Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks and Shirt Studs.

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
IMG_20160407_115951.jpg

Zachary

One of the Regulars
I hope I don't hurt anyone by re-awakening this thread …

My intention was to start a topic "Show us your Cufflinks", but then I found this thread here, which makes my idea obsolete.

So, let's go on and have a look at our cufflinks!

IMG_0014.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
MG ownership can lead to an obsession, the first photo are the cufflinks that my lady treated me to. The second are a collection of lapel pins that I had turned into buttons for the shirt that my wife made for me. The shirt depicts vintage MG cars.
old photos 029.JPG
MG Shirt 001.JPG

I know cufflinks are mainly for more formal dress (I.e. Suits) but I like them with sports coats or even just a vest and trousers on a too hot for jacket day

I'm not so bound by traditon and custom. I agree that the natural setting for cufflinks for the last...80 years has been business dress or more formal occasions, but I too wear them with more casual attire. Personally, I only wear them when Im wearing some sort of coat, but that's just me.

I wish men dressed better, but I also embrace the freedom we have compared to previous generations. Convention and rules have their place (white tie, etc.), but we can dress well without being slaves to arbitrary rules.

Reactions: Hal

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
How others dress is up to them. The funny thing is now that clothes are less expensive dressing well, which used to be the sign of a gentleman or wealthier individual, is looked on as odd. I usually wear at least dress pants and polished shoes to church, summers up near 100 and high humidity can make sports coats difficult, but plenty of men go in jeans and work boots. I don't follow the rules all that well, like cufflinks with a sports coat, but I try to be aware of them

MG ownership can lead to an obsession, the first photo are the cufflinks that my lady treated me to. The second are a collection of lapel pins that I had turned into buttons for the shirt that my wife made for me. The shirt depicts vintage MG cars.
View attachment 89807 View attachment 89808
How others dress is up to them. The funny thing is now that clothes are less expensive dressing well, which used to be the sign of a gentleman or wealthier individual, is looked on as odd. I usually wear at least dress pants and polished shoes to church, summers up near 100 and high humidity can make sports coats difficult, but plenty of men go in jeans and work boots. I don't follow the rules all that well, like cufflinks with a sports coat, but I try to be aware of them

How individuals dress is certainly up to them; however, my lament is that the world has become increasingly sloppy and content to be in public in pajamas, yoga pants, and tank tops. People have lost some respect for themselves and a sense of decorum. I don't want pretense, but I believe that there is a correlation between how people look and how they act.

I'll also be the first to say one need not suffer to meet some contrived aesthetic. I normally wear a light jacket to church in the summer, but when the weather is brutally hot I'll go sans coat. Seersucker, linen, poplin, and cotton can only take you so far.

I'm alright with not always being dressed to the nines, but why can't the collective "we" try just a little harder? I get that I'm only responsible for myself, but I can still wish that society was a little more polite, more tolerant, and better dressed (and in that order). Cheers.

Jaxenro

One of the Regulars
I was looking at buying some made from a pair of US Barber quarters when I thought I have three or four rolls of these so I sent for some backs going to make my own. Anyone ever done this?

Will post some pics when done

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I was looking at buying some made from a pair of US Barber quarters when I thought I have three or four rolls of these so I sent for some backs going to make my own. Anyone ever done this?
Yes, in 1971 our currency went decimal. All the previous coins went out of circulation. They made brilliant cuff links. I will have a rummage through my cuff link boxes and see what I can find.

I'm impressed with all the display boxes, special gifts like these ruby encrusted cuff links with matching tie pin I keep in their box, it was a gift from my wife on our ruby wedding anniversary. Most of my cuff links are just put in one of these, multi-drawer cuff link boxes.

cuff links 001.JPG
cuff links 002.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana