Crochet Crowned Panama?

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Rick Blaine, May 2, 2010.

1. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

[​IMG]

Many retailers... one basic type, loose, air permeable crochet crown w/ traditional Brisa brim. Whatta ya'll think? Bob, Art any of the pros? The crown looks not unlike the Peter Bros. Indys' crown, tho' lower. Anyone own one that wants to weigh in?

2. Panamabob

Panamabob Call Me a Cab

Yes, crochet is one of the 20 or so weaves that you can get out of Cuenca. We haven't had much luck with them, but haven't really given them the ol' college try either. This year, we've brought up some torcidos (twisted paja, brisa weave) in natural, but haven't had much luck so far. They seem to sell well in Texas, NM, Arizona, though.

3. Rick Blaine

Rick Blaine My Mail is Forwarded Here

Do you think the crochet is 'breezier" for lack a of a better term or should I get a Caldo like the lovely 7 1/2 you had end last night that I guess I should've pulled the trigger on... :eek:fftopic: however, as the IRS are our new Proctologists (...no buts about it! ;) ) & so on ... but what's the most air permeable crown available, in yr. estimation? I d@mn near can't stand headwear once'd it's past eighty, and I would like to be able to be hatted.

4. CRH

CRH Call Me a Cab

Looks like you are on a search for a Holy Grail, Mr. Blaine. Would you settle for my humble estimation?

I've had two bouts of basal cell carcinoma so I put a lid on even if it's only stepping out for one minute to call the pets in. You are on the right track with the Calados, I think. It appears that many variations are available and Mr. Weber can help you out with this.

Here's the most comfortable, as in breezy, hat I own once the temps get sweltering, an Omish straw. It's built like a tank. The whole thing is reinforced with cotton/nylon thread. Not the most stylish example around but I live about two or three hours by buggy from The Country Store where they have stacks of these and similar so folks around here don't even flinch when they see one.

[​IMG]

Cloth sweat... I really like a cloth sweat for summer. The above lid has a light weight cordura sweat band and the whole thing can be cleaned with a little soapy water and a hose.

A Panama brisa with a cloth sweat works pretty good too - which also can be cleaned with soapy water and a hose - but you'll have to torture me to get me to admit that I ever said that.

5. Tomasso

Tomasso Incurably Addicted

I wonder if anybody is making something like this today:

[​IMG]

6. Panamabob

Panamabob Call Me a Cab

Yes, they are...very similar...I'll try to get a photo from Cuenca to post.

7. zetwal

zetwal I'll Lock Up

Interesting hat there, CRH. And yours is wonderful Tomasso. I have a couple permeables myself. They are good for really hot weather.

Here's another ... also nicely aged ... ;)

[​IMG]

8. CRH

CRH Call Me a Cab

Golden Oldie! :eusa_clap

9. jporgeck

jporgeck Familiar Face

Wow:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap