Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homemodded M1902 Campaign Hat

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Started as a cheap wool western hat off ebay. Bought it because of its economy, it's folded brim edge, and its shade of felt, not too brown or silver belly.

Took the wire out of the brim edge.

Had to stiffen the felt with some spray stuff I have, that I will not use again because it was a $5.00 hardware store purchase instead of a $13.00 plus shipping actual hat stiffener. It worked, but the brim underside lost its nice felt finish, and instead it's a bit ugly with shiny areas and you can't sand the stuff because it turns white. It was not the spray shellac I thought it was but some polymer crap. I worked it a bit and it's better than it started out. I love the learning curve in the modding hobby.

The ribbon is the original off the M1899 hat I did, I chose it because it would give the hat its own look, it was the right size ribbon, and the bow was already painstakingly done and ready to go.

Needed to add holes, felt reinforcements and grommets for the chin string the M1902s had. (I've seen M1904 as a designation, and M1905! Take your pick, I could be more specific, but I now very few care what "M" it is.

Using leather punches I add a 1 1/2" Star Vent to each side. I have to learn to not work too fast, because I get impatient, this is evident in things not quite lined up just right, but I don't sweat it too much because the variations in originals I've see in photos make it clear that mass production effected the hats in the same way.

Added second row of brim stitching. More practice with the sewing machine will only improve the work. I view these efforts as prototypes and learning exercises anyway.

It was an XL size hat, so I added a leather sweatband over the fabric sweatband and a few felt spacers and it fits fine.

Reshaped the crown, which was not a 6" when open, but probably only a 5", nonetheless it's okay for my purposes, to a fore and aft crease...and voila!

How it was:

KGrHqVpEFYYD59E3BQV8yqYYL60_57_zps732ab3c1.jpg

KGrHqJrgF6jS-r2wBQV8ywWW3Q60_57_zps41d02a50.jpg

KGrHqZpgFBitTE3BQV8zDMdV60_57_zpsb701443a.jpg

And now:

mms_picture3_zpsf91f129e.jpg

mms_picture4_zps25c833b1.jpg

mms_picture5_zps726aab7b.jpg

dean

deanglen

Found a video about this model of campaign hat from Ikes Grunt auction site:

[video=youtube;Wu-F54vJvps]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu-F54vJvps[/video]

dean

TomS

One Too Many
I really like the old campaign hats. I would enjoy owning one of them my self someday!

1961MJS

I really like the old campaign hats. I would enjoy owning one of them my self someday!

Hi

Both Mike Moore and Tony B (Tumwater) made me an old style Campaign hat. I didn't go for vents though. The ribbon on both is per Dean's original thread. The one from Mike Moore is in Bone and has become sort of a summer dress hat. The one Tony made is either Sahara or Sand (he didn't know for sure) and is more period correct color wise.

I'd suggest using Western weight felt because apparently the dress weight felts aren't as big around. The common Spanish American War crowns take up a little more felt than a center dent so you need to start with a 5.75 or 6 inch crown for a 7 and 3/8 long oval.

Buckaroo Hatter Version:

Roughrider_01.jpg

Tumwater Hats Version:

Tumwater_Roughrider_03_Post.jpg

Another option would be one of Art's Nutria blanks.

Later

1961MJS

I was wondering if an open road style hat would be a good candidate for conversion to a campaign hat? Whatsha think, dean?[huh]

Hi

The brim dimensions are fine, but I don't remember what the crown height is. If the open crown is at or above 5.75 inches, then I'm not sure the term conversion applies. Re-crease maybe, but not convert. Lotsa folds in a Campaign hat takin' up a lot of felt.

:D Later Y'all

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Good point, Mike.:) It really is not much more than a re-crease. I think the crown height is good - or close enough for government work! The brim binding would need to go, and stitching added....

It would be the cadillac or campaign hats, eh?:D

deanglen

Good point, Mike.:) It really is not much more than a re-crease. I think the crown height is good - or close enough for government work! The brim binding would need to go, and stitching added....

It would be the cadillac or campaign hats, eh?:D

I've read that officers often sported private purchase versions without brim stitching and a raw edge, sometimes with a edge ribbon like the Open Road. I don't have a lot of hard evidence of the edge ribboned versions, though. I think you're right the crown would be fine.

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland