Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crosley Reproduction Radio Help

camtechman

New in Town
Hi All,

I'm in Great Britain, UK and this is my first visit & first post.

I came across this site whilst Googling for a specific Crosley Reproduction Radio and your site seems to be the only one I found that has posts and discussions on the maker.

Anyhow, I recently acquired a modern 240V/AC (GB/UK) powered reproduction of a Crosley Radio, a 1950's type: 10-130 series but unfortunately, as this is my first post, I'm not allowed to upload any pictures yet.

The case (modern plastic), dial & knobs are pretty faithfull to an original 1950's Crosley. However, inside is a basic AM/FM transistor radio, run from a 240V/AC mains TX and simple power supply, although the original 10-130 series were only AM & 115V/AC/DC & with a Bakelite case.

It has the look of a Steepletone type make and doesn't seem to be a geniune Crosley reproduction.

Just as an aside, the case is milky coffee colour but seems to have been partially resprayed, as the bottom still reveals it's original light blue colour (which the inserts in the knobs and dial lettering are).

At first I thought the coffee colour was in fact nicotine staining but it's not, as the finish/gloss is excellent and it's almost certainly been professionally resprayed or is a manufacturers test sample.

I wonder if anyone has ever come across a modern reproduction of this model and would like to ponder a guess at the reason for the 'respray'?

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
Hi, If you have some form of a web picture hosting address or personal web space you could put the picture up there and just type the address into a post. Then anybody who happens to be interested could look it up. I have done a little with these Crosley reproduction radios. If I saw which one it is I might be able to tell you a little about it. I am mainly a restorer of actuall vintage radios but have done a little with these too.

camtechman

New in Town
Pictures Of Crosley Reproduction

Hope this works.

FRONT VIEW:
Crosley10-139Repro.jpg

REAR VIEW:
Crosley10-13XReproBack.jpg

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
This one reminds me of the model they call a dashboard radio because it reminds people of an automobile dash board. After doing a little looking I find that you're right it is a repop of an actual Crosley radio they made in 1950. It seems to be pretty accurate in appearance. You're right about the model no. 10-130. The Crosley radio label on the front is accurate as to the current company logo so there's no reason to doubt that it is a genuine Crosley. I've never encountered this one in person but it seems to be a fairly recent one. It doesn't seem to be in production now though. As to the color these originally were available in different colors. Someone may have just wanted it to match their decor. Back in the '50's with the original bakelite ones were just painted in whatever colors they offered them in. So it being painted is not a far stretch from what was done back in the day.
That's about as much as I can offer.

camtechman

New in Town
Thank you for the info and for taking the time.

Even though the radio chassis is only a basic Hong Kong made AM/FM unit, it sounds quiet good, I suppose having a sizable case helps with the tone of the sound.

Another benefit is that the basic radio chassis, because of the way the tuning assembly is constructed - a long tuning cord & mech, it makes the tuning very fine and over a large radius. Usually this type of Hong Kong chassis is found in pocket radios with a directly fitted tuning knob that doesn't give such fine tuning.

Even though it's just a repro, I'm very pleased with the overall result, which can't be said of a recent Chinese repro of a Classic British transistor radio: Bush TR82, this model is one of the most recognised British radios of the 50/60's, often used in modern TV progammes about the 1950s.

The repro, although at quick glance looks good, it's mechanical & radio quality is nothing like the original.

Here's the Bush TR82 (Original First/Copy Second):

BushTR82C.jpg

BushTR8297.jpg

Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24