Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cross zip nation

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Every remake is essentially “New Coke”. It might taste good at first. But it isn’t the real deal. I just tied a bow on this post.
That’s too harsh man! I was nine years old when New Coke hit the scene and even at that tender young age I knew that we had been duped. I don’t think I touched the stuff after the first can and if they haven’t come out with Coca Cola Classic they would’ve lost me forever.
I hear what you’re saying about remakes but for many of us they are as close as we will ever get to the jacket we want, be it for size reasons or just because of something being too rare in any size.

That’s too harsh man! I was nine years old when New Coke hit the scene and even at that tender young age I knew that we had been duped. I don’t think I touched the stuff after the first can and if they haven’t come out with Coca Cola Classic they would’ve lost me forever.
I hear what you’re saying about remakes but for many of us they are as close as we will ever get to the jacket we want, be it for size reasons or just because of something being too rare in any size.
LOL. I had a new coke t shirt in 6th grade! LOL. And of course that was a non sensical statement on my part. I’ve gone down both roads and both are really rewarding in their own way. It’s just my own thing lately. Like returning to my original roots in this hobby. I started with vintage, went to repro and now appreciate vintage even more. Circle of life I guess. Somehow I can’t make peace with both in synchronicity. Which is a bit of a shame I think. For better or worse, I’m far too all or nothing.

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
One of these was for sale in the classifieds not long ago. I saved the pics. a ridiculously cool jacket. Almost painful to look at because it’s so damn beautiful.
View attachment 251335 View attachment 251336 View attachment 251337

straight from the 1948 Sears catalog. I did not see this in the classified, Do you recall the label? Older 40s or newer 50s? Looks like a robust jacket.

The size was too small. It’s a genuine grail though. Remakes will never match it. That’s the thing. Every remake is essentially “New Coke”. It might taste good at first. But it isn’t the real deal. I just tied a bow on this post.

Nothing quite like an original if you can find one. That was quite a find for someone. Seldom seen Sears jackets have been popping up.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
As always T, you are very generous with your vast knowledge. Thank you. I wonder how the suede compared to the Capeskin in thickness and weight?

Vintage Capeskin is very delicate. One reason you see so few in any condition. Cape was heavily used by all makers/sellers during the 30s. Many jackets styles were only available in Cape.

Suede was also very popular in the 30s and early 40s. Catalogs show multiple models available. Suede diminishes in the later 40s.

I have several examples of Cape and Suede Vintage jackets, but haven't even handled newer materials.

Ken Caulder did say he was in search of Goat suede as used on the older jackets when he was making his Majestic. I don't know which is which.

I do have a Horsehide suede Windward.

straight from the 1948 Sears catalog. I did not see this in the classified, Do you recall the label? Older 40s or newer 50s? Looks like a robust jacket.

Nothing quite like an original if you can find one. That was quite a find for someone. Seldom seen Sears jackets have been popping up.
I don’t recall the label and didn’t get a pic of it. I think that jacket was a size 38” or 40”. The measurements were too small for me to convince myself otherwise. Believe me, I tried. Really hard. LOL. Yeah I dunno what it is of late with me and true vintage. When I was younger I didn’t appreciate it as much. Always looking for something to improve upon or what have you. Lately I just want to bring all that history into my wardrobe. More appreciation for the past. Just feels more special. I’m not a purist. I will wear a 40’s/50’s/60’s/70’s jacket with a cubs or bears jersey underneath.
I wonder if sentimentality (often times for eras that pre date my birth!) is slipping in b/c I am getting older and appreciate sustainability and history a bit more. I can’t say for sure but it’s definitely guiding my interests of late. In my own life I’m watching time pass at warp speed and maybe this hobby is giving me a chance to slow that down. In a strange way.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Capeskin is very delicate. One reason you see so few in any condition. Cape was heavily used by all makers/sellers during the 30s. Many jackets styles were only available in Cape.

Suede was also very popular in the 30s and early 40s. Catalogs show multiple models available. Suede diminishes in the later 40s.

I have several examples of Cape and Suede Vintage jackets, but haven't even handled newer materials.

Ken Caulder did say he was in search of Goat suede as used on the older jackets when he was making his Majestic. I don't know which is which.

I do have a Horsehide suede Windward.
Holly is going to send me a sample of the new goat suede used in the Majestic. I like the idea of historic accuracy in considering a cross zip made of suede. I am looking for a lighter jacket and it seems there are less surviving examples for repro makers to reference. I think the Majestic looks great, no word back yet on them doing a Hooch Hauler out of the same leather.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
crosszip-biker02navetsea.jpg

haaahh.. just daydreaming, maybe 2021. my current jacket is just 2 months old and needs lots of wearing. but i just post it here to keep the dream alive,

not sure about color yet, but I think of contrasting zipper tape, most are exposed, only handwarmers have lips not to scratch up the inside sleeve

BTW if anyone want to try the design to bring to custom jacket maker feel free to use it for personal use.

Last edited:

Pandemic

One Too Many
I'm sort of in the market for a stripped-down brown cross zip in a medium weight.

Slight preference for jackets that unzip to two parallel vertical sides rather than the cutaway waist 'X' if that makes sense (tall, inverted triangle slim, athletic swimmers body - yet the traditional Perfecto still makes me feel like I have a gut sticking out the bottom of an unzipped jacket!).

I just bought a P519 a few months ago which is a great fit and has a lot going for it, but I'm still not sure it's 'the one'. The extra body length without long arms, slim torso fit but decent shoulders works for me. But the color is a bit too copper and the belt, epaulets and coin pocket are a bit much.

I've narrowed down my search to:

* Keep the 519 and embrace the whole One Star vibe.

* Lewis Leathers 402T in brown HH. Not a fan of the shiny silver hardware and the leather doesn't look that nice in the photos I've seen. Good price and full MTO options.

* Vanson Daredevil in Whidbey brown cowhide. Lots of MTO fit options. Might end-up a lot more pricey depending on how much I tweak the fit.

* I've also emailed Simmons Bilt to see if they would let me modify their classic motorcycle jacket to the specs above (much like their black Standard & Strange model). Body length and sleeves are customizable, but shoulders, chest and waist aren't. Lots of hardware and lining options and lots of different browns to chose from (including several HHs). Price on the website looks really good.

Have I missed anything?

Last edited:

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many
I'm sort of in the market for a stripped-down brown cross zip in a medium weight.

Slight preference for jackets that unzip to two parallel vertical sides rather than the cutaway waist 'X' if that makes sense (tall, inverted triangle slim, athletic swimmers body - yet the traditional Perfecto still makes me feel like I have a gut sticking out the bottom of an unzipped jacket!).

I just bought a P519 a few months ago which is a great fit and has a lot going for it, but I'm still not sure it's 'the one'. The extra body length without long arms, slim torso fit but decent shoulders works for me. But the color is a bit too copper and the belt, epaulets and coin pocket are a bit much.

* Lewis Leathers 402T in brown HH. Not a fan of the shiny silver hardware and the leather doesn't look that nice in the photos I've seen. Good price and full MTO options.

* Vanson Daredevil in Whidbey brown cowhide. Lots of MTO fit options. Might end-up a lot more pricey depending on how much I tweak the fit.

* I've also emailed Simmons Bilt to see if they would let me modify their classic motorcycle jacket to the specs above (much like their black Standard & Strange model). Body length and sleeves are customizable, but shoulders, chest and waist aren't. Lots of hardware and lining options and lots of different browns to chose from (including several HHs). Price on the website looks really good.

Have I missed anything?
20200825_084222.jpg
20200825_200428.jpg
20200825_200535.jpg

J Leather Investigater

One Too Many

Have I missed anything?
Standard and strange double rider in cxl burgundy. Email simmons bilt an tell Deborah you want the s&s double rider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21