Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cowboy hats losing their cool?

C.M. Albrecht

New in Town
I'm not a cowboy, although I've spent my time with horses in the past. I like them and they like me. And one day at a flea market, I came across an old Stetson Western hat. Nominally black, it was so dusty and dingy I really hesitated at paying $20 for it. But I took it home, carefully washed it with a damp cloth and when dry, I brushed it for a long time. I sort of reblocked it, so it has a flat top and a nice wide brim. It has that traditional lining with a cowpoke giving his horsie water from his hat, and says XXXX Beaver (although I understand that doesn't always mean a lot). It had one short slightly cracked place on the brim, and from what I've heard about our friend, the beaver, I wet it well and then brushed it front and back and all around. It worked! Everything tightened up and the crack disappeared. Once every week or so I put on jeans, and don my Stetson and feel pretty darn good when we go out to lunch. As to singers, I personally hate those shiny leather or plastic cowboy hats, but otherwise, I guess they can wear whatever suits. Seems like Mr. Cash didn't even need a hat to do his stuff.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
As to singers, I personally hate those shiny leather or plastic cowboy hats, but otherwise, I guess they can wear whatever suits. Seems like Mr. Cash didn't even need a hat to do his stuff.
They wear mostly straw (probably shanthung) hats painted in black (the "shine" comes from the paint).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112