Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More than a wind or rodeo strap?

Naphtali

Practically Family
Okay, I confirmed that my Campaign hat doesn't have enough crown to render it anything more than a army-style Montana Peak.

I've identified a couple of used Western hats that are satisfactory - except for a couple of details. I especially appreciate chin strap slots and grommeted ventilation holes in Campaign hats' crowns. None of the Western hats I've looked at have them. The only hats with any of these features are some Akubras, but Akubras don't particularly interest me.

Please identify hat makers or restorer who can incorporate these features in a fur felt Western hat.

Okay, I confirmed that my Campaign hat doesn't have enough crown to render it anything more than a army-style Montana Peak.

I've identified a couple of used Western hats that are satisfactory - except for a couple of details. I especially appreciate chin strap slots and grommeted ventilation holes in Campaign hats' crowns. None of the Western hats I've looked at have them. The only hats with any of these features are some Akubras, but Akubras don't particularly interest me.

Please identify hat makers or restorer who can incorporate these features in a fur felt Western hat.
I just finished a custom hat yesterday where the client wanted 3 grommet/eyelets on each side. It is easy to do. Tandy sells grommets in 3 finishes/colors. The punch/anvil set is inexpensive. If it has a liner you will need to remove that but if you want the eyelets to actually ventilate you need the hat to be unlined anyway.

Naphtali

Practically Family
I just finished a custom hat yesterday where the client wanted 3 grommet/eyelets on each side. It is easy to do. Tandy sells grommets in 3 finishes/colors. The punch/anvil set is inexpensive. If it has a liner you will need to remove that but if you want the eyelets to actually ventilate you need the hat to be unlined anyway.
I apologize for my response being this tardy. I bought an Akubra Banjo Patterson (Heritage Collection) and I'm comfortable with it having chin strap slots and ventilation holes. Two questions:

- Why cannot vent holes be installed through the liner with holes' lined with the metal hole liner metal;?

- Since I prefer to have slots and lined holes done with precision, please recommend or suggest who can effectively complete the work. Since I am in Missoula County, Montana, I would prefer someone in the general area. But hat being easily shipped, I further prefer a correct job rather than a poor local job.

I apologize for my response being this tardy. I bought an Akubra Banjo Patterson (Heritage Collection) and I'm comfortable with it having chin strap slots and ventilation holes. Two questions:

- Why cannot vent holes be installed through the liner with holes' lined with the metal hole liner metal;?

- Since I prefer to have slots and lined holes done with precision, please recommend or suggest who can effectively complete the work. Since I am in Missoula County, Montana, I would prefer someone in the general area. But hat being easily shipped, I further prefer a correct job rather than a poor local job.
Yes, the holes can be punched through the liner. It just becomes more complex procedure getting the liner lined up properly. If it were just one hole it would be simple but punching multiple holes and having them all lined up correctly becomes exponentially more difficult. Plus, it makes it nigh impossible to remove the liner should it become soiled and needing a rinse.

There is a custom hatter in Darby Montana. If you just google 'custom hat makers montana' you will get a long list. Every city in the state seems to have at least one hat maker.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
So this article is about 10 years old, so not sure if this email will work, but the guy who made the hats for 1923 is based on Montana and works out of a camper.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-lifestyle/a-man-of-many-hats/
TCM: It sounds like a wonderful experience for both you and your customers. Where will you be making hats in 2014?

Bear: From around the end of May until the last of August, I will be mostly in Montana. If your readers want to know what events I’ll be attending, have them email me at buffalohats@hotmail.com.

So this article is about 10 years old, so not sure if this email will work, but the guy who made the hats for 1923 is based on Montana and works out of a camper.

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/camper-lifestyle/a-man-of-many-hats/
I helped a young lady with her hat making skills. Her plan is to have a set up that allows her to travel the summer festival circuit making and selling hats right there at the festival. Interesting to note this guy has been doing it for a while now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner