Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Creed of the more mature lady....

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Male perspective

OK, here's a red blooded male perspective. A woman is just arriving at her prime at 35, and as far as I'm concerned 50 and up is still va va voom territory. Brava, ladies. That's the proper attitude!
:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Flitcraft

One Too Many
OK, here's a red blooded male perspective. A woman is just arriving at her prime at 35, and as far as I'm concerned 50 and up is still va va voom territory. Brava, ladies. That's the proper attitude!

Amen, Brother!:)

Tux Toledo

One of the Regulars
OK, I'm violating the no peeking rule, too. However, I came into the Power Room looking for something that would help me devise a clue I need for a mystery story I'm writing and I found the title of this thread interesting.

I say you girls got it right. Don't let anyone stand in the way of being you. Each of you brings your own special magic into the world and may it never be diminished.

Ciao Carissimi.
Tux

Mojito

One Too Many
I loved this quote about Ziegfeld Follies girl Catherine May Moylan:

After retirement, Moylan became reclusive. She died in 1969, a pair of high-heeled slippers beside her bed. Her granddaughter, Sally Elizabeth Cerciello, remembered Moylan: "I will never forget the cigarette holder by her bed. She always wore high heels, and then there was always that heavy smell of lilac. 'Beauty queens never wear a pair of flat shoes' - that was grandma."
There's something so lusciously luxuriant about that phrase - and that's what I aim for (just not the reclusiveness!). I'm never going to give up my love of lovely fabrics, jewelry, makeup and luxury. Although I may sometimes forego the high heels!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
TessTrueheart said:
I turn 36 in august, but I've been at least 70 for years and years...
I'm way too demure, I need to spice things up! [/COLOR]

I love and relate to this quote! All your vows are good ones TTH!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Lulu-in-Ny said:
I will rest well in the knowledge that nothing I wear could be less age-appropriate than what I see a large majority of women walking around in.
:eusa_clap

I must remember this one. I have a pattern for a jumper and soon a pinafore dress. I am going to make them both and wear them without shame (unless I do a lousy job of sewing of course.)
I will start wearing bold jewelry.
I may start wearing bows too. I love them.
Thanks to the lovely ladies of the lounge I have embraced wearing red lipstick.

The Shirt

Practically Family
What she said.

I am so glad this was posted. I was just musing about this topic this weekend. I sometimes fret that I will not be taken seriously at work because I fear people will think I am playing dress-up. But I concluded there are vintage looks that are age appropriate and there are things that just make you feel good wearing them. I may tweak them a bit as I age like dropping those hems and lowering those heels.

I really appreciate Idledame's observations about complacency and Kamikat's rage against the soccer mom styling. ;) It's not that I need to be the center of attention in every room, but I simply don't want to be wallpaper either. I love my vintage look for always allowing me to stand out.

I will never be beige.

MissHannah

One Too Many
I applaud this thread on my feet! I just turned 35 and it's awesome!

I will keep dyeing my hair any colour I fancy.
I will wear my high-waisted jeans and pants without fear of looking mumsy.
I will remember that 'older' does NOT equal 'uglier' just as 'younger' does not automatically equal 'prettier' - the 2 things aren't necessarily related.
I will stop using negative words to describe myself.
I will enjoy my style - it's only fashion for flip's sake!

D

Deleted member 3716

ladies, is 35 really all that "mature"?
i have three years to go and i certainly dont think if myself as a "more mature lady"...

maybe i should start :eek:

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
paula said:
ladies, is 35 really all that "mature"?
i have three years to go and i certainly dont think if myself as a "more mature lady"...

maybe i should start :eek:
I'm 33 and I'm not mentally mature, which is why I am going to dress how I feel.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
I'm turning 35 this spring :D

My vows are:

--To wear more jewelry (not just collect it)
--To sew more of my wardrobe, rather than buying everything off the rack, because "style" and "fashion" aren't the same thing
--To enjoy my mid-thirties onward, and not worry about the fact that I'm not 25 anymore (and I wouldn't relive that part of my life for all the tea in China)
--To remember there are more than enough ways to dress stylishly without being wallpaper, and to stop fretting about it
--And if I get REALLY brave, to wear more hats

Mojito, thank you SO much for posting that quote

epr25

Practically Family
I am turning 30 (gulp) in May. I love this. I worry about turning into a hag (vane I know) But there are so many of you vintage ladies on here that are wonderful at all ages. I have renewed hope. I just have to keep my weight under wraps. I have way to many clothes to outgrown them!

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Oh this is just fantastic, I was worried that my thread would just get ignored and I was on my own little neurotic island!
Wonderful stuff, all of your posts are terrific and have mirrored soooo many of my own thoughts and fears. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Isn't it a hoot that we've all been sitting at home worrying about the same kind of stuff and that there are so many of us!lol
Great! I feel so inspired by this, thanks ladies!

Caledonia

Practically Family
Found another one today. Mid forties brings a few achey niggles. So logged onto ebay and found an art deco copper bracelet. Copper works, I was just so bored with plain old modern things. Actually I have no idea if it's genuine or not, not a jewellery expert, so just going on trust. But that's another thread - it looks Deco. :)

So - work that Golden Era vintage into those corners you never thought of!

You're right Eve, this thread is so inspiring :) Keep it up ladies. We will all live gorgeously, elegantly, and as ourselves!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Wow! I am just 33, but I've had some of these same worries. Lately I've been worried about looking too "Junior Miss". You've inspired me to make a few vows too!

• I will wear my hair long for as long as I wish. If I cut it, it will be because I want to, not because I "should".
  • I will wear bows, and flowers in my hair when I feel like it.
  • Color is not just for the young. I will wear bright colors and baby pink.
  • When I get around to making that pinafore, I will wear it.

And do wear hats, I get lots of comments and compliments on mine!! :D

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
I don't know if this is good or not

I, like my grandmother before me, will be buried with Auburn hair. Even if I'm 90. It never crossed my mind not too. I went taupe-ish at 24 for goodness sakes.

I never gave a rip about what any poorly dressed shlub thought of me when I was 20, I'm not about to now.

Then, as now, gravitate to all things shiny and glittery. Diamonds and Satin work for me (or rinestones and acetate as the case may be).

Does this mean I am blissfully ignorant of "age appropriate" dressing, or set in my ways?

And do I really care?:p More perfume and young men, please.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland