Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks and Shirt Studs.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^Thanks, Anthony. I keep trying to stop buying links, but I'm always lured back in. No one has an excuse not to have nice cufflinks. They can be had so cheaply on ebay.

Warbaby said:
Found these cufflinks at the thrift store today for a quarter. I can't figure out what these things are supposed to represent - they look like some sort of machine part. Any ideas? The post and swivel are interesting. I've never seen that style before.

cufflinksD2cr.jpg
wow steampunks would give an arm for those!!

Vampyre

Warbaby

One Too Many
Vampyre Master said:
wow steampunks would give an arm for those!!

Vampyre

In which case he wouldn't need both of them...

I never thought of them as steampunkish, but now that you mention it, they do fit with the style.

Cody Pendant - yep, they definitely look like four-bolt hubs but the proportion/scale seems a bit off.

Whatever they are, I like them a lot. The shaft is a nifty design that holds its position in the buttonhole and doesn't rotate. Irrelevant for these cufflinks, but great for designs that should stay in a particular orientation.

lagunie

New in Town
HELP

Bought a pair of cufflinks off Ebay and they are exactly what I wanted - EXCEPT that the swivel backs are loose. I know I'm stuck but has anyone any suggestion on how they can be made 'tighter' so that they don't slip out of the shirt cuff? Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Enigma1947

Familiar Face
Masonic Cufflinks! My Favorite!

Here are two of my most treasured pairs of cufflinks. The first is masonic- read the writing on the reverse side!! I picked up this pair from a lady who deals in large quantities of jewelry and she let me have these for $10! The second is from the Shriners and I was lucky enough to get these for $10 as well!
Lounge24.jpg

Lounge26.jpg

Lounge25.jpg

habberdasher

A-List Customer
Dress Studs

I've only started this year gathering information on vintage wear and accessories that have been long dead or never really popular, yet old and formal, so please do excuse my unknowingness in this subject in some ways.
Now, here is my question:
Dress studs I believe are only for wear as a button counterpart/replacement with a heavily starched formal winged collar tuxedo dress shirts with a pleated placket that is much too stiff for use with a button closure. I used to believe studs were worn on spats! What I ask is if studs can be or is usually used for another reason which I may not know. Is it for use with spats?

Lokar

A-List Customer
Studs exist for waistcoats, shirts (There are people who use studs in all shirts, but they were originally created for the boiled front shirt, as they were too stiff to button), and for collars (same reason as for the boiled shirts).

As David V said, spats were typically closed with buttons.

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
I wouldn't really describe the fastenings used on waistcoats as studs, since to my mind a stud must have a post and a back, whereas generally in my experience waistcoats take what is essentially a shanked button with a removable retainer.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Enigma1947 said:
Here are two of my most treasured pairs of cufflinks. The first is masonic- read the writing on the reverse side!! I picked up this pair from a lady who deals in large quantities of jewelry and she let me have these for $10! The second is from the Shriners and I was lucky enough to get these for $10 as well!
Lounge24.jpg

Lounge26.jpg

Lounge25.jpg

Beautiful! And for $10 each? :eusa_clap

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
An aunt who manages a Salvation Army store down in Missouri sent me this box recently. It was a nice surprise, but none of them really interest me (I won't tell her that, though...). ;)

100-6.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy