Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crofut & Knapp TWENTY - Gay Prince Style, 7 3/8

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I've been on the fence with this hat, both in style and my desire to keep it. There are so many things that make this hat attractive, but I just can't seem to sell myself on the whip-stitch. [huh]

This is a chocolate brown Crofut & Knapp TWENTY, Gay Prince style fedora. Size 7 3/8. I received this on a trade with another lounger; he was incredibly kind and patient. However, the whip-stitch is definitely interesting and definitely a preferred taste; just not sure it's for me. When we agreed on the trade, I figured I would re-block it down to fit (it's too big), remove the stitches, remove the hat band, and make it more like a traditional fedora with a grosgrain ribbon and possibly a bound edge. I don't feel it would do any justice to completely change this hat. So, I'd like to offer this up to someone that will appreciate it more than I will.

ASKING -- $185.00 -- SHIPPED (conus).

891D89F1.jpg

The hand is incredibly soft with a suede-like feel and finish. The felt is a very high quality, and it holds a crease very well. Pop it out to open crown while dry and it will go back to the crease and pinch with ease. The sweatband is in great condition; thick leather and pliable. Only the liner shows signs of typical wear. And even that can probably be cleaned up. I checked out the history of this hat; it was originally retailed from a store in San Francisco owned by Paul T. Carroll, a very well known hat merchant during his time. Here is a brief biography about him:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~npmelton/sfbcarr3.htm

34ECA158.jpg

96FD8600.jpg

E8D55C36.jpg

7B918790.jpg

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Yes, please find this hat an owner which will appreciate it, and do not modify it. I'm not one to stand on the past for the sake of the past, but the Gay Prince style is rare, and difficult if not impossible to be reproduced in modern hats, having the felted band.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana