Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks and Shirt Studs.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
No. It's incomplete and so entirely useless. But these old metals are dangerous for the environment. Still, you're lucky, as I happen to be an expert, so just send the set to me, and I'll see to it that they are lawfully taken care of.

(Seriously, it's fine - this is because with a classical dinner jacket and a waistcoat or a cummerbund, you wouldn't see more. In fact, with today's dinner jackets and low-rise trousers, one sometimes does see more, and I find it awkward to see three black studs for the upper button holes, and below them regular plastic or mother-of-pearl buttons that came sewn on with the shirt.)

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
The collection continues:

017-1.jpg

9ct kidney-shaped (don't ask me why, but I like them)

018-1.jpg

Simple MoP and gilt snaps

019-1.jpg

"Pearloid" snaps, apparently, with an attractive star-type pattern in the centre - a bit wobbly, unfortunately

020-1.jpg

I assume that these are either enamel or celluloid, with glass centres - either way, I like them. (Spare pair available; please PM.)

And, finally:

023-1.jpg

Carved MoP links

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:
I don't own a shirt that this set I recently found would be used for, but there's only three studs. Is that all is needed?

Actually, that looks like five studs, three white and two black. The set ought to have had a pair of cufflinks in place of the black studs.

Something like this:

DSC06179.jpg

Anthony Jordan

Practically Family
Orgetorix said:
I like them too. How can you tell the metal content on things like this? Are they marked? I ask because I'm curious as to what the two pairs I posted above are made from, and I can't find any markings on them.

Thanks!
Mine were hallmarked, which is the only way I know of to tell, apart from taking them to a jeweller for testing. Sometimes the item may be marked 375, 750, 800, 925 etc., or "Sterling" in the case of silver, which serves a similar function to hallmarking in that it shows the precious metal content. (The numbers are parts in a thousand, with 375, 750 and (I think) 950 being gold markings, corresponding to 9ct, 18 ct and 22ct, respectively. 800 and 925 are both silver markings, the latter corresponding to Sterling.)

JEEP

Practically Family
Finally got the digi-cam out of the box:

Manchetknapper01.jpg

Modern, but still quite stylish - sterling silver.

Manchetknapper02.jpg

50s or 60s - oxydated silver

Manchetknapper03.jpg

40s or 50s - sterling silver

Manchetknapper04.jpg

30s - brass and green enamel

Manchetknapper05.jpg

30s - brass and red enamel (I thinks it's supposed to look like some kind of ball - any suggestions?)

Manchetknapper06.jpg

20s or 30s - oxydated silver

I have a few more on the way.

/Jakob

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Orgetorix said:
Actually, that looks like five studs, three white and two black. The set ought to have had a pair of cufflinks in place of the black studs.

Something like this:

DSC06179.jpg

Aren't those oyster shell-like cases neato? I'll have dig out an French cuff shirt (I think I have one DEEP in a box somewhere) and see if they're cuff links or not.

JEEP

Practically Family
Nice one!

These came in the mail yesterday:

Manchetknapper08.jpg

Silvered with bluish mother-of-pearl/celluloid, the inserts are much lighter in colour than suggested in the picture - I'm not sure about the age. Any ideas?

/Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
Thanks - I am quite fond of them myself :)

1930s sounds reasonable - but with a star as the only mark I had nothing to go by.

I think they will look smashing with a white and (thinly) blue stiped shirt. I just need to find a matching tie-bar.

/Jakob

JEEP

Practically Family
These came in the small treasure chest that arrived in the mail today:

Manchetknapper09.jpg

Unknown material, maybe gold or gold-double - 30s or earlier.

Manchetknapper10.jpg

Snap cufflinks, silver and mother-of-pearl - 30s or 40s.

Man, buying cufflinks sure is addictive :)

/Jakob

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JEEP said:
Manchetknapper08.jpg

Silvered with bluish mother-of-pearl/celluloid, the inserts are much lighter in colour than suggested in the picture - I'm not sure about the age. Any ideas?
/Jakob

VB: Late 1920's at best. Can't tell the middle stone or backing material without a better image.

JEEP said:
Manchetknapper09.jpg

Unknown material, maybe gold or gold-double - 30s or earlier.
Manchetknapper10.jpg

Snap cufflinks, silver and mother-of-pearl - 30s or 40s.
/Jakob

VB:
Gold ones are by my estimate late 1800's with 10K overlay. I could be certain of this if I saw a sharp scan or image of the back of the cufflink.
Round ones are brass inlaid with mother of pearl, 1920's.

That's my best guess...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn