Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Review of my 1st THEDI Jacket

jr30

Familiar Face
Hi,

At first I thought it was just "HYPE"...
A few days ago I bought my first Thedi jacket from a local store and I am really impressed!

Each jacket is entirely handcrafted in Greece using the best leathers available on the market. The company is small, employs less than a handful of people and every leather item that leaves that small factory in Thessaloniki (GR) is personally approved by the owner Theodoros. Often it is exclusively his work that you hold in your hands - usually after months.

My horse leather jacket in satin black is no exception. The horse leather has a wonderful feel, comfortable in the hand and is somewhat flexible, but not at the level of a lamb or goat, which is not desirable for this type of jacket. Compared to my stiff Aero Halfbelt made of FQHH and soft Aero Type III made of Vicenza leather, I would place the Thedi's leather in the middle (strength, weight and flexibility).

My model has a cotton lining that makes the jacket suitable for 3 seasons, is equipped with an inside "revolver pocket" with a zip and closes with neatly sewn buttons. On the outside there are 2 patch pockets and leather loops at both sides for adjustment to the hips. On the inside, the armpits are lined with leather (so sweat doesn't get into the inner lining) and have 3 riveted holes for better circulation. A special feature of this model is the shawl collar, which I didn't know from other manufacturers (e.g. Schott, Aero etc). Every seam is a "work of art", the workmanship is on a level that is second to none.

With a height of 5'11 (180cm) and 185 lbs (84kg), I chose the size L (Large), which fits close but is not restrictive. So my jacket is not custom-made, but a product that was in stock at the local dealer.
After just a short time of wearing the leather begins to become a little softer. The jacket is short and the back length, when worn open, reaches the pockets of a pair of jeans. The jacket is slightly longer at the front and reaches the base of the front pockets of the jeans. The sleeves are a touch too long, but the way the arms are angled could cause them to slip to the optimal length over time. If I don't close the two last buttons, the jacket is also suitable for sitting (e.g. in the car).

I'm still working on my weight to make the jacket more comfortable around the waist and hips too and decided against buying the next larger size. Good input came from @Mandarin, who noticed that when I closed the jacket there were no wrinkles or creases, which indicates a right fit.

For me it is still unusual to wear a short and tight-fitting jacket that emphasizes the body. Well, I'm also 50+ and unfortunately don't have the body of an athletic teenager (Smile). My everyday jackets (non-leather) offers more room to move, but perhaps not as chic.

My jacket labeled at size L has following measurements (inches):
- Back length (w/o collar): 24.5
- Sleeve: 26.4
- P2P: 21.5
- Shoulders: 17.8
- Bottom/hem max: 20.25 inches (adjustable)

I find the jacket completely timeless and can be worn for several generations, which puts the high investment into perspective. For me it is not a "fashion item", but a solid leather jacket that simply never goes out of style.

Please excuse my poor ability to express myself in the English language.
Thank you for your attention.

How do you like this model and what do you think about the fit? Please be critical.

Greetings
Roman

Attachments

• IMG_7900.jpeg
    IMG_7900.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 360
  • IMG_7902.jpeg
    IMG_7902.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 301
  • IMG_7903.jpeg
    IMG_7903.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 263
  • IMG_7906.jpeg
    IMG_7906.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 270
  • IMG_7907.jpeg
    IMG_7907.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 272
  • IMG_7919.jpeg
    IMG_7919.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_7918.jpeg
    IMG_7918.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 199
  • IMG_7926.jpeg
    IMG_7926.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 197
  • IMG_7937.jpeg
    IMG_7937.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_7914.jpeg
    IMG_7914.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 169

Mandarin

Practically Family
In all honesty, it looks like it was made to measure. Couldn't fit any better. With time, it will feel more comfortable and form to your body. Don't hesitate to wear it in the rain, it will accelerate the fitting process, as well as the appearence of arm creases.

jr30

Familiar Face
Gentlemen, thank you very much for the positive feedback so far.

I read a lot in this forum, looked at dozens of photos, followed discussions... but in the end I stand in front of the mirror and am extremely insecure...

In my opinion - in front of the mirror - I think that when the jacket is buttoned up I look a bit like a "pressed sausage" and, above all, the back length is very short, maybe too short.

IMG_7900.jpeg IMG_7902.jpeg IMG_7903.jpeg

But perhaps I'm just too impatient because the jacket is brand new and hasn't been broken in yet?

I'm a bit torn... some wearers prefer significantly shorter leather jackets based on historical US models, where the belt is even visible. I don't think this Thedi follows a historical model and so of course I don't want to look "goofy".

That's why I'm turning to the experts in this forum, who have a lot more knowledge than me.
What do you think, I really appreciate your honest opinion? Stay or leave...
Thank you very much!

Roman

Helix

Familiar Face
I think it looks fine. The back hits just where many including myself like it, the seam at the bottom of the yoke. It should look even better over time with more wear.

Madhouse27

One of the Regulars
You look great in that jacket! Wear it out running a few errands so you can start getting comfortable with it on. A beautiful jacket like this will soon become a source of confidence and another good reason to stay in shape. Nice score!

Momein

One of the Regulars
IMO it would not fit any better when made to measure. Everything is spot on. Sleeves could be a tad shorter but this will come with creases anyway. Congratulations to this beautiful jacket, Roman!

sarevook

New in Town
Your jacket already bunches a little bit on the back, if you add some length it won't sit lower, you will just have more material bunched on the back.

jr30

Familiar Face
Thanks for the feedback. It's winter and not really the weather for leather jackets like this. But I wear them around the house for 1 to 2 hours every day until I just get too warm ;) to speed up the 'break-in'.

Here some more pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_8142-1.jpeg
    IMG_8142-1.jpeg
    947.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_8140-1.jpeg
    IMG_8140-1.jpeg
    876.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_8132.jpeg
    IMG_8132.jpeg
    686.1 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_8123-1.jpeg
    IMG_8123-1.jpeg
    778.9 KB · Views: 111

jr30

Familiar Face
Today I took some interior photos of my black Thedi leather jacket.
First jacket unbuttoned

IMG_8411.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8464.jpeg
    IMG_8464.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_8458.jpeg
    IMG_8458.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_8454.jpeg
    IMG_8454.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_8453.jpeg
    IMG_8453.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8449.jpeg
    IMG_8449.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_8446.jpeg
    IMG_8446.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8445.jpeg
    IMG_8445.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_8442.jpeg
    IMG_8442.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_8438.jpeg
    IMG_8438.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
Looks great to my eye. As it softens and relaxes it will look even better. There’s nothing in this fit I would change at all, not a single thing.

Brandrea33

One Too Many
Wow, I think it looks spot on man! It must be awesome to get an off the rack jacket and have it look made to order.

Fit is one thing, and again it looks perfect to my eye.

Maybe what you’re struggling with is “feel”, and honestly that’s a very personal matter that only you can decide.

John Chapman at Good Wear once told me that if you’re working off a good pattern, you should be able to size up one, even two sizes, and the jacket should still look good.

Just passing on his comments to me.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Gentlemen, thank you very much for the positive feedback so far.

I read a lot in this forum, looked at dozens of photos, followed discussions... but in the end I stand in front of the mirror and am extremely insecure...

In my opinion - in front of the mirror - I think that when the jacket is buttoned up I look a bit like a "pressed sausage" and, above all, the back length is very short, maybe too short.

View attachment 580794 View attachment 580795 View attachment 580796

But perhaps I'm just too impatient because the jacket is brand new and hasn't been broken in yet?

I'm a bit torn... some wearers prefer significantly shorter leather jackets based on historical US models, where the belt is even visible. I don't think this Thedi follows a historical model and so of course I don't want to look "goofy".

That's why I'm turning to the experts in this forum, who have a lot more knowledge than me.
What do you think, I really appreciate your honest opinion? Stay or leave...
Thank you very much!

Roman
I think the back is not too short, but contrary the back is a bit too long for this style that's why you get a lot of creases on the back, but the rest of the jacket fits you well, so perhaps just wait until the leather breaks up and relaxes a bit with more wears and perhaps rain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner