Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

NOS boots from another defunct Mexican co., Brahma. Fairly well made with rolled arches and double pegged soles. A much better boot than some of TL's offerings coming from Mexico. The vamp is antelope.
image.jpg

Nice ones. The antelope has a good looking grain. Reminds me a little of bullhide, but I imagine much more supple.

As far as Mexican boots go, it's been my experience that the Mexican makers can hold their own. Most put out a pretty decent product. It's when American brands are sending production south to save a buck that quality often becomes an issue. A half-ass made pair of boots is a half-ass made pair of boots, no matter which side of the fence they're from.

Nice ones. The antelope has a good looking grain. Reminds me a little of bullhide, but I imagine much more supple.

As far as Mexican boots go, it's been my experience that the Mexican makers can hold their own. Most put out a pretty decent product. It's when American brands are sending production south to save a buck that quality often becomes an issue. A half-ass made pair of boots is a half-ass made pair of boots, no matter which side of the fence they're from.
Yeah, the appearance is similar to bullhide but much softer. I don't think it would hold up under heavy wear. Like you, I don't have a problem with Mexican brand boots made in Mexico. Lots of skilled labor and boot making experience there. I'll post some comparative photos one day showing TL's I own made here and Made in Mexico.

Some Blackjack boots in smooth ostrich with a goat, J cord shaft and ostrich overlays on the pulls. To me, Blackjack puts out one of the better US made factory boots at a reasonable price. Quality of build is similar to Lucchese Classics at about half the cost. The finish is maybe not as nice as the Lucchese's but leathers and construction are comparable. Got these on sale for less than half the over $500 retail. The problem is finding a brick and mortar store where you can try some on.
image.jpg

Nice ones Bamaboots. You're killing me, you know. I haven't thought about a pair for myself in years, but I've sure been looking a lot lately. This forum'll do that to you.

Nice ones Bamaboots. You're killing me, you know. I haven't thought about a pair for myself in years, but I've sure been looking a lot lately. This forum'll do that to you.

It's an addiction I struggle with. I go into remission for awhile and it suddenly resurfaces. I even went to rehab for it until I found out it was for quitters.

It's an addiction I struggle with. I go into remission for awhile and it suddenly resurfaces. I even went to rehab for it until I found out it was for quitters.
Yeah...it may take me all summer to squirrel away enough spare cash, but I see a new pair in the future.

DougC

Practically Family
I wouldn't say rich, I got a bargain--I went to the Lucchese store and thought $800 was too much for ropers, so I headed over to Cavenders and "saved" $450. The nice thing is that these boots should last for years if my dress Luccheses are any indication of how the boots will wear--those boots are at least 12 years old. I don't think I'm ready for custom boots. Of course, my Justins will get lots of time on my feet.

A pair of my older boots. I have a lot of miles on these. RL (Ralph Lauren) Western before the transition to RRL. Pretty nice boots. A nice thing about RL boots they're usually contracted with a U.S. manufacturer. Don't know who made these, U.S. mfg., but they are pretty well made and the newer RRL boots are made by Rios of Mercedes.
image.jpg

Those look good Bamaboots.
I never k new Ralph Lauren was in the cowboy boot business. Makes sense, he's done a lot of nice western shirts and jackets.

Those look good Bamaboots.
I never k new Ralph Lauren was in the cowboy boot business. Makes sense, he's done a lot of nice western shirts and jackets.

It's one of the anomalies of Ralph Lauren and Polo. No advertisement on their western wear, at least the RRL stuff, though it's some of the nicest around. I have some of their western shirts with real mother of pearl snaps. The boots are sold in limited numbers, 50 or so I'm told, in select locations.

Here is a pair of RRL (used to be RL Western) nubucks. These were made for RL by Rios of Mercedes. Had them for awhile but never made it in the rotation. Probably gonna be for sale before too long. (I never make impulse buys)
image.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner