Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuban Heel Shoes

Ccc

New in Town
What are your thoughts on the Cuban heel design? I've seen stiletto heels, boot heels and pump heels all described with "Cuban" heels.

What is the true definition, design and history behind the Cuban heel?

Any thoughts will be appreciated!!

Thank you,

Ccc

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Cuban Heeled shoes

Good Question!!!I don't know!have you looked online?any answers there?I don't even have anyone to ask about it either.I'm curious to see what this thread has to offer on the subject.

SayCici

Practically Family
Hmm. I had never heard of the design applied to anything outside of stockings, but as I understand it, they are shoes for men with heels (about 1-2 inches), generally for dancing but winklepickers also have heels some of the time.

As for the history of men wearing heels, they may have been the first in history to do so. It is usually speculated that the reason heels were added to shoes were to aid horse-riders in keeping their feet in the stirrups. Cowboy foots still feature this heel.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
In the Era, a cuban-heeled shoe for women was generally 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches high and about 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide, with a flat front and a rounded, very slightly curved back. It was the middle stage between a "walking heel" and a "spike heel." It could be found on pumps or oxfords.

Cuban heels were extremely popular for everyday street wear thruout the thirties and forties. They were more stylish than the walking-heels found on housewife oxfords, but more practical and durable for daywear than high, thin spike heels.

Dutchess

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:
In the Era, a cuban-heeled shoe for women was generally 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches high and about 1 to 1 1/2 inches wide, with a flat front and a rounded, very slightly curved back. It was the middle stage between a "walking heel" and a "spike heel." It could be found on pumps or oxfords.

Cuban heels were extremely popular for everyday street wear thruout the thirties and forties. They were more stylish than the walking-heels found on housewife oxfords, but more practical and durable for daywear than high, thin spike heels.

Correct! You find them on low flamencoshoes as well (3-4 cm aprox.) In the shoe-topic I posted my vintage-y Wolky shoes, that have a heel much like a Cuban heel. Very comfortable.

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
These are pictures of my navy blue suede shoes. I do believe these are considered to be cuban heels.

0122.jpg

0132.jpg

I hope this helps!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
The ladies are correct. Cuban heeled shoes are unisex, 1-2 inches in height. I'm guessing the name comes from Cuban dancers, because you often see them wearing such shoes.

Lola, those are nice shoes. :)

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
They're my favorite. Long before I'd heard of Cuban heels, my most treasured pair of cowboy boots had riding heels, which are along the same lines. Now, decades later, I again have riding-heeled cowboy boots, and several pairs of vintage and vintage-styled shoes with Cubans. They're so classy, with a hint of potential adventure as well.

miss_elise

Practically Family
Noun - Singular
Cuban heel (plural cuban heels)

1. A relatively low-style of high heel shoes, characterised by a slightly tapered back and a straight front.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran