Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cracked/Torn Capeskin

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I was foolishly pulling on my A-1 trying to stretch it to conform to my recent growth spurt and I heard a loud crack. [emoji33]
52cd262d7d2d88b2abee0afcbefd0baf.jpg

Treated it with Pecard which darkened the leather quite a bit.
Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamma68

One Too Many
I haven't had that experience with my capeskin jacket. I wouldn't expect it to rip like that. Perhaps the hide was very dry? Losses of natural oils led to the cracking when pulled?

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Well it is all a learning process for me still. This leather is definitely not FQHH and is very light weight. I still like it with this imperfection, I just hope it doesn't further deteriorate. Have to wait and see I guess.

I was foolishly pulling on my A-1 trying to stretch it to conform to my recent growth spurt and I heard a loud crack. [emoji33]
52cd262d7d2d88b2abee0afcbefd0baf.jpg

Treated it with Pecard which darkened the leather quite a bit.
Any advice?

Sorry to hear that. Nightmare stuff. Sadly, not much you can do. Fill up the cracks with glue, Barge Cement should do just fine, and dye it over. That'll at least cover the cracks.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, it is a small surface crack in between the button hole and the top of the pocket flap.
19cf8216c22e0f36f04a428a6992cade.jpg

I suppose could just call it patina.
:)

Thuggee

Practically Family
Out of interest what jacket maker is the A1 I guess not all cape skin is the same?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Hey Jonesy - sorry to hear that, but this kind of leather does risk tearing if it is stretched - it is a hide with little tensile strength. There are kits to repair this kind of hide (a more refined version of Monitor's barge cement idea) but if you have put on some Pecards - a greasy substance - you will struggle to get any adhesive to stick to it. Capeskin isn't fragile as such but it is simply no where near as strong as the other leathers we see here.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I was just a little worried that it might get worse. The jacket soaked up the Pecards, and I actually like the resulting darker shade. The inside of the button holes has a double layer of leather or backing so I suppose this reinforces and strengthens that area.
188094fe79bbe9889719ffa4da7c9439.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sorry to hear this. My GW capeskin A1 has not done this yet. If it did, I'd be tempted to sew up the crack.
Seems odd. I wonder if there is some hardening of the leather? Do you make sure the jacket has good air flow around it
when you aren't wearing it?

Regarding the Pecard's, did the shine come back to the capeskin? Did the leather eventually lighten back up?

Good luck with this!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Argh, sorry to hear that Jonesy, after your recent issues with the mould spores.
I’ve had more capeskin jackets than any other type of hide and, while it’s reasonably resilient and elastic, once it opens up the tears strength is poor and the hide delaminates.
The tear looks clean so you might able to patch it from the back (I wouldn’t patch from the front), older jackets that I’ve had were typically stitched to repair them and a good tailor should be able to do this cleanly.
Good luck!

s4rmark

One of the Regulars
One of the arms on my ELC roughwear 27752 developed surface cracks after it got a thorough drenching at the war and peace show a couple of years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk