Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crush Cap as Daily Wear?

Joe45

New in Town
Howdy!
I have always had a love of The Flying Tigers: the P40, the leather jackets, the crush caps... (yeah I know they wore the leather helmet/cap to fly...)
I have Tales of the Gold Monkey DVD set and still watch it....

I have thought of wearing a khaki crush cap as a daily cap in the summer, as it beats a baseball cap and isn't formal as a fedora.

My idea is to remove the insignia. (In the winter I have thought of the wool brown one, also insignia removed, etc.)

I'm talking wearing it with khaki or brown pants, jeans, etc.

Just wondering if this is something seen as douchy or stupid.

I am restoring a Land Cruiser HJ45 Pickup and it has an old look that may fit.

I sometimes wear an Acubra Territory and love that also. I also like wearing fedoras... but the khaki crush cap just seems to be pretty cool, especially with no insignia.

My style tends to lean to the safari look. Can't think of similar caps that would work.

Opinions welcome!

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Howdy!
I have always had a love of The Flying Tigers: the P40, the leather jackets, the crush caps... (yeah I know they wore the leather helmet/cap to fly...)
I have Tales of the Gold Monkey DVD set and still watch it....

I have thought of wearing a khaki crush cap as a daily cap in the summer, as it beats a baseball cap and isn't formal as a fedora. My idea is to remove the insignia. (In the winter I have thought of the wool brown one, also insignia removed, etc.)
I'm talking wearing it with khaki or brown pants, jeans, etc.
I am restoring a Land Cruiser HJ45 Pickup and it has an old look that may fit.
Just wondering if this is something seen as douchy or stupid.

I sometimes wear an Acubra Territory and love that also. I also like wearing fedoras... but the khaki crush cap just seems to be pretty cool, especially with no insignia.

My style tends to lean to the safari look. Can't think of similar caps that would work.

Opinions welcome!
I have thought the same thing many times, and purchased a few old crushers for this reason. But I just could not get under any of them enough to feel confident wearing them out. It’s a great idea if you can feel confident enough, though.

My other idea was not to wear an original so as not to damage it, but rather a remake, but I never found one that I was satisfied enough with to try. If you run across anyone doing good quality replicas I’d love to hear about to. There was one guy 7 or 8 years ago but he quit before I had the chance to get one.

I love that you even cited Tales of the Gold Monkey - I was also watching that as I was thinking these same thoughts.

(BTW, my best idea for a summer crusher is not a USAAF crusher but a US Navy one with the white cap. I have a nice solid one that fits very well, but again, I lack the confidence.)

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Btw, here is one of my early attempts, lol.
IMG_1502.jpeg

Joe45

New in Town
I have thought the same thing many times, and purchased a few old crushers for this reason. But I just could not get under any of them enough to feel confident wearing them out. It’s a great idea if you can feel confident enough, though.

My other idea was not to wear an original so as not to damage it, but rather a remake, but I never found one that I was satisfied enough with to try. If you run across anyone doing good quality replicas I’d love to hear about to. There was one guy 7 or 8 years ago but he quit before I had the chance to get one.

I love that you even cited Tales of the Gold Monkey - I was also watching that as I was thinking these same thoughts.

(BTW, my best idea for a summer crusher is not a USAAF crusher but a US Navy one with the white cap. I have a nice solid one that fits very well, but again, I lack the confidence.)
I wouldn't wear an original. Was looking at the US Wings crusher cap. They seem to be fine. But perhaps you, or someone else, may know something about that maker which is not optimal.

I figure, since this will not be for reenacting, but just as a cap, the US Wings one may be fine.
Have also looked at the Brando type biker caps.
I will take a look for the navy one, in a reproduction maybe. Perhaps dying the white fabric khaki would be doable. Or if there's a blue one.

I liked the caps and look in the Peter Jackson King Kong movie. Maybe more merchant seaman style? Both caps look great: khaki and a dark brown (?).

So that's kind of the style I am looking for. Seems like not much of a difference between the crush caps and these, especially if intended for non-historically authentic reenacting.

1715879303159.png

1715879358778.png

1715879518155.png
1715879545848.png

Attachments

• 1715879261812.png
    1715879261812.png
    232.5 KB · Views: 11

Joe45

New in Town
Btw, here is one of my early attempts, lol.
View attachment 614409
LOL! There's a sort of Frank Zappa vibe to that photo!

Regarding confidence, yeah, that's the thing-with most headware outside of a baseball cap! People today are so ignorant that a fedora gets you labeled "Indiana Jones". Heck, I have gotten the "Indy" comment wearing a straw fedora with shorts, a Hawaiian shirt, and flip flops.

When I lived in South Florida, it was particularly bad. Not hat related but: I was in shorts etc. and using the reproduction of the Indy satchel. I always like satchels because I write and draw... I walked into a music store and some idiot tells me "Nice purse". Without hesitation, and acting like I appreciated the compliment, I replied: "Thanks! Got it from your mom!"
There was shocked silence as I continued on.

On an Indy note: My dad got me a bullwhip when I was a kid. WAY before Indian Jones was even thought of. It was at a Mexican rodeo at Madison Square Garden in NY (Antonio Aguilar). I thought of Zorro when I got that whip. When Indy came out, I knew how to use it and was ecstatic.

Getting back to confidence and stuff...

I think part of it is avoiding looking like we're wearing a costume.
Example: wearing a fedora with an Indy Jacket, khakis, a khaki satchel, etc. could be a bit pushing it. But maybe set it off with a different shirt, like a nice blue shirt or whatever. Maybe corduroys.

I mean, one of my uncles wore a fedora, leather jacket, brown pants, and a red flannel shirt. I loved that look since I was a kid.

So I think it's about how we carry ourselves, and wearing things that match and, while obviously somewhat vintage, don't look like a costume.

One other thing. If you want to build up confidence, wear a kilt sometimes. I like wearing a kilt. Very comfortable. And women have actually liked it-except for an ex who hated the attention I got.

I saw a guy wearing a kilt with a puffy leather jacket, a leather outback hat, and COWBOY BOOTS. He looked like a complete idiot.
On the flipside, a nice shirt, even a polo, regular boots with the hose, and a well worn kilt, and it looks great.

It's one of those things that, if you wear it correctly, it exudes confidence.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
LOL! There's a sort of Frank Zappa vibe to that photo!

Regarding confidence, yeah, that's the thing-with most headware outside of a baseball cap! People today are so ignorant that a fedora gets you labeled "Indiana Jones". Heck, I have gotten the "Indy" comment wearing a straw fedora with shorts, a Hawaiian shirt, and flip flops.

When I lived in South Florida, it was particularly bad. Not hat related but: I was in shorts etc. and using the reproduction of the Indy satchel. I always like satchels because I write and draw... I walked into a music store and some idiot tells me "Nice purse". Without hesitation, and acting like I appreciated the compliment, I replied: "Thanks! Got it from your mom!"
There was shocked silence as I continued on.

On an Indy note: My dad got me a bullwhip when I was a kid. WAY before Indian Jones was even thought of. It was at a Mexican rodeo at Madison Square Garden in NY (Antonio Aguilar). I thought of Zorro when I got that whip. When Indy came out, I knew how to use it and was ecstatic.

Getting back to confidence and stuff...

I think part of it is avoiding looking like we're wearing a costume.
Example: wearing a fedora with an Indy Jacket, khakis, a khaki satchel, etc. could be a bit pushing it. But maybe set it off with a different shirt, like a nice blue shirt or whatever. Maybe corduroys.

I mean, one of my uncles wore a fedora, leather jacket, brown pants, and a red flannel shirt. I loved that look since I was a kid.

So I think it's about how we carry ourselves, and wearing things that match and, while obviously somewhat vintage, don't look like a costume.

