Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Almost a Federation, But Not Quite

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
A couple of weeks ago, there was a discussion of Stratton hats. When I noticed one in the right size, on ebay, I decided to pop for it. It was the "Sheriff" model, like this, but without the acorn cord.

f42lrez.jpg

What really attracted me was these vent holes. (The chin strap holes were a put-off, but I sometimes use a long bootstring with a wooden bead, for a wind string.)

P1050193.jpg

A good soak and a reshape, and this is what I came up with.

P1050195.jpg

P1050192.jpg

By this point, it was looking very familiar. It didn't take long to identify the likeness. The black hat is my Akubra Federation Deluxe. The brown one is the Stratton Sheriff.

P1050191.jpg

Given a price difference of about $45, the Stratton becomes a possibility. Since the total cost of mine (including shipping) was $16.54, I'm delightfully happy!

P1050185.jpg

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
now thats some fancy work, you did very well on it. i can see a nice resemblence there as well. Tell me, how do the felts match up? Same thickness? durability? (hard to tell at this point, i know) softness?

all in all, great job!

:eusa_clap

Stoney

Practically Family
Nicely done, as always, J.T. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

I haven't seen a Stratton hat since the 1970s , but back then they made some really good quality hats for law enforcement. I knew a couple of Iowa State Troopers who wore them and they were nice. I'm assuming that since the demand has been pretty constant for these Trooper and Sheriff hats that the quality is still quite good.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the kind words, Gentlemen.

MississippiLong said:
Tell me, how do the felts match up? Same thickness? durability? (hard to tell at this point, i know) softness?

My general impression is that the felts are about the same thickness and have about the same amount of stiffener (not too much, in either). Since they are both fur (rabbit) it would be expected that they would be equally durable. (I know, somebody is going to say Australian rabbits are more durable than American rabbits...:D)

The one difference I noticed is that the hairs in my Akubra are "finer" than those in the Stratton. It's not a "head-to-head" comparison, though. The Akubra is a Federation Deluxe, which is made of the fine "underbelly" fur (thus the extra cost over the standard Federation). Akubra brags that it takes EIGHT rabbits to make one Federation Deluxe.

I'd really like to be able to pet the Sheriff with one hand and a regular Federation with the other.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
J.T.Marcus said:
A couple of weeks ago, there was a discussion of Stratton hats. When I noticed one in the right size, on ebay, I decided to pop for it. It was the "Sheriff" model, like this, but without the acorn cord.

P1050185.jpg
Looks good in the photo. If it looks good in person, then you have a winner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24