Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crazes of the Era

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
"Bumper Surfing?"
BumperSurfing.jpg

"Do you like Bathing Beauties?"

"I don't know, I've never bathed one!"

Looks like up196 wins the prize! Not quite enough detail in the posting for my limited computer skills to pull enough detail and identify the car. I had looked at some sources trying to follow what clues I could, but found nothing. On up196's suggestion, I googled 1923 Peerless, found the picture, and traced it back to Shorpy. With a high detail, very large size, photo to look at, I was able to see enough detail to determine that it does indeed appear to be a Peerless, and 1923 also appears to be correct.
I knew that it was not anything from General Motors, although there are considerable similarities to Cadillac of that time.

Up196, I don't know what your prize is? Maybe you don't have to hear me try to play the ukulele? Nice car in your picture! Yours?
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
With the whole King Tut's Tomb fiasco in 1922 (or was it 24?) making the headlines back then, I can well-imagine that a huge thing for all things Egypt suddenly became very popular.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Which led to a brief vogue for a dance called the "Egyptian Shimmy." More significant was its architectural influence -- a lot of buildings constructed during 1922-24 had Egyptian-influenced details. Our theatre, built over the winter of 1922-23, has inlaid tile ornamentation on the facade which was intended to represent Egyptian anhk symbols -- a gratutious bit of decoration, since there's nothing else particularly Egyptian about the place, but it was in tune with the moment.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
this craze only lasted a month

but nevertheless...it was a craze while it lasted

In the summer of 1927 a new fashion craze swept the nation. Called the "Lucky Lindy Lid," it was a ladies' felt hat that came in a variety of sizes and colors. Adorned with a small propellor on the front and two miniature wings darting out on each side, it may have looked a bit ridiculous, but it celebrated an important moment in aviation history — Charles Lindbergh's flight across the Atlantic.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I think people forget just how big Lindbergh was! I remember seeing an old news real, the camera was on a truck and pointed up the side streets during his NY ticker tape parade, the people were backed up those streets as far as the eye could see! Don't forget the Lindy! [video=youtube;ahoJReiCaPk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahoJReiCaPk[/video]

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Lindbergh made quite a name for himself later on as an isolationist, if I recall rightly. He used his fame, as an aviator and as a man who'd lost a son and been in the papers on and off for years, to campaign for the United States to stay out of WWII.

Of course, then December 7th happened. And overnight his reputation went down the drain. Nobody wanted to listen to somebody who advocated not fighting back against aggressors who would conduct a sneak-attack on a peactime naval base.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lindy -- dubbed by Walter Winchell as "The Lone Ostrich" and "Herr von Lindbergh" -- really crossed the line with a series of radio speeches in 1939-40 in which he described the war as a battle for "the survival of the white race," and suggested that "Jewish forces" were conspiring to drive America into the conflict. His wife was on board with this as well, writing a book in 1940 called "The Wave of the Future," in which she suggested that European-style fascism was in fact that coming wave, and America should best prepare for it.

Lindbergh's final downfall came with a speech to an America First rally in 1941 which even his supporters considered baldly anti-Semitic. America First had already lost most of its credibility by that point, but the Lindbergh speech, which he gave against the advice of everyone from his wife on down, was the end of the line for his own credibility.

To the end of his life, Lindbergh never publicly repudiated any of his pre-war comments, and privately insisted that he had been right in every one of them.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Lindy -- dubbed by Walter Winchell as "The Lone Ostrich" and "Herr von Lindbergh" -- really crossed the line with a series of radio speeches in 1939-40 in which he described the war as a battle for "the survival of the white race," and suggested that "Jewish forces" were conspiring to drive America into the conflict. His wife was on board with this as well, writing a book in 1940 called "The Wave of the Future," in which she suggested that European-style fascism was in fact that coming wave, and America should best prepare for it.

Lindbergh's final downfall came with a speech to an America First rally in 1941 which even his supporters considered baldly anti-Semitic. America First had already lost most of its credibility by that point, but the Lindbergh speech, which he gave against the advice of everyone from his wife on down, was the end of the line for his own credibility.

To the end of his life, Lindbergh never publicly repudiated any of his pre-war comments, and privately insisted that he had been right in every one of them.

Did Walter Winchell call him "The Lone Ostrich" ?? ????? OMG Lizzie that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time!!!!:roll::roll::roll:

I simply love it!!! :D:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner