Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks and Shirt Studs.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Widebrim said:
Nice collection, QB! Is that a JPL tie clip? And none of them interest you?!

None are really my style. The JPL one has some curiousity about it, though. It says 'JPL Mariner' and the initials 'li.' Was 'li' a company involved with Mariner? It's probably mid-60s.

draws

Practically Family
I'm looking for a pair of nice collar studs for white and black tie formal kits I'm putting together. I am working on collars right now. I have the boiled front shirts and waistcoats already in place. If anyone has a set of duplicate collar studs you wish to part with for a good home, please PM me. Thanks

Lokar

A-List Customer

Warbaby

One Too Many
Figural Cufflink/Stud sets - Acceptable Formal Wear?

I was browsing the results of the recent Fine Jewels sale at Sotheby's and among the excessive offerings were several sets of figural cufflinks and shirt studs in 18k gold and enamel.

DressSet_Racecars.jpg

DressSet_Candies.jpg

DressSet_Wine.jpg

DressSet_Cigars.jpg

They're very cool, but I'm wondering about figural studs - they seem entirely too flamboyant for the understated elegance that I associate with formal wear. Are they really acceptable for formal wear or are they just whimsical bling that are meant to be worn in some other social context. And since these sets sold for pretty serious money ($2500 for the racecars, $3750 for the candies, $4375 for the airplanes, $5000 for the wine set, and a cool ten grand for the cigars), they seem a bit pricey for whimsical bling (unless I'm underestimating the value of whimsy and/or bling among the moneyed classes).

Of course, on a personal level the appropriateness of these studs is a moot point since the odds of my ever finding one of these sets at a flea market for twenty bucks are prolly pretty slim.

However, this set by Buccellati with emeralds and sapphires are an absolute knockout and I wouldn't hesitate to wear them. Unfortunately, at $37,500 it was a bit out of my price range...

DressSet_Emerald.jpg

Geesie

Practically Family
In my opinion...

They are whimsical, but what's wrong with that? Sure I wouldn't wear them to an opening night gala but I would wear them to a black tie dinner party hosted by friends.

(well not these in particular but I think you get my meaning)

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Cufflinks

I prefer a colored cufflink over something solid silver. Why? I like to play off a color in a tie, or even suit. Say I have a blue suit, white shirt, with a blue/red striped tie. Adding a touch of color to the cuff can be fun without being whimsical.

My favorites are Robert Talbott but getting them cheaper then retail is hard. They average $325 and even at $160, that can be a stretch to acquire a few. I have some Thomas Pink cloth cufflinks and those can be had on ebay for around $30 to $50 shipped.

Any other suggestions on something nice in enamel, or even a semi precious stone? I got some Robert Tattosean (I know I spelled it wrong) as a first pair but those were north of $150 for a blue quartz-like stone - they are my workhorses though.

I have some Silver John Hardy knot-like cufflinks and one silver pair is enough for me. I am thinking of a mother-of-pearl pair and would try HCGEMS on ebay for a $22 pair I think.

Geesie

Practically Family
Quigley Brown said:
None are really my style. The JPL one has some curiousity about it, though. It says 'JPL Mariner' and the initials 'li.' Was 'li' a company involved with Mariner? It's probably mid-60s.

Are they going to show up on eBay any time soon?

Doublegun

Practically Family
Looking for needles in a haystack, but thought I'd ask anyway. I am looking for 3-pairs of cuff-links that are Oxbow's (The yoke used to harness oxen to wagons). Suggestions?

Suggestions where to look for such specific items or where to order custom links?

Thanks.

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Doublegun said:
Suggestions where to look for such specific items or where to order custom links?

Well, I'd ask my local jewellers. I don't know about America, but over here there are plenty of craft galleries that sell goods by local jewellers - they'd certainly make you some to whatever design you sketch out.

Or if you're crafy, there is some stuff called Precious Metal Clay - it's like modelling clay that can be fired, then it's solid silver. I've successfully made my own cufflinks using it. 3 pairs of cufflinks would use abut £18 of clay, plus a couple of quid for silver chain.

nigelewan

New in Town
I just bought these cufflinks! I know the picture is hard to see, but if anyone could give me info on cleaning, I'd appreciate it. They are quite dirty looking and while that is not a total turn-off, I'd like to shine them up.

4642433203_4f4041d8bd_o.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
nigelewan said:
They are quite dirty looking and while that is not a total turn-off, I'd like to shine them up.
I'm afraid there's not much you can do with worn and pitted plating.

Foofoogal

Banned
I will have to show my collection. I just picked up 4 sets in original boxes.
3 are made by Tradition. Do anyone know the history of this company?
One has no name but it is cateyes. Pretty.
One is a watermelon set.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
fourlinks.jpg

My cufflinks.

Top left - Gold-plated cufflinks. Belonged to my father. He gave them to me.
Top right - Scotch College highschool graduation cufflinks. Got those when I finished highschool. Again, gold-plated.
Bottom left - 14kt gold 1950s abacus cufflinks with movable beads. Each link marked '14K' on T-bar.
Bottom right - Stainless steel cufflinks. Belonged to my brother, who gave them to me. I assume they're s/steel, because there's nothing on them that says otherwise, and they haven't tarnished so I doubt they're silver.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to confess that I am a newbie when it comes to cufflinks. I just bought my first shirt that has this kinda cuffs. It's convertible. Should I cut the button as soon as I have cufflinks? It would be in the way, non?

Is it common that people will look down on this toggle thingys?
There are some on ebay with mother of pearl, a little art deco and stuff. I would buy 'em but I go for a golden era look. Is the toggle style uncommon for say 30s and 40s?

Edit: Wait. I'm stupid. I looked again. It's not the same mechanism. They have a backpiece like a long oval or diamond shape but not this toggle that goes inside of the connecting bolt. So this is something else. It would be nice to get an answer to the questions though. Thank you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy