for some of their dress boots for many years. They look like a million bucks all shined up, but they scuff easily. In fact, I have had unfortunate encounters with steps that actually "barked" the finished surface of the leather. There may be a more durable goat skin out there, but my only experience has been with Luccheses. Are they worth the extra dough? Not in my opinion; you can get a helluva shine on French or Italian calf, and it is typically more durable. If you are looking for casual or work boots, there are almost certainly better hides out there.

Mark

My problem is that I have a wide foot. My last pair of Lucchese's were calfskin, 8.5 EE and my foot wore out the side in one year. The goatskins come in 4E so I'm hoping I can get another year out of them. Plus, I'm on my feet a lot and I go through a set of heels a month and rubber soles every three months. Leather soles last 4 weeks at the most with me. So I'm again in the market for some cowboy boots.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Martinis at 8 said:
Uh, guys this may be dated, but I think there is/was a ban on importing goat skin into the US. Something to do with Greece...?

Huh?:eek: What's up with that? The sites are advertising "goat skin" so either it's false advertising or the ban has been lifted. It could also be an individual state thing. I believe that kangaroo hides can't be sold in California, but are allowed in other states??[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner