Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crushable or not?

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Starter questions

I just started getting into hats about six months ago and have purchased seven. Couple of general questions:

My wife says that black hats are too dressy for everyday wear. Thoughts?

I prefer the feel of a crushable felt hat. What are the pros and cons of crushable vs. non-crushable.

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge!!
Check out some of the threads on fellow Tennessean Mike Moore and his custom hat shop in Covington , Buckaroo Hatters.

Alot of us started with the crushable and then went on to vintage and custom. Nothing wrong with the crushable, but for the money you are better served with a vintage [if size and price suits] or a custom [ which may surprise you at the price, ]
Once again glad you joined us and show us some of your hats!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I felt that way too, but I have taken to wearing my black federation alot lately. I used to think of it as a dress hat but in pictures it looked like it would go with everything.

I can't help you much on the crushable stuff. I think most crushables are wool except for the folding travel hats.

Welcome to the lounge!:D

PS: Being in Nashville if you show up at Monteagle in Feb. you can see alot of hats!

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Thanks for the welcome. I'll look up the posts on Mike. Covington is outside of Memphis. Have several friends there and will definitely check out his store.

My wife has some fairly traditional views on clothing for men and thinks black is reserved for evening wear and such. I've picked up a black Bailey's Fairbanks (pinched front, 2 1/2 brim) and a Bailey's Tino (pinched front, 2 1/4 brim). I think they both look good with everything from an everyday suit to a black leather jacket. Just wondering what others think.

I'll get some pictures of my hats and post them.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
BTW, we make it to Monteagle fairly often, have friends down there. I can see that there would be a lot of hats around in Feb.

jec

One of the Regulars
I have family near Monteagle and get there to visit on occasion. What happens in February that there will be lots of hats then? I think I missed something...

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I think black hats often look too dressy for everyday wear, but will depend on the specific hat... not to mention, what "everyday" clothes you wear. ;)

For a casual black, I think brims should mostly stay under 2 1/2" to be sure. There are always exceptions though. I see black pork pies and 2 3/8" brimmed fedoras doing relaxed duty on Bookstore patrons all the time. If it doesn't look silly on you, leave the front of the brim up. It's more playful.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the Fedora Lounge, Gilgamark. Pull up a chair and stay a while. You're going to like it here.

Up until a few months ago, I thought I would never own a black hat. I thought black was too dressy to be worn with the clothing I usually wear hats with, most generally casual or what might be called dress casual clothing. One would think that at this point I would have learned: never say never. This past Tuesday a box came to our house that contained this hat along with some others:

IMG_0528.jpg

Major Mike Moore made this hat for me to wear, and I love it. Today I wore it with jeans and a sweatshirt, and, man, I was dressed up!

ortega76

Practically Family
Black hats are not too dressy for daytime wear if you find the right hat. Stingies will always be a good option for a more casual hat. You can change up things with a different hatband instead of a black on black look.

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
Bob, the hat in your picture is exactly one of the hats that I'm talking about wearing, only mine has a black band, double bow. My wife first brought up the "dressy" issue when I wore it with jeans and a hooded sweatshirt.

Not-Bogart13, thanks for the tip on leaving the brim up. At this point, I still like the look of tipping that front down, but I'll give that a try.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Funerals....OK

Welcome to the Lounge.

I have "reserved" my BLACK hats for formal occasions and funerals. The very dark hat does do well with a formal suit.

In reality, "Midnight Blue" is preferred... under artificial lights this color will look darker than a Black hat.

Personally, for daily wear...a light brown, fawn, or my favorite "DOVE GREY" hat with black band GOES WITH EVERYTHING.

A black hat just seems to be too dark ..and in summer it certainly will be too hot.

ZackP

New in Town
Hey everyone! New guy here. Just wanted to ask a basic first question...I would like to get into fedoras and such (I have lightweight ones, but now that it is cold out, need something warm!), but am just not sure about crushable hats. Is this something that changes the quality of the hat itself in terms of insulation? I will not be traveling long distances or anything, so I truly do not need a crushable hat in terms of space. Thanks for the help guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Zack

The search engine here ain't exactly Google, but it does work. Search Wool and see what our opinion is on wool. I own a wool hat that got rained on, I can't wear it anymore. Wool shrinks in the rain, and possibly when you sweat in it. If you want to go cheap to begin with I'd suggest Panama Bob panama hats, Sunbody hats (grass, not panama) or try the used fur felt hat market on ebay. The chances are about even that any money spent on a wool hat will be wasted because it won't last a year.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?68669-whats-everyones-opinion-on-100-wool-fedora-s&highlight=wool

There, that should give you an idea. I haven't seen any fur felt or beaver felt crushable hats, only wool and some panamas. The crushable part won't matter in the least. I'm not sure what good if any, waterproofing a hat does. You mention that you already wear hats. I suggest that if you know what crown and brim size works for your face shape, save up and order from one of the guys on the Lounge. Mike Moore (Buckaroo hatters), Tony Brouner (Tumwater hats), Art at Vintage Silhouettes, and the guy who runs Falcon Park in Chicago come to mind. Of course, this will only work if you KNOW what looks good ordering from Maine and all.

I don't know any hat shops in Maine, but there's also a thread showing the various dealers.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?13488-Hat-Vendors

Good luck

Fur felt crushables suffer something for the "crushability". If you don't need one for travel to pack for plane flights, etc. don't get one. Get a good grade fur felt hat like an Akubra Imperial grade. I had a Christy's Foldable = worst hat purchase I ever made. I've held & checked out an Akubra Traveler = didn't buy it. Only one I'd may consider now is a vintage Borsalino rollaway... Get to know good, regular hats before thinking about crushables again. Crushers, the wool ones mentioned, are good foul weather hats as long as you consider them disposables...JMHO

ZackP

New in Town
Thanks! I figured it'd be better to get a nice non-crushable. I will definitely go that route!

Fur felt crushables suffer something for the "crushability". If you don't need one for travel to pack for plane flights, etc. don't get one. Get a good grade fur felt hat like an Akubra Imperial grade. I had a Christy's Foldable = worst hat purchase I ever made. I've held & checked out an Akubra Traveler = didn't buy it. Only one I'd may consider now is a vintage Borsalino rollaway... Get to know good, regular hats before thinking about crushables again. Crushers, the wool ones mentioned, are good foul weather hats as long as you consider them disposables...JMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran