Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Boots

zeus36

A-List Customer
For a 14-hour drive, I would going to a boot maker that will create a wooden last of your feet. The boots would then be bespoke to your measurements and the last can be used for multiple pairs. The Paul Bond boots are custom handmade but are not built to your feet, so they are produced in standard sizes. There should be some good custom boot makers in Wyoming that will build you a set at the same or less cost as the Bond boots.
I've been wearing western boots and jeans since the mid-70's. They are a nice alternative to the "biker boots" when I ride my motorcycles.

A question for all the boot people here. I'm considering a pair of Paul Bond boots. I've never had a custom pair before, usually trying on two or three styles at a store before finding one that's good enough to work in.

Is it worth going to the store to have them fitted by their staff, or is the measuring/ mail order process pretty good? It's something close to a 14 hour drive from here to there, but I hope to only have to buy a custom pair of boots once, and I want them to be right.

Opinions?

Here is a fairly comprehensive list of bootmakers, with a number of them closer to you.
http://dev4.artlung.com/custom-boots/cowboyboot-makers/

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
I haven't been able to find any boot makers here. There are a couple of places that do repairs and sell boots, but I haven't found any makers.

The other reason I'm considering a trip is to see how their styles fit on me. Having them custom made will help, but I'm still not sure how narrow to go with the toe before it starts pinching.

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
Thanks Bama! Somehow I missed that. I'll have to check them out, a couple are four hours from me and a couple are seven. Either way, much closer than Arizona. Thanks!

The other reason I'm considering a trip is to see how their styles fit on me. Having them custom made will help, but I'm still not sure how narrow to go with the toe before it starts pinching.

56 you're welcome for the info.

A good bootmaker can make any style you want. They generally won't copy another's design, but will make something similar with their own "spin" on it. Take a photo of the style you're wanting. As far as narrow toe boxes go, fitted properly, your toes won't be anywhere close to being pinched.

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
I've been looking through some of their websites. The places in Wyoming don't have much online, and one that did seems to be a bit more than I planned to spend. I'm going through the list of places in Colorado now.

Since they can all make pretty much any style, what criteria do you really focus on to pick a boot maker? Since I'm hoping to only have to do this once, I want to make sure I find the right person.

Since they can all make pretty much any style, what criteria do you really focus on to pick a boot maker? Since I'm hoping to only have to do this once, I want to make sure I find the right person.

56, one of the first things to consider is turn around time. Some makers have a two year waiting period, sometimes longer. Reputation and examples of their work is important. Something you can put your hands on when you visit their shop. Wood pegged soles and leather examples as well. Consider what you're using the boots for, just wearing, work or time in the saddle. Don't know how close you are to SE Montana but Schwarz Custom Boots make a fine boot. I don't own any but have seen examples of them and they also teach bootmaking. They have a website.

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
I'm northwest of Cheyenne, looks like the closest boot makers are in Colorado around Denver, about two hours one way. The next closest would be the Wyoming makers in Sheridan or Gillette. All my boots thus far have been Ariat types, rubber soles, etc. I'm so new to this I don't know if I could identify the differences between two different custom boots as far as construction goes.

What I'm doing depends on the time of year, sometimes we're riding 10 hours a day and sometimes we're not, sometimes you're on and off a horse working on the ground.

I'm surprised a horse lets you mount it wearing those Reeboks.:eek: If you're getting them to ride and work in, you have to consider the hide; shrunken shoulder and waxed calf are good choices and Paul Bond makes a good working cowboy boot in stock sizes, if you can wear them. They come in waxed calf, tall tops and spur ledges. They're others here that may offer more insight. I think you may need to offer more info in to what you're looking for.

Last edited:
For a 14-hour drive, I would going to a boot maker that will create a wooden last of your feet. The boots would then be bespoke to your measurements and the last can be used for multiple pairs. The Paul Bond boots are custom handmade but are not built to your feet, so they are produced in standard sizes. There should be some good custom boot makers in Wyoming that will build you a set at the same or less cost as the Bond boots.
I've been wearing western boots and jeans since the mid-70's. They are a nice alternative to the "biker boots" when I ride my motorcycles.
Not true. Only boots bought off the shelf at Paul Bond's are made on standard lasts.

...but I hope to only have to buy a custom pair of boots once, and I want them to be right.

56FG, if you decide you like Paul Bond's style of boot & you're only going to order a custom (made to measure) pair one time in your life then the measuring instructions they send you in the mail will do you just fine. After you take your measurements as requested they will make a fitter boot they will send you to try on before making your pair of boots. If you anticipated buying several pair from them over the next few yrs then I would recommend making the trip for them to measure you, pick out hides, colors, etc.

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
They're others here that may offer more insight. I think you may need to offer more info in to what you're looking for.

Problem is I'm so new to this, I don't know exactly what I'm looking for. I've been wearing my Ariats and going to work. They fit without hurting once they break in and hold the stirrups and the ground okay enough. Some days we ride all day, some days we're running (or more often repairing) hay equipment or fencing. As I'm sure y'all know, calving and branding time is a mix of horseback, ground work, dry paddocks and standing in an unknown mixture of slop. When we're fencing and haying, I can grab an old pair of Ariats for ground work. When you're on and off multiple times a day calving, doctoring or branding, it's not realistic to pack a second pair of boots to change into every time. My Ariats fit well enough, probably because I don't know any better. They've held up for probably 3-4 years now, but the rubber soles are coming off, heels are worn and stitching is torn. The leather is torn across the top of one of the hard toes, but they're still hanging in there. I'm in a good place to spend somewhere between $500-800 on a pair now, more than I ever thought I'd spend for shoes but worth it if they can make that much of a difference. It's a situation where I really don't know how much I don't know. If I can provide more useful info, just let me know what questions I need to be asking or answering.

56FG, if you decide you like Paul Bond's style of boot & you're only going to order a custom (made to measure) pair one time in your life then the measuring instructions they send you in the mail will do you just fine. After you take your measurements as requested they will make a fitter boot they will send you to try on before making your pair of boots. If you anticipated buying several pair from them over the next few yrs then I would recommend making the trip for them to measure you, pick out hides, colors, etc.

I've been stretching my $200 boots for 2-3 years a pair, so spending several times that amount is something that I need to last for a long time. A good pair of boots should be repairable though, which will extend the life. I don't think I can buy a custom pair new more than once a decade. Heck the boot budget would go a long way toward a custom saddle, and I know what I want in that. My current saddle (don't tell the horse, but it's a production too :lol:) has a lot of life left in it though, and my boots don't.

56FG, I think you are going about it the right way; learn first, buy later.

If you are wanting a tough but comfortable working cowboy boot most true cowboy boots in that category are going to have 16" tops & 2-1/4" heels. Only you can decide how those would work for you "on uneven ground". Cowboy boots in that category are generally called buckaroos, so you might begin your search there. Paul Bond keeps two versions in waxed calf made on standard lasts in stock. Olathe Boot still makes a version & even though they are not the boot they once were, they would still be better than your Ariats.

Paul Bond working Buckaroo
v6ndhh.jpg

Olathe Buckaroo
2v9807m.jpg

Another option should you want shorter tops & lower heels would be a Packer style working cowboy boot. Typical of this style of boots they have good arch support, 10" tops & 1-5/8 or 2" heels. As far as I know they are only made on standard size lasts & the best boots are made by White's or Drew's. These may be the best compromise for working on & off the horse. Packers are supposed to be the best choice when working on uneven ground. The pair pictured below happen to be elephant made by Drew's, so they should last forever.

Drew's Packer Cowboy boot
14312mu.jpg

Hope this helps a bit.

56FordGuy

One of the Regulars
Jack, Bama thank you both very much. Im learning quite a bit, up until this thread I didn't even know boots were assembled with wooden pegs. I thought it was all stitching and nails.

I've got a pair of insulated pack boots for winter, bought them a while ago from a place called Schnees in Montana.

I really like some of the stuff on the Wilson boot website, may end up going with them.

56FG, here is a pic from the sole of a pair of Ray Jones boots I own. Jones always used three rows of lemonwood pegs when he attached the sole, where most makers are satisfied with two. I counted up the pegs on just one side of the arch and my eyes gave out at around fifty. Understand that this pegging goes all the way around the heel area.
CIMG1360.JPG
CIMG1361.JPG

Wells

Familiar Face
I'm looking into getting a pair of Cowboy boots, but am unsure as to what style of jeans work/look best with these boots? I like fitted pants and would like for the jeans to come over the boot. Would I go with a boot cut or a straight leg?
Thanks, chaps!

I'm looking into getting a pair of Cowboy boots, but am unsure as to what style of jeans work/look best with these boots? I like fitted pants and would like for the jeans to come over the boot. Would I go with a boot cut or a straight leg?
Thanks, chaps!

Wells, I prefer a straight leg jean. Wranglers makes some pretty good jeans at a decent price point. I stay away from boot cuts as they all look a little too much like bell bottoms. Most of the jeans I wear are Cinch. They offer a lot of different fits and the ones I wear are 9" across at the leg opening, just right for boots.

Wells

Familiar Face
Wells, I prefer a straight leg jean. Wranglers makes some pretty good jeans at a decent price point. I stay away from boot cuts as they all look a little too much like bell bottoms. Most of the jeans I wear are Cinch. They offer a lot of different fits and the ones I wear are 9" across at the leg opening, just right for boots.

Thanks, mate. I appreciate the feedback. I wish to avoid the bell bottom look at all costs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21