One other thing. If you want to build up confidence, wear a kilt sometimes. I like wearing a kilt. Very comfortable. And women have actually liked it-except for an ex who hated the attention I got.

I saw a guy wearing a kilt with a puffy leather jacket, a leather outback hat, and COWBOY BOOTS. He looked like a complete idiot.
On the flipside, a nice shirt, even a polo, regular boots with the hose, and a well worn kilt, and it looks great.

It's one of those things that, if you wear it correctly, it exudes confidence.

My favorite kilt to ever see was in Edinburgh, Scotland back in ‘97. There was a lad panhandling outside the grocery store who looked liked a true Scottish gutter punk. He was wearing a great kilt, full mohawk shaved to skin, combat boots and a leather jacket. He had the upper part of the kilt draped over the jacket and looked like he had slept outside in that kit for for a couple of months. Anywhere else it would have been farcical, but that kid exuded so much confidence and genuine punk spirit that I vividly remember him all these years later.

I was browsing the Sterkowski cap collection on Amazon last night. They aren’t the kind of caps that will find a big following on TFL, but for their price point that look decent and there are a number of military and biker choices that might interest you. Here’s the link to the biker caps but use the “categories” menu to shop lots of other options:

Joe45

New in Town
I like the idea of the Brando style or maybe a chauffeur hat.

Personally would not wear a military hat -- 11 years in The Army and I feel uniforms are uniforms and should not be worn outside of duty

Chauffeur hat:
View attachment 614426
Was looking at those too. I like them, but they have a "puffier" look.
The caps in King Kong above I really like, but can't figure out what they are-maybe just made for the movie.

Joe45

New in Town
My favorite kilt to ever see was in Edinburgh, Scotland back in ‘97. There was a lad panhandling outside the grocery store who looked liked a true Scottish gutter punk. He was wearing a great kilt, full mohawk shaved to skin, combat boots and a leather jacket. He had the upper part of the kilt draped over the jacket and looked like he had slept outside in that kit for for a couple of months. Anywhere else it would have been farcical, but that kid exuded so much confidence and genuine punk spirit that I vividly remember him all these years later.

I was browsing the Sterkowski cap collection on Amazon last night. They aren’t the kind of caps that will find a big following on TFL, but for their price point that look decent and there are a number of military and biker choices that might interest you. Here’s the link to the biker caps but use the “categories” menu to shop lots of other options:

Sounds like a cool look the kid had. It's funny how, with confidence, a lot of things will pass.

I did an Indy outfit once for a party, and I think it was ok. One of my coworkers said "Oh. So you dressed pretty much like you do every day."
At another party, I swapped the fedora for my Akubra Territory and wore a blue shirt I think it was, with a vest. Combined The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen with Indy. Don;t have a picture of that one, unfortunately..
MeIndy (2).jpg

I'll check out those caps.
Thanks for the info!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Sounds like a cool look the kid had. It's funny how, with confidence, a lot of things will pass.

I did an Indy outfit once for a party, and I think it was ok. One of my coworkers said "Oh. So you dressed pretty much like you do every day."
At another party, I swapped the fedora for my Akubra Territory and wore a blue shirt I think it was, with a vest. Combined The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen with Indy. Don;t have a picture of that one, unfortunately..
View attachment 614444

I'll check out those caps.
Thanks for the info!
Great costume! What's the hat?

Joe45

New in Town

I ordered the cap in khaki. It may be up to a month to get it though.
We'll see how good it is.
Thanks!

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I got the Elvis khaki one. Looks like the flight cap. Seems like it will be pretty much the same as the one the captain is wearing in King Kong in the photos above.
This is the picture that sold me on it, and I smoke a pipe sometimes, so maybe I can look similarly cool...
View attachment 614455
Thanks for the info!
Good for you, I was also looking at that one. I'm definitely interested to hear your report on it.

I might be ordering one or two from Sterkowski in the next few days. If they are good quality, they seem unbeatable for the price.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
FYI, there's already a big thread on Sterkowski caps here that's probably worth a look:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou