Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy Hat Collection

Hi all, my father recently passed away leaving a large western movie cowboy hat collection: everything from Augustus (Lonesome Dove - and several other characters) to Pale Rider, Conagher, Outlaw Josie, and more. Around 20+ hats that range from 7X to 50X. I’m wondering if there is a market for these items and if anyone could point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Unless they are vintage hats (generally pre-1960), your best bet may be eBay. There is a market, yes, but most of us on the Lounge look for the vintage felts.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Unless they are vintage hats (generally pre-1960), your best bet may be eBay. There is a market, yes, but most of us on the Lounge look for the vintage felts.
That's true that most prefer vintage felts, definitely. But, I'd personally like to see pictures of what she has. The more recent vintage Resistols and Stetsons certainly don't qualify as pre 60's vintage but there's Loungers here that still like them. Hopefully what she has is fur felt.

Hi all, my father recently passed away leaving a large western movie cowboy hat collection: everything from Augustus (Lonesome Dove - and several other characters) to Pale Rider, Conagher, Outlaw Josie, and more. Around 20+ hats that range from 7X to 50X. I’m wondering if there is a market for these items and if anyone could point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help.

I’m sorry for your loss. I know it can be difficult dealing with disposing of a parent’s possessions.

Yes, there is definitely a market. The age, style, color, felt type, condition, size, and several other variables all contribute to their desirability. Ebay is the biggest market, but there are lots of pitfalls there too. If you list them with accurate and detailed descriptions and photos you should get fair prices for them. Value is all over, but there is a market for just about any hat.

Good luck.

I’m sorry for your loss. I know it can be difficult dealing with disposing of a parent’s possessions.

Yes, there is definitely a market. The age, style, color, felt type, condition, size, and several other variables all contribute to their desirability. Ebay is the biggest market, but there are lots of pitfalls there too. If you list them with accurate and detailed descriptions and photos you should get fair prices for them. Value is all over, but there is a market for just about any hat.

Good luck.
Perhaps someone from the Lounge could step forward and help her with valuations of a few of the hats to get her started? I would volunteer but my knowledge of the western market is too limited to be of any real value.

All of us are potential buyers too, so that must me taken into account. Additionally, The Fedora Lounge members are more fine tuned in the market but we still regularly see hats that sell at shocking prices: both low and high. It’s a crapshoot sometimes.

If Miss Lisa were to post photos and descriptions here I’m sure the good denizens of The Lounge would give their estimates.

Thanks so much, everyone. I truly appreciate the kind words and help. I’m sorting through all of the hats now and will post pictures soon. I’ve reached out to the hat makers identified in the hats, and they’ve told me that they range from $300-$600. My dad never really wore them, but he displayed them. There is even a custom hat rack with the names of each character engraved to identify each and a photo of the movie hat/actor inside each hat. I’ll be sure to get pictures and post what I know. Would love to work with someone on pricing who would give them a good home and appreciate them like my dad did. They meant a lot to my dad and I want to respect that. Thanks again. Very, very appreciative.

Thanks so much, everyone. I truly appreciate the kind words and help. I’m sorting through all of the hats now and will post pictures soon. I’ve reached out to the hat makers identified in the hats, and they’ve told me that they range from $300-$600. My dad never really wore them, but he displayed them. There is even a custom hat rack with the names of each character engraved to identify each and a photo of the movie hat/actor inside each hat. I’ll be sure to get pictures and post what I know. Would love to work with someone on pricing who would give them a good home and appreciate them like my dad did. They meant a lot to my dad and I want to respect that. Thanks again. Very, very appreciative.
Your situation brings it close to home for me.....as a collector with a few different collections that when I die likely my poor wife will have to wade through it and decide on some means of disposal that would return at least some of the value. It would be good for me to dispose of it first but then it is MY collection and like a sophie's choice.....which ones go, which ones stay?

Understand that prices don’t always go up on expensive hats. A nice custom hat that you pay $400 for will likely have a hard time finding a buyer at $250. Inflation notwithstanding, most hats, customs and otherwise, depreciate. Just be prepared for the possibility that the market value of the hats Might not be close to what they originally cost.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Lisa:
Sincere condolences during this mournful time losing you Dad.
Of course there is a market for his collection. I can hear some teeth nashing already.
You absolutely could put them on eBay and each would go to some unknow somewhere. You may or may not make a few extra dollars that way.
Or you could offer them to Lounge members knowing each of Dad’s precious hats are with others who will appreciate them as did he. You may or may not make a few extra dollars that way.
Take your time. Once they are gone, they are gone.
Again, condolences on your loss.
Bowen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto