Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Current and future state of Hattery

"Huh...?"

The National League, being older than the American League, is referred to as the Senior Circuit. The AL is the Junior Circuit.

It's fun for midwesterners to hate on the NY teams, but Cincy and the Yanks have long been intertwined. Sweet Lou Piniella is, of course much beloved around here. He was the Grand Marshall in the Opening Day parade this year.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
The National League, being older than the American League, is referred to as the Senior Circuit. The AL is the Junior Circuit.

It's fun for midwesterners to hate on the NY teams, but Cincy and the Yanks have long been intertwined. Sweet Lou Piniella is, of course much beloved around here. He was the Grand Marshall in the Opening Day parade this year.
"Looooooooooouuuuuuuuuuu!"

"Looooooooooouuuuuuuuuuu!"

Somehow, I know not how, Marty Brennaman (Reds long-time announcer) put the moniker "Pot Roast" on him.

We love our Lou!

Picture53.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I think that if there were still big name competing brands, hat culture would most likely be more mainstream as these companies would be running ad campaigns, product placement, etc. in order to keep their names tops on our minds when we went clothes shopping. Now, with most of the old brands now just licensed names all owned by a few entities, why spend the money promoting products when folks that want hats can just be forced to pick from their mediocre offerings?
Bummer is, most folks now wouldn't know the difference between a woolie and a fine fur felt to save their lives. :(

The demise of the hat culture occurred in sort of the reverse direction of this.

Because of the decline in the wearing of hats, small companies combined, or were bought out, and manufacturing methods were modernized to keep prices in line. Despite ads, the trend continued in that direction.

Because of all the reasons already supplied here, ad campaigns for expensive, delicate (as compared to cheap cotton which is easily replaceable) fur felt hats will do nothing to make them mainstream.

The demise of the hat culture occurred in sort of the reverse direction of this.

Because of the decline in the wearing of hats, small companies combined, or were bought out, and manufacturing methods were modernized to keep prices in line. Despite ads, the trend continued in that direction.

Because of all the reasons already supplied here, ad campaigns for expensive, delicate (as compared to cheap cotton which is easily replaceable) fur felt hats will do nothing to make them mainstream.

It, like many others, is an interesting industry history. Prof Bowers' research shows us one hatter gobbling up another since almost the very beginning. That's something that keeps me interested. I learn something new about the industry all the time, following posts here, reading articles, etc.

"It's a fashion statement; it's a history lesson; it's practical clothing!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW