Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current and future state of Hattery

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I say to hell with a hat renaissance. I want to stand out from the mob not blend in. A fedora allows the wearer to make a statement. If everyone is wearing one, the only statement you are making is that you are part of the herd.

Sadly, this is the one thing I truly struggle with everyday. In my line of work, it's important that I DON'T stand out. While I would love to wear my fedoras everyday, as a part of my everyday life style, the most I can get away with regularly is wearing my flat caps.

My fedoras hang on my hat rack at home, and patiently wait for the weekends, when it is finally their turn...

oak1971

Familiar Face
I say to hell with a hat renaissance. I want to stand out from the mob not blend in. A fedora allows the wearer to make a statement. If everyone is wearing one, the only statement you are making is that you are part of the herd.

Any renaissance would simply be a fashion trend and would not come with any change in the civility and manners of the mob. Nor would the quality of the offerings improve significantly. Quality is not a relevant factor in today's throwaway society.

Also there is no need. Hats made to a standard that no modern manufacturer would ever strive for still exist in abundance.

Therefore I respectfully suggest that, unless you are a hat vendor or have a head the size of a football helmet, there is no benefit to a hat renaissance. Let's just keep them our little secret, mmmkhay?

A diabolical plan. I kind of like it.

From a practical standpoint, fedoras are considered a throwback style, and a nuisance to wear. You have to (or at least are supposed to) remove them indoors, and when you do you have to keep track of them. They require more attention than a ball cap, and unlike a ball cap or flat cap (newsboy) you can't shove it in a pocket. You'll lose your fedora on a windy day, and the cost is usually high enough that most wouldn't want to wear a fedora in inclement weather (it's not like you can get them cleaned at every dry cleaner like you could 60 years ago). I believe the fedora will continue as a statement piece.

From a practical standpoint, fedoras are considered a throwback style, and a nuisance to wear. You have to (or at least are supposed to) remove them indoors, and when you do you have to keep track of them. They require more attention than a ball cap, and unlike a ball cap or flat cap (newsboy) you can't shove it in a pocket. You'll lose your fedora on a windy day, and the cost is usually high enough that most wouldn't want to wear a fedora in inclement weather (it's not like you can get them cleaned at every dry cleaner like you could 60 years ago). I believe the fedora will continue as a statement piece.

Spoken like a true salesman of something other than fedoras.

You're supposed to remove your bloody ballcap indoors, too.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

I'll take 10 of whatever you are selling .....

... then flip them on eBay and buy a nice fur felt

Wesslyn

Practically Family

I actually find fedoras quite practical and I'm sure lots of loungers would agree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner