Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuban heeled KNEE-highs??

Heather

Practically Family
I like to wear knee highs to work (dress shoes and slacks) and I was wondering what the chances were of anyone making them with cuban heels or perhaps seams? I know it may be a long but I figured if there was even the slightest chance, you ladies would be able to point me in the right direction. :)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
They did exist -- see here for a 1935 newspaper ad promoting them -- but I've never come across a surviving vintage pair. I suspect they got hard use in their time, and not too many have survived.

If someone is inclined to reproduce them, the ad shows what they should look like. And don't forget the genuine Lastex band at the top!

Heather

Practically Family
LizzieMaine-Oh darn! Thanks for posting that link though. I wonder they got hard to work with. Maybe in producing them?

miss_elise- Well I can sew if anyone has a seam pattern hehe ;)

crwritt

One Too Many
Heather said:
LizzieMaine-Oh darn! Thanks for posting that link though. I wonder they got hard to work with. Maybe in producing them?

miss_elise- Well I can sew if anyone has a seam pattern hehe ;)

I think she meant they got used so much they wore out (hard use) not that they were difficult to use.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Pretty much any vintage Cuban heel stocking only comes up to my knees. lol

Seriously, I wear "average" stockings with roll garters and that is where they end up. If you aren't really petite you could always buy "short" stockings and roll them down if you can't find any knee highs that you like.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Tourbillion said:
Pretty much any vintage Cuban heel stocking only comes up to my knees. lol

Seriously, I wear "average" stockings with roll garters and that is where they end up. If you aren't really petite you could always buy "short" stockings and roll them down if you can't find any knee highs that you like.

My grandmother always wore her stockings like this -- she wasn't tall, but she hated wearing a garter belt. So she made ring garters out of elastic and rolled them into her stockings, to just below the knee.

Heather

Practically Family
Funny, today i saw a listing on the bay for garters with their original packaging. They looked extra thick hair electics. My how times have changed!

Sunny

One Too Many
Roll garters are still around. I've mostly seen them sold (inaccurately) for historical reenactors!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21