Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffed trousers' length

QMcK

Familiar Face
Hello,

Sorry if this has already been discussed.

I've been given two 1960s N.Z. Army trousers (1 fawn and 1 khaki). They are pleated, they have wide legs (almost no tapering) and they have cuffs.

Both trousers fall just above my shoes when worn at my waist. A peek of my socks is visable. I had thought that they would want lengthening for me, but I've seen a couple of pictures of men wearing this style of trousers, with the trousers falling about where mine fall on me.

What are your opinions on wearing the trousers as they are?

QMcK

Familiar Face
Thanks for the reply. I had thought that, too. But then I saw this:

DigonforVictory.jpg

I guess some Army trousers would be cut like this to keep them a little bit out of the muck.

I thought that was interesting. Then I saw a picture in the "1930s ski and winter wear: images" thread (link below). In the third picture down, the gentleman wearing the brown hat is attired with (sort of) similar trousers worn at a similar length.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=6223&highlight=WINTER

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^True, but your trousers are from the '60s, so I wouldn't base length on older photos/drawings. On the other hand, I'm not familiar with New Zealand Army uniform regulations/traditions from that time period, so perhaps some service photos from the '60s would help.[huh]

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I can't speak to military trousers, but I aim for a minimal break on all my cuffed trousers.

Uncuffed is another matter, but this is one detail (among many) I always watch for in old movies, and cuffed trousers generally appear to have virtually no break at all.

QMcK

Familiar Face
Widebrim said:
^^True, but your trousers are from the '60s, so I wouldn't base length on older photos/drawings. On the other hand, I'm not familiar with New Zealand Army uniform regulations/traditions from that time period, so perhaps some service photos from the '60s would help.[huh]

Yes, though the ones I have look exactly the style of the trousers in the Dig for Victory poster. I wouldn't be surprised if they're the same pattern as used in the 1940s (I'm pretty sure they aren't uniform now).

My Dad gave them to me. His other trousers are too short for me, but I know at least one of the trousers he gave me was not his - someone else's cast off for doing the gardening in, I guess.

I will try to locate some service photos. That's a good idea.

Interesting, skyvue. I'll take more of an interest in future myself.

QMcK

Familiar Face
So far, the photos I've found feature men with their trousers tucked into their boots. I'll keep looking.

The clothes are in good nick (he gave me a few shirts, too) and at least one other pair of trousers (I now recall). I'd say they were new or near new. One pair of trousers is named, perhaps that guy quit after not too long, since they are in really good condition.

He joined the territorial army sometime in the 1940s and left in the mid to late 60s (I think) at the rank of major. Would he have been responsible for distributing clothing? At least one of the shirts has 1965 printed on the tag, so I assume the trousers are from the 60s, too.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To break or not to break, and whether they should be perfectly horizontal or are slightly angled front to back, are age-old questions, which seem to be entirely up to individual taste.

QMcK

Familiar Face
Well, I thought so too. But since the guy in the poster is wearing his pants at a similar length - and it's a drawing - so the artist had artistic license to get things correct, I think it maybe it is acceptable.

Although he's probably wearing military trousers cut to be worn with boots. So I guess it's not necessarily correct. Maybe they wanted to make it clear he was wearing military trousers for reasons of patriotism.

Or maybe he's wearing his trousers short so as to use less fabric, but then why do the trousers have cuffs?

I suppose they're advertising that you should wear what you can get, especially when gardening - there's a war on, so who cares if your trousers aren't right?

Russ257

New in Town
if looking at the drawing take position into account. His leg is forward which may bring the cuff up a bit over where it would lay when he is standing.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Post a photo of you wearing the trousers if you would like some opinions of their fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats