Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crumple or Hang?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On hangers or laid flat under the bed which has a lift up mattress storage area under it. If I'm actively wearing a specific jacket and know I'll wear it again the next day I might just throw it on the floor but I'd never leave a relatively heavy jacket "crumpled" long term.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Pretty sure there has been a couple of threads on this subject already.

I've never really hung up my jackets. I either fold them lightly and stick them in a box or drape several of them across the seat of a spare chair.

I have had unwelcome creasing before but only when the jacket was hung up in a cramped wardrobe.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
All of my jackets are on hangers modified with pipe insulation. For my leather jackets, I use both traditional angled suit hangers and wide straight top hangers depending on which works better for each individual jacket.

I am surprised by the number of people who sprawl their jackets throughout their residence. To each his own, but I would not want to live with jackets cluttering up my home, furniture and/or floors. No criticism -- just personal preference.
And there I was thinking that I was in a minority of one. Jackets, suits, blazers, overcoats even my Aloha shirts live on a hanger inside a dust cover. You will never get damage from the moth grub if you keep your clothes covered.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I hate those things. Even the headless ones scare me.
Actually "that" is the only reason I havent bought one.... it would make me jumpy to see human form in 1:1 scale in the dark

I think if you find yourself with your jackets on the floor permanently stacked on the sofa etc... it is a clear cue that you just have too many in your living habitat, so either thin out the herd or get a bigger house:p:D

Last edited:

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Actually "that" is the only reason I havent bought one.... it would make me jumpy to see human form in 1:1 scale in the dark

I think if you find yourself with your jackets on the floor permanently stacked on the sofa etc... it is a clear cue that you just have too many in your living habitat, so either thin out the herd or get a bigger house:p:D
Spotting the silhouette of my hat rack out of the corner of my eye in the dark already makes me a tad jumpy.

patrick_b

One of the Regulars

I picked one up at a flea market (we call him Otto as it had the initials O.T.O. scribbled on the fabric). It scares the crap out of lots of people when walking through my home office :).

2018-12-20 17.26.12.jpg

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Yea, my mother used to have a full mannequin with wig standing on a corner next to to full height mirror as a kid i never feel easy playing in that room.
But nowadays there are cheap bust and fake skull i really want to put on a skull on a bust cover it with black fabrics over the skull and put on jacket on it make it into a cool reaper :) but that idea usually come s in the morning and dissipates as the sky gets darker.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I hang 'em all up on wooden hangers. During winter I sometimes leave one on the back of a chair for a day to two when I'm wearing jackets constantly, just because I'm too lazy to walk twenty steps out to the back wardrobe and hang it up again knowing I'll want it the next day.

Take care of your things and they will take care of you. I have a militant attitude about putting things back where they belong, hanging up unworn garments, not entering the home with shoes on, making the bed, folding the laundry...I cannot abide with throwing things in a heap on the floor and struggle to make any sense of why someone would. I am not uptight but I like things high and tight, neat and simple. A crumpled up leather jacket thrown on the floor might as well be an empty pizza box full of beer cans and guilty sorrow.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Ton except for "not entering the home with shoes on" I have double doormats plastic and fabric next to each other on every doorway around the house, and I make habit to use them all every time so that I can wear my shoes everywhere around the house.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Aesthetically, possibly...but purposely placing a garment, potentially best served, on the floor of a closet is analogous to finished food containers headed for the garbage and recycling cans? I'm a neatfreak, but those are two very different things. I have no food in this fight. I don't own leather jackets, but I do own camping gear that is best maintained, and cared for, by crumpling and not hanging or folding. I know the drill. Some things are simply the exception to arbitrary rules.

*I do, however, agree about no shoes in the house.

Striver

New in Town
Very interesting and varied attitudes to jacket storage. Thanks All.
My vintage jackets are always given the very best treatment: hung with care in the wardrobe. Other jackets, usually recent, inexpensive, though good quality, motorcycle jackets (bought in charity shops), get the crumpling ...but not untidily: they reside on the floor of the wardrobe. Don't laugh.. but I think they'd rather be crumpled: it suits their personalities. Jackets have personalities? Good grief... I'll be throwing my jackets onto a psychiatrist's couch next!

Last edited:
I just don't get the reasoning of throwing leather jackets on the floor of a closet. Why would anyone want clothes thrown on the floor rather than hung up or at least nicely lain on a chair?

I don't take my shoes off when entering the house or ask visitors to do so. I don't get the motives for doing that either. I will take my shoes off at home if muddy but not if my shoes are free of debris as in normal wear.

I once had a boss, in my short stint of sales work, who was from Egypt. My girl friend and I met at his house for a meeting. He had a very nice home that was decorated in very formal style. We entered through the garage and before we entered the utility room he asked if we would remove our shoes. We said OK. Then he asked if we would please remove our socks. All three of use walked through his house bare foot. My girl friend and I looked at each other as if..what the.... I guess it was some kind of custom.

Yet I've also found it kinda odd that some families walk around their house always in their socks or even ask you to remove your shoes when stopping by. I know some families do this all the time but most don't. Guess I've always been on the no thanks side of the issue.

HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112