Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crushable or not?

Bingles

A-List Customer
Depends on the weather for me -- in the dead of winter with heavy snow and frigid temps, fur felts are heartier and warmer. For the cooler months, I prefer wool felt.. crushable or not.

I have several wool crushables I wear regularly when it's not super cold out (fall and spring) because I sweat to death in fur felt with the leather sweat band otherwise. Some of these hats I've had for years with no shrinkage or loss of shape -- but I don't "cursh" them (I look at it more as a precaution that if it does get sat on or something, it will hopefully keep it's shape.. but I don't go out of my way to crush it), I spray them once a year (beginning of fall) with water repellent - and no matter what hat I wear, if it's raining I use an umbrella (I tell my friends: you can get wet, but my hats will not).

For the price, they can be nice everyday hats when you're going out in jeans and it's not freezing cold - but God forbid something did happen to the hat, you're also not out a lot of money. But if you're shopping for a heavy duty winter hat, fur felt is best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